Gen 3 Heel guards

Kinda think something like this may suit the bike.

I never have paid attention when removing the guards, but I wonder if there's a flat area where could drill and tap holes so mounting is in the front
Here’s the backside of the heel guard mount. I’m sure you could get creative and make something that would mount securely.

IMG_3284.jpeg

I was hoping to get some time to mess around this weekend with it, but didn't get to. I'll see what I come up with at lunch today or tomorrow.

I was hoping to get some time to mess around this weekend with it, but didn't get to. I'll see what I come up with at lunch today or tomorrow.

What is the I.D of the 2 mounting holes, and what is the distance between the 2, center to center?
I ask because I have a new set of Moto-Composites real carbon fiber heel guards to put on the '18 gsxr1k.
They're still in the plastic, as all 4 stock bolt heads stripped like monkey metal when trying to remove them(yay Suzuki for cheaping out on them).
They won't be hard to remove, but waiting on some more titanium to show up first.
I was just curious if they would interchange with the Gen3, as the '23 1k is still the same bike since '17.
I can measure them this evening.
If they would fit, then they would be an option.

Screenshot_20230710-113646_Gallery.jpg

What is the I.D of the 2 mounting holes, and what is the distance between the 2, center to center?
I ask because I have a new set of Moto-Composites real carbon fiber heel guards to put on the '18 gsxr1k.
They're still in the plastic, as all 4 stock bolt heads stripped like monkey metal when trying to remove them(yay Suzuki for cheaping out on them).
They won't be hard to remove, but waiting on some more titanium to show up first.
I was just curious if they would interchange with the Gen3, as the '23 1k is still the same bike since '17.
I can measure them this evening.
If they would fit, then they would be an option.

On my drawing the center to center is 77.5mm. ID of holes are 6.5mm.

Dang, was hopeful. It seems our heel guards are unique, lol.

I use AutoCAD to model things, but solely because I've used it for 20yrs althought other than personal stuff, always in 2D. I should have learned the 3D aspect in 2016 when I first got a printer, but took me 5yrs to have a reason to learn 3D. I've read good things about SolidWorks and Fusion 360, mostly hear about Fusion and while the pricnciple of drawing things in 3D is the same, it truly seems like Fusion 360 (if I'd have time to sit down and learn it) would make drawing things much easier versus AutoCAD. Point being, if you feel like you're struggling in SW, give Fusion 360 a try. it's free for personal use too or was. If decide to try and happens to not be, I have the older version install file so can use for personal use legally. BTW it's getting close to you needing a printer now. :)

Dang, was hopeful. It seems our heel guards are unique, lol.

I use AutoCAD to model things, but solely because I've used it for 20yrs althought other than personal stuff, always in 2D. I should have learned the 3D aspect in 2016 when I first got a printer, but took me 5yrs to have a reason to learn 3D. I've read good things about SolidWorks and Fusion 360, mostly hear about Fusion and while the pricnciple of drawing things in 3D is the same, it truly seems like Fusion 360 (if I'd have time to sit down and learn it) would make drawing things much easier versus AutoCAD. Point being, if you feel like you're struggling in SW, give Fusion 360 a try. it's free for personal use too or was. If decide to try and happens to not be, I have the older version install file so can use for personal use legally. BTW it's getting close to you needing a printer now. :)

Yeah, I thought there was a chance some parts had been shared, oh well.
I have heard that Fusion360 is good too, but I've never used it, or used AutoCad in many years.
The company I work for uses SolidWorks, and I was recently promoted from QC to Engineering/New Product Design...so I need to get proficient soon, and so far so good, no worries.
My Dad is a retired Engineer, and is a wiz with SolidWorks, so I have him and a coworker/friend who is as good, to help if I get stuck...as the tools and ways to accomplish the same things seems endless, lol.
And yes, a 3D printer in the future could make some really cool parts, but, for right now...that's your department, lol.

