getting an sv 650

him

"THE HAYABUSA STUNT GUY"
Donating Member
Registered
Im about to purchase a sv 650 2001 for my wife has 12k and a rebuilt title. Bike cost 2800 bucks but havent gotten it yet. I test rode it the other day...its grossly underpowered but ive been riding this monster for so long it just seems that way. the question i have is on body kits. Where do i get them from? Also how do you change the handle bars i want them to be a little lower than what they are...maybe i should check with my wife first but i still would like to have them setting lower. Let me know if you have any info or even what you think about the purchase

First off I do not agree on the "grossly underpowerd" part. It has roughly 70 rwhp and weighs in at the same as a GSXR600. As far as the body work I'm not sure the best place to get it, Suzuki makes some OEM stuff or you can go through shark skins. I take it this is not the S model so to lower the bars I belive you can use the SV650S clip-on's to replace the current bar design.

him, one of my best friends has one, it has been a great bike! Vey easy to ride, dang near bullet proof, and even being down on power still fun to wheelie. Good choice, imo. I don't know about the mods, his has about 10,000 miles on it, stock.

i beg to differ on the power issue there is a exteremely big difference in the difference in accels. I can pin the throttle and it doesnt have that hold on for dear life feel. Does turn in a little quicker though. I want the body kit that kind resemble the r6...here i go again with i want and its not even mine
blush.gif

i think your paying too much for it... i just picked up a duc monster with less than 4000 miles for about 500 bucks more than your getting ready to put in a rebuilt/salvage bike..

keep shopping man.... but do get one.. I've had so much fun on my little twin it's amazing.. totally different riding experience from the 'busa

RE:power..

well duh.. haha of course it feels grossly underpowered to the 'busa..

whole different world.. you just gotta remember that you aren't buying it for the top speed.. your buying it to have something to play around with on small two lanes, or backroads.

Then they are a blast.

Actually its for the ball and chain. After riding that for 15 mins you should have saw me hop back on the busa. Felt like a rookie again shid was surging and shid. so 2800 is too much
rock.gif

Actually its for the ball and chain. After riding that for 15 mins you should have saw me hop back on the busa. Felt like a rookie again shid was surging and shid.  so 2800 is too much
rock.gif
I think $2800 is way to much for that bike with a salvage title. You can buy one with a clean title for close to that.

Its not salvage its rebuilt. guy says it was down but now hard and the owner had it totaled to get the insurance money. I walked around the bike...there is a scratch on the engine case so i dont think he's bsing but if you guys advice against it then im out casue i really dont know to much about buying used bikes from indivdual sellers
blush.gif

salvage is what it was before it was rebuilt..

salvage means totalled.. rebuilt means somebody bought the totalled bike, and rebuilt it and got it signed off on as being "ok to put back on the street"

Depends who did the work as to whether it's still good or not.. but the money is way high for it..

go find a used one thats never been down with the same mileage and I bet you can buy it for the same, or very nearly the same money.

What kind of body kits are you looking for? There's the OEM Quarter or HAlf Fairings, or there's full on race setups that people get for things like racing in the SV Cup and such.

I have a coworker who races an SV and has a full-on set-up like that, body, bars, etc... I'll ping her and find out where she got it all if you want.

cool im mean i test road the shid out of this bike and it didnt have a single problem. Had it at 8k in first a lot and went thorough the rpms fast. Then i check for leacks and unusual wear. Its a sound bike and i didnt see anything wrong with it...i might talk him down a couple hundred more.

On the body parts could you check ill be needing the r1 looking lights and nose fairing. also a different set of handle bars.

I could have bought a 2001 sv last month with 4,000 miles on her for $1700.00.....but now things are cheaper here in Arkansas far as resale on used vehicles.......but a girl here went and bought it......it was the fully faired model...wheelie monster and a carver....later yall...gone riding..!!!!!

cool im mean i test road the shid out of this bike and it didnt have a single problem.  Had it at 8k in first a lot and went thorough the rpms fast.  Then i check for leacks and unusual wear.  Its a sound bike and i didnt see anything wrong with it...i might talk him down a couple hundred more.  

On the body parts could you check ill be needing the r1 looking lights and nose fairing.  also a different set of handle bars.
If you're talking about the SV650s fairing with the split lights, that's an OEM part, figure any Suzuki dealer can tell you, but probably any discount ORM place will do you better.

I'll see what I can find out about the bars.

Saw them on ebay 150bucks and counting. I've been doing research and a bike with a salvage title goes for about 2700 this is rebuilt and cost 2800 only thing it hurts in the end is the resale value. I figure i remove the aftermarket exhast and go back to the stock and then start throwing fairngs on it have my way with it and sell it for what i bought it for or part the shid out. I think im gonna go with this bike
blush.gif

After further research i've decided not to purchase the bike unless he drops another 800 bucks off the price. Dealer tradin in on the bike is 2440 and thats on a good bike. Let you know what happens
wink.gif

Back