Golden child or 1320straighliner

turbojonn

Registered
O.K. I've had this bike for a year now. To make a super long story short, I've replaced tons of stuff. It's a Mr. Turbo system and by todays standards is fairly antiquated. It has an FMU that is ufo like in shape with a set nut for fuel pressure adjustment and a set screw for rising rate adjustment. It has an external mechanical wastegate and a Rajay turbo (standard issue with Mr. Turbo).
At the dyno-shootout yesterday it first popped the intake off and then on the second run it popped like it was lean on top so I had the guy stop ritght away. It's had a rich problem below 3500 since I've owned it and it seems as though the last attempt at fixing it didn't do the trick (new stator, rctifier, wiring harness). Now, since the last fix, it would appear as though it is lean on top. The rich low end is one thing to deal with, the lean on top problem is a much bigger issue. If I would have let the dyno guy hammmer the bike I thnk it would have melted.
I have set up a loose appoinment with the only guy in our area that has a good rep. for tuning with a dyno. The pc2 is leaned out on the bottoem and full rich (35) on top. The thing is that I'd love to take it to someone who knows turbo Busas specifically. Further, if I have a hopeless system and I'm beating a dead horse I'd want to know. The turbo has no loose play side to side but it doesn't spin like a top. It's a bit sticky and I don't know if this is normal for old style Rajays or if mine is gummed up and causing some of this low end richness. I also don't know if I need to get a boost activated/controlled fmu. (I'm editing this part- I'm pretty sure it is boost activated). The more I learn about what my bike has for a system the more doubtfull I am that it will ever be able to not burn itself up or stumble down low.
The fuel pressure is (and was) set at 42 but I don't know where it goes when the boost hits. The boost was set at 15-18 prior to the last round of work and the bike did not lean out on top, now it does. My little bit of knowledge about turbos (which ain't much) tells me to turn down the fuel pressue when the bike is at idle until it runs well and then turn up the rising rate rate to get the pressure on top?? My common sense tells me to ask the two of you if either of you want to take a crack at it. I'm not asking for anything free. Just asking if this bike an it's misbehaving sounds like a problem you could fix or a gremlin type issue or a forget it and get new parts issue or a part it out and buy one that works isuue. I think I've used up all of the locals knowledge and need to move to the next level. Hellllpppppp!

<!--EDIT|turbojonn
Reason for Edit: "fme IS boost activated (I think)"|1147879633 -->

Carillo rods, smoothed ports and a spacer. That's all that I'm sure of. I don't know about the springs. It has an 02 clutch pack too.

talk to buzzard (kerry d) i think you know him, he's here local too or talk to yag also local
smile.gif

SuzukiHayabusa.org and you will get some answers...I bought a turbo but I have no mechanical knowledge...

Probably not the right FMU, Mr Turbo believes you only need a 1 to 1 reg. and the ECU will compensate for the rest. Your probably lean back firing it at that boost level. Has the bike actually been tuned at this level on a dyno? Normally these systems get you back to stock HP at 8 PSI. The air cleaner and rest of the system are pretty restrictive.

It was mapped at I believe 8 psi, but didn't lean out on a run last year with 15 psi. Now it's acting lean all over. I'll put it on George Deans dyno and let him try to map it out. The fmu unit looks to be adjustable? It looks pysically similar to motorheads basic fmu. Maybe the rising rate adjustment got tweeked somehow. I'm going to call Mr. Turbo too and see if they know what might have happened to a bike that was once o.k. on the top that now lean backfires. Could be plugs? I'll check those. Could be a lost map (pc2 gremlin) I'll check that too. I really don't know what the hell to do. I'm getting burned out on this bike that always seems one step away from runing like it should. $2000 and one year later it runs worse that it did when I took it by the dyno to get a little rough spot mapped out. Maybe the old map was based on the bikes faulty stator and rectifier and all it needs is new mapping.
Well, I'll have to wait for George's first opening at the end of May to see if the mapping pans out. If it doesn't I'm taking the boost pipe off to see if it runs better without it. Last year it didn't but the most recent mechanic said it did.
I've read some other turbo guys tales of woe. I remember one guy who called his bike turdblow. I think he gave up and sold the bike. I'm not far behind him. I loved getting the bike and taking it from a torn down daily driver to a shiny trailer queen but I have yet to be on the bike and truly enjoy it. It's polished and has carbon fiber this and that and looks great just sitting there, and that's just about all it's done for almost a year. Thank you all for your help in the past. I've learned alot and I wouldn't have gotten this far without it. There's just so much to learn and this may not even be a turbo issue. I also don't know if the Mr.Turbo kit could be virtually untunable.

<!--EDIT|turbojonn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147762033 -->

The PC2's had a tendancy to loose the maps so i would check that for sure. The FMU's can change and have shim problems so check that pressure also. It change for no reason. Turbos can be great if they're setup right, but they are not a set and forget bike. COnstant watch over things is needed. I would check those first.

Back