Yeah, I thought there was a chance some parts had been shared, oh well.
I have heard that Fusion360 is good too, but I've never used it, or used AutoCad in many years.
The company I work for uses SolidWorks, and I was recently promoted from QC to Engineering/New Product Design...so I need to get proficient soon, and so far so good, no worries.
My Dad is a retired Engineer, and is a wiz with SolidWorks, so I have him and a coworker/friend who is as good, to help if I get stuck...as the tools and ways to accomplish the same things seems endless, lol.
And yes, a 3D printer in the future could make some really cool parts, but, for right now...that's your department, lol.

Good to hear! I think SW is more powerful than Fusion, or so it seems. Man, with any of these programs... .there's a million ways to do 1 thing, which is good and bad, just depends on the habit/way you do it. One thing I've always told the people I've trained with zero CAD experience... Practice, practice, practice. The more you do use it, the muscle memory starts working and doing commands without thinking. I have no clue how SW works, but with CAD you can use toolbars and/or commands. Hands down, learn the 1/2 key commands, it's WAY faster to get things done than a tool bar.

If ever wanted something you made printed, just let me know.

I did work on the heel guard, but mainly due to personal needs since I'm missing one and drives me nuts knowing they're different. Designing mold of it to make a pair in forged carbon. More or less a stock version with a smaller inset area in the middle, I thought it looked better smaller with the bolt head areas fitting close to the bolt. Will leave the center blank and put a vinyl SUZUKI decal in the center before clear coat.

Onto the revised heel guard for the thread now

Capture1.JPG

Good to hear! I think SW is more powerful than Fusion, or so it seems. Man, with any of these programs... .there's a million ways to do 1 thing, which is good and bad, just depends on the habit/way you do it. One thing I've always told the people I've trained with zero CAD experience... Practice, practice, practice. The more you do use it, the muscle memory starts working and doing commands without thinking. I have no clue how SW works, but with CAD you can use toolbars and/or commands. Hands down, learn the 1/2 key commands, it's WAY faster to get things done than a tool bar.

If ever wanted something you made printed, just let me know.

Right on man, I have a few part ideas for the future, nothing at the moment, but I appreciate the printing offer.
And for the key commands, vs tool bar, yes, they make it alot quicker.
Esc is used every time you change a tool in SW, so covering that, as well as the Cntrl and space bar with your left hand, including that also covers several of the letter keys commonly used, and does save alot of time.
That's the biggest thing for me now too, with so many ways to accomplish the same thing, it can be difficult to find the most efficient and quickest way.

Finally got back on the heel guards. Tried my best to come up with something that looks right, but I can't come up with anything close to looking correct. Any sort of pattern, shape, etc that I try always looks bad because it has to go around the mounting holes. I'm open to trying something if someone can sketch something up.

Came across these this morning. They have a chunk of other pre-preg carbon items for our bikes as well, in both twill and forged varieties.

Finally got back on the heel guards. Tried my best to come up with something that looks right, but I can't come up with anything close to looking correct. Any sort of pattern, shape, etc that I try always looks bad because it has to go around the mounting holes. I'm open to trying something if someone can sketch something up.

How about a 2 piece design then?
With a cover over the bolt holes, that snaps on, or has a couple small bolts in different locations?

How about a 2 piece design then?
With a cover over the bolt holes, that snaps on, or has a couple small bolts in different locations?

Totally doable, although on the cap or 2nd part of the part, the fitment will be tough since stuff printed in PLA has different dimensions than better filament types (and better printers).

Your suggestion gave me an idea.... Imagine if there were no holes on the front. On the back side, there's something that resembles a beltloop where potentially could slide the heel guards over the stock mount bolts go thru the back of the mount? Doesn't solve the problem to make a skeleton heel guard, but would clean up the front side. Could keep it solid and just have slight elevation changes, think embossed skeleton look.

Totally doable, although on the cap or 2nd part of the part, the fitment will be tough since stuff printed in PLA has different dimensions than better filament types (and better printers).

Your suggestion gave me an idea.... Imagine if there were no holes on the front. On the back side, there's something that resembles a beltloop where potentially could slide the heel guards over the stock mount bolts go thru the back of the mount? Doesn't solve the problem to make a skeleton heel guard, but would clean up the front side. Could keep it solid and just have slight elevation changes, think embossed skeleton look.

Cool...do your thing man, lol
we're waiting

Last edited:
Back