Going To Try Smoking. Please School Me.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Picked up and Oklahoma Joes smoker today. Stopped and got a 5.15lb brisket. Its all prepped and in the fridge. I have the smoker seasoning now. So the big question is, how hard is this?
Been doing a lot of reading, and 225 to 250, 1.5 hours for every pound of meat is almost 8 hours.
Cook for 6 hours, remove and wrap in foil to cook the remaining 2.
Smoke until internal temp is 180 to 190, let rest for 45 minutes, slice and serve.
Plan to put the brisket on in the morning around 0600.
How easy is this, kind of nervous.

Last edited:
We got a Brinkman smoker a few years back...Smoke chickens like 4 at a time, haven't done the beef thing yet. Love it...super easy, load it, cook 4 hrs, done!

Picked up and Oklahoma Joes smoker today. Stopped and got a 5.15lb brisket. Its all prepped and in the fridge. I have the smoker seasoning now. So the big question is, how hard is this?
Been doing a lot of reading, and 225 to 250, 1.5 hours for every pound of meat is almost 8 hours.
Cook for 6 hours, remove and wrap in foil to cook the remaining 2.
Smoke until internal temp is 180 to 190, let rest for 45 minutes, slice and serve.
Plan to put the brisket on in the morning around 0600.
How easy is this, kind of nervous.

...I'll be over for dinner bro.:D

Just keep an eye on the temp, if it high adjust the vents to accommodate the temp, high is better than low.
Make sure you e thermometer to judge if the meat is done, not by time. Time is a reference

20160417_061331.jpg
Thanks John, I do have a thermometer handy. Beautiful morning here in the Tehachapi mountains.

Last edited:
Made my own BBQ sauce with Coke and Ketchup, little Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, black pepper and bold/spicy A-1. Got a little kick to it!

It was just a tad tougher than I would have preferred but the flavor was perfect. I didn't get to let it rest for as long I wanted, ran put of time and had to eat. Learned alot today about this smoker and have some things I will do different next time. All in all it was a great day.

Looks great James... I have that same smoker but maybe 50 years older :)

I have a Electric Smoker , Have done everything in it , Key is to have moping sauce in a spray bottle to keep it moist , Spray every hour

so this is what you were talking about...looks great, i'm on my way :lol:

It seems that beer drinking and cigar smoking go well while sitting on the deck to keep an eye on the fire. Found my second favorite hobby.

It was just a tad tougher than I would have preferred but the flavor was perfect. I didn't get to let it rest for as long I wanted, ran put of time and had to eat. Learned alot today about this smoker and have some things I will do different next time. All in all it was a great day.

I struggled to get a tender brisket to the point I had given up. Then a guy I work with told me to cook it a 225, seperate the point from the flat before cooking, and cook it until it feels tender when you insert a fork. He also had me wrap it at a certain internal temperate and not to worry about the final temp but use the fork test only. When I cooked it his way it was really good. I will talk to him on Monday and get the all of the details

Back