gen1 exhaust on a gen2?

Good question...

Aftermarket cans for Gen I were "bolt-ons" where Gen II uses "slip-ons"

BUT the Gen II stock mufflers can also be unbolted at the same point. Are the measurements the same? Anybody?

Also, it may depend on whether the new cans use a strap mount or a fixed position bolt mount. The strap mount would allow a little movement for fitment

I've seen someone on here do it. Something about using the right side one on the left side, left side on right, etc... Trying to remember who it was. It was a black/grey busa I know that much.

im pretty sure sixpack put some 1st gen slip ons on his k8
there is a thread on it somewhere.

You are correct sir! That's who I was thinking of. He took off his cut cans to put on these! :beerchug:

I have gen1 bolt ons on my gen2, just because they were cheap and much lighter(I think they look alot better than stock gen2 mufflers anyway). They work great until I can afford what I really want.
These are 2Brothers.
Where the muffler bolts to the stock midpipe on gen 1 and 2 there is a 3 bolt pattern. Any gen1 muffler will bolt to the gen2, only it must be switched to the other side, as the gen2 midpipe flange/bolt pattern is the mirror image of the gen1.
The mufflers must have the sliding clamp/hanger on them(stockers have permantly located mounting tab/hole). It must be slid up the pipe a few inches to line up with the bolt on the the gen2 passenger peg.
If you buy gen1 bolt ons and don't like the idea of the brand emblems on the inside of the muffler(as they would be switched to the other side now), you can drill the rivets around the midpipe end and simply switch the end caps and re rivet.
I have also been told that if you have gen1 slipons that have an attached aftermarket midpipe, which slips over the end of the header pipe, that they can be used on a gen2s assuming they have the sliding hanger bracket, as most do.
My friend has a set of gen1 Yoshi slipons with atttached midpipe coming for his gen2, should be here next week. I will have exact details on how well they work then, as I will be the one putting them on.
Here's mine, before and after of where I cut 5.5" of length off of my mufflers. You can see in the pic where they are still long ,that the finish is damaged near the hanger. That is the position the hanger was mounted to fit the gen1 passenger peg, it was clamped too tight.
I choose not to flip the end caps and keep the stock label rivet holes facing inward, as I didn't want logos on them anyway. I put new rivets in the 2 logo holes on each side, although it wasn't needed.
It's a simple and cheap way for some looks and sound, as well as a noticeable improvement handling curves from a significant weight loss.
Gen1 slipons and bolt ons are plentiful and cheap, and an improvement worth doing.:beerchug:
You'll also need the 3 mounting bolts, nuts and washers to attach the gen1 bolt ons to the gen2 midpipes, as the stock gen2 mufflers have threaded studs permanently mounted to them. They attach to the gen2 midpipes with nuts only(cheaper for production).
The gen2 also has the chrome bolt on heatsheild on the factory midpipe, I took mine off and had my Dad cut the bracket off the midpipe for better looks.
My Dad's and Engineer, former machinist tool and die maker, and even he said that cutting those 3 point mounting tabs for the heatsheilds was a pain, it's a difficult angle for a band saw and the stainless steel is very hard to cut.
Other than that(which isn't even needed, you may find gen1 bolt ons that's looks flow well the stock heatsheild)it's an easy job.

(They also aren't Akrapovics as the seller claimed and put stickers on to try and fake it, I bought them sight unseen but I wasn't upset as they worked perfect for what I wanted anyway. I paid $200 and have seen many go for $100 to $150)

SDC11031.jpg

SDC11047.jpg

SDC11028.jpg

SDC11030.jpg

Gen 1 slip-ons on my Gen 2.

PIC_0391.jpg

PIC_0395.jpg

PIC_0393.jpg

PIC_0396.jpg

Left the heat sheilds on because I catch myself resting my boot on it.

Back