Gun guru's, need help.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I helped my mom and dad move this weekend. I cant even begin to go into the details of the filth and mess that absolutely broke my heart that I saw when we moved them out of the house they were in. To my point: Dad has several rifles that were in a basement closet, lots of moisture, mold and mildew. All of the rifles have rust damage, no major pitting yet, but covered in rust. The wood seems to be ok, but are these guns now trash? Can they be salvaged, maybe re-blued? Dad has an old single shot 22 short, lever action 22 LR, semi auto 22 LR, lever action 44, and a pump action 270. I rescued the SKS from the shop several months ago. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Keep them, they can be saved to an extent...maybe some of the wood might need to be replaced with synthetic stocks or something but I would keep them, refurbish and maintain for their sentimental value and besides you're planning on passing them on to the boys at some point so it's kind of a no brainer right?

Outside rust means inside rust as well. You main concern is the bolt and acton and the inside of the barrel. I would clean them up inside and out and take to a gun smith to have them checked out.

Good News: I don't think they are ruined beyond repair for shooting, but you may have to reblue them if thats what you are wanting. I don't reblue any of my old family guns. I think they should show their character and history. I just keep them clean and shootable.

Thanks guys, yes, they will be handed down, I just want to stop the rust and keep them in shooting condtion. I hate to see a gun in this kind of condition.

The guns still have value. Most likely, the wood will be fine. The light surface rust should be cleaned first with oil and a rag. The rust that is left can be wiped LIGHTLY with 0000 steel wool. (I know this sounds crazy, but call and verify this with a gunsmith and he will concur). The wool will not scratch or damage the bluing as long as it is 0000. Do not use 000 as it will scratch. Just a side note: firearms that are refinished with a new bluing job will have less $ value than those that are left as original.

The guns still have value. Most likely, the wood will be fine. The light surface rust should be cleaned first with oil and a rag. The rust that is left can be wiped LIGHTLY with 0000 steel wool. (I know this sounds crazy, but call and verify this with a gunsmith and he will concur). The wool will not scratch or damage the bluing as long as it is 0000. Do not use 000 as it will scratch. Just a side note: firearms that are refinished with a new bluing job will have less $ value than those that are left as original.

Thank you, found that out when we had dads 1911 apraised many years ago. Thankfully he had that retired in a oily rag packed in a briefcase.

Back