Gilles/Sato Rearset Question---Shifter Nub

goblinsix

Registered
I am trying to choose between Sato and Gilles. I can get them both from someone for the same price. But I might need an extender for the shifter. I don't like some of those little nubs that they put on there. My foot has a hard time with the smaller ones because some of them only stick out long enough to cover my big toe. Do they make extenders for them by chance? I'd hate to buy a Sato or Gilles and find out the hard way...so I'll toss it out to the expert audiance.

Regards,
John

Hey John,
Not an expert but I'll give you my 2 cents. I'm running the Sato Drag rearsets on my K8 and I dont think it's gonna be an issue at all, at least with the Sato's-I'm not famillar with the Gilles. The stock shift lever "nub" is 1 3/4" long and 5/8" diameter, but the rubber is barely 1 1/2" long and tapers down at the end. The Sato "nub" is also 1 3/4" long but is the same 5/8" diameter for the whole length. Sure feels a whole lot better than the stocker-especially with the Buell pegs which push your feet out about 3/4". And it would be very easy to make up a longer nub if you really wanted as it's just screwed in from the back. You could probably even shim it out 1/4" as the screw has plenty of thread. I've got mine installed over the co2 cylinder clevis snugged up with blue loctite and it works great. The difference in precision and feel is quite impressive-especially with Factory Pro shift star in it. Here's a couple shots-excuse the mess as I just installed a Macintosh 0-6" arm and new chain and took it out for a last ride of the year last weekend. Still have to change the oil and install a Brocks clutch cushion before I clean it up and bring it inside.

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

You could use a spacer and move it out some!

Re: Satos
I think it'll be a non issue for you, I have size 12 1/2 boots, both rigid plastic track boots and full leather touring boots. Once I got them dialed in (adjusted for me), I never even think of them....which, to me is the true measure of good equipment, they don't rise to your thoughts during use! I do extended tours with them and ride the track with them, I couldn't ask for more. BTW, many compliments from onlookers so they look the part as well. I'm sure Gilles are cool too, I just am speaking highly for Satos. Good luck on your choice. Raydog

P1000369.JPG

P1010341.JPG

P1010604.JPG

Nice pics.

Not to jack the thread (although its seems the question was answered), but I have one question/issue. I have a Tobin seat, so I'd like the pegs a bit lower--at least that's what I think. But, when I checked Sato's website, their "standard" rearsets for the Busa move the peg up and back from stock, while their drag rearsets move the peg down and back from stock. Sato says the drag rearsets won't work with stock exhaust.

So, for anyone with a Tobin seat, a stock exhaust (well, I have Yosh bolt-ons) and Sato rearsets: does moving the pegs up and back make the riding position more comfortable? Put another way, does moving the peg up and back tend to straighten your knee to make it a bit more comfortable?

Nice pics.

Not to jack the thread (although its seems the question was answered), but I have one question/issue. I have a Tobin seat, so I'd like the pegs a bit lower--at least that's what I think. But, when I checked Sato's website, their "standard" rearsets for the Busa move the peg up and back from stock, while their drag rearsets move the peg down and back from stock. Sato says the drag rearsets won't work with stock exhaust.

So, for anyone with a Tobin seat, a stock exhaust (well, I have Yosh bolt-ons) and Sato rearsets: does moving the pegs up and back make the riding position more comfortable? Put another way, does moving the peg up and back tend to straighten your knee to make it a bit more comfortable?

Up and back..folds the knee more and may lower the knee just a hair. I have New Image seat ( maker of Tobin seats ) and Gillies rear sets adjusted up 2 holes and back think 2 holes. IT puts me more into a race stance, and after about 1hr seat time....I find myselft straightening my leg out to the side.
I think Vortex reatsets have one hole to adjust lower than stock, but that still very very little diff from stock.

I am trying to choose between Sato and Gilles. I can get them both from someone for the same price. But I might need an extender for the shifter. I don't like some of those little nubs that they put on there. My foot has a hard time with the smaller ones because some of them only stick out long enough to cover my big toe. Do they make extenders for them by chance? I'd hate to buy a Sato or Gilles and find out the hard way...so I'll toss it out to the expert audiance.

Regards,
John

Reallly looking forward to this project John, this will be one of the sharpest looking white Hayabusa's I have done to date. :beerchug:

Regards,
John

You could always pic the set you want...then have a shop mill you a longer toe peg to fit your needs. Just a thought for you.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I bought the Gilles rear set a couple of weeks ago...I am taking it to Greg today to start all of the Winter work !!!

Regards,
John

Back