gotta ask (Busa Good First Bike?)

Pinned,
I think your question has validity! I think the Hayabusa is a great first bike for maybe the first time rider with Pancreatic Cancer that only has three months to live, or maybe a Manic Depressive who might have just throw'n in the towel.
Me on the other hand had just come off a ZX11 and digging the garden of my first BUSA...........Ryder08

Go for it if you feel you're ready for it!
I was riding dirtbikes for 12 years, never rode a street bike over 250cc. Then, after not riding at all for 2.5 years, a friend borrowed me his R6. He tried to convince me to take his Busa instead but I wanted to get a feel for riding again first. I was looking for a Duc 996 at that time (or 1098 if affordable). I rode the R6 and when I returned it I took a quick spin on his Busa. I never liked the look and would have never considered to buy a Busa!
After the spin I thought about it for a week, it just felt so damn right, well balanced, smooth... I bought my Busa one week later!! I did never regret my decision and would not trade my Busa against a Duc or any other bike. I am just cruising around and I have a ton of respect for that bike and drive really responsible. I drive fast at times, but I am always aware of my environment, street conditions and especially the jerks around me.
Any bike can kill you, but everybody around you as well!!

:welcome: and take heed to all of the great advice given. we each have our own success or tragedy stories of starting out. as long as you ride within your limits/abilities on whatever you decide is the best way to begin. :thumbsup:

actually this 08 busa that i currently own is my first bike and i took it real slow and tested my limits in a closed area and got a good feel for the bike and now i love it i couldnt have asked for a better bike it handles great and is in no way as scary as i thought it would be but i dont let that get to my head bc im still always very cautious bc u have to remember it is god among bikes but to answer ur question it is def a great first bike and like others have posted u can get hurt on anything goodluck riding

Can I dream and forum,

The good thing is that this question applied to dream and myself. I have just picked up a 2000 busa for my first bike too. Tell you the truth, I am scared to death of it. It is in the shop getting worked on, and I am contemplating getting a trailer so I can bring it home instead of riding it back. Granted, as I go t sleep everynight, all I do is dream that I am on it, so it is quite the paradox. I have already bought the best gear that I can aford, but strapping it on and giving it a go makes me a little uneasy. Some of the guys are ribbing me at work already, but that does not bother me....:moon:. One of the guys does not even wear a lid and the other already wants to upgrade his bike so that we can take some distance rides. So if you see a guy on a busa going 10 mph in a big parking lot armored all to hell.....just give it some time...and get the hell out of my way. lol! Put up some pics once you get here deam. I will so the same. El Paso has year round riding weather so I have pleanty of time to learn before I take it to work.

AC

Have had my Busa now for 8 months it is a 2008 model I have just completed a 4000km trip with 2 other bikes around the South island here in NZ. What a bike apart from being sore under the hamsstrings which is attributed to not wearing leather pants, I found I had no probs with shoulders or wrists and cruised between 110-120kmph averages 56mpg which was beteer than a 1200Bandit and a VFR750 Honda. The bike never missed a beat and will go in for its 600okm service very soon. Paint wore very well with no stone chips etc. I did find the corner of the fairing annoying as the speed we were cruising at caused the drips to drip into the gloves and pants better waterproof gear would help. The bike is wonderful to ride and the damper system is superb power in any gear will get you out of trouble. I dont think I would leave my Yoshimura R77 slipons on when touring they do look nice but do create an annying vibration between 3500-4500rpm whereas the standard ones wouldnt. Create to have confidence in distances to ride on the size of tank.

As a first large street bike again it is up to the rider we all have choices on how hard we can ride and how fast these are but they can be ridden like any other tourere or street bike.

I have to agree with Hawaii on this one. Except I kept my 600 for two years. I had my Busa for just over three months when I hit a tree on it. It only takes a split second of stuipity to get yourself in to deep on this bike. If you do go for it just take it slow and always know your limits. What ever you decide injoy it.
Welcome to the board,
Jim

its what you make of it.
I started on a leter bike and haven't had any problems.
you sound like a reasonable person with self control so i see no problems.
if someone doesn't have the common sence to ride within their limits. then they shouldn't ride at all.

no one promised you tomorrow so enjoy life today. welcome to the board and enjoy your new ride.

Hi, new to the board and to street bikes. I was just cruising around some of the "stickes" and reading up on as many posts as possible. I like the mentality of most the users of these forums. I had only ridden a couple dirt bikes when I was young and had been riding an old Suzuki 400 (early 80's) for a couple months when I bought my '08 Busa. I love it. An incredible bike with plenty of everything and great potential if one ever needed more. Unfortunately for me, I have 8-9 months out of the year in Alaska that I CAN'T ride my bike. I only have a couple hundred miles on her that I put on in the weekend before having to put her in storage and am absolutely excited to get back on and ride next summer. So bad, it's been killing me. I've been dreaming about it every day.

I hope all is workin out for you and your new ride. :beerchug:

Hi, new to the board and to street bikes. I was just cruising around some of the "stickes" and reading up on as many posts as possible. I like the mentality of most the users of these forums. I had only ridden a couple dirt bikes when I was young and had been riding an old Suzuki 400 (early 80's) for a couple months when I bought my '08 Busa. I love it. An incredible bike with plenty of everything and great potential if one ever needed more. Unfortunately for me, I have 8-9 months out of the year in Alaska that I CAN'T ride my bike. I only have a couple hundred miles on her that I put on in the weekend before having to put her in storage and am absolutely excited to get back on and ride next summer. So bad, it's been killing me. I've been dreaming about it every day.

I hope all is workin out for you and your new ride. :beerchug:

What part of Alaska?
Back in the day I did some work on Endicott Island.

Doh. I just realized how dumb I am to ask what part, I mean if you can ride for as much as 4 months out of the year you must be down in the south somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on movin. Haha. Definitely.

Actually, I'm from Fairbanks. It's about smack dab in the middle of Alaska.

I realised it was from 2003, but the post before me was from the 9th of this month so I figured people were still postin.

wow, good thing for stickies. i was curious to ask. great advice and good pointers given. I hate to be the one to pull a post back from the grave but thanks for a sticky on this. Looks like a good forum!

I have to admit it, the BUS was my first bike in over 18yrs, but in the 2yrs that I have been riding it, I will never look at a smaller bike,with the exeption of some of the litre class, and Triumph. I feel that it is the ultimate motorcycle, with 22,000 miles of touring in just 2yrs, it can;t be beat!!!

highly opinionated 53 y/o Busa ryder, best bike on the planet, very managable power and all you need to do is take time to feel the bike ,practice safety, and watch your love for this machine grow. It's all about the ryde. g8rboy

I got the busa for my first bike and i had no problems except for a the beautyful woman wanting me to ride the on the back haha..just take it slow and when the time is right give it 2 her hard

Back