Gen 3 free or cost efective mods to enhance driveability and performance.

Robert 0046

Registered
If you happend to know some free mods to enhance driveability and performance feel free to share heres the first one suspension adjustment.This mod can help a lot and you can do it on your own for free.

IMG_0034.jpeg
Songs In A Minor Fallin GIF by Alicia Keys

#KickStandMod *

I agree 100% on suspension adjustment first thing, even though it's not really a mod, but, alot of people are unaware of it's importance and benefits.
Throw proper chain slack in there too, not just for the obvious things like premature wear or the chain coming off, but, that if the chain is too tight, it will limit the rear suspension's travel, which upsets not just the rear, but the front as well, as the front and rear work together, and directly effect one another.
Along the same lines as that would be lever adjustment, not only the in and out engagement point from the adjustment wheels, but loosening the perch bolts, and moving the levers up, down, left, and right, so that your fingers just 'fall' on to them, without having to lift your fingers up and over the levers, which also takes crtical time in an emergency braking situation(at 60mph you travel 88' per Second).
The shifter and brake lever can be adjusted up and down also, so your feet and ankles are at a good angle in relation to your knees and hips.
All these things combined can make a bike very comfortable, and with great handling, or very rough and awkward feeling.
I have seen newer and long term unaware riders hate bikes for this reason, then their faces lit up after riding it again after I made these simple changes for them.
And, tire pressure.
Tire type, riding conditions, rider prefference all come in to play, so there is no magic setting, and psi rises 2-4 psi on the average ride.
Just be aware that bike makers don't make tires, or want that liability, but putting 42psi cold in a tire that lists that as max psi is a Bad idea.
The psi effects the size of the contact patch of tire...the only thing between the bike and the road.
And again, these aren't mods, but they Are Basic, usually Overlooked or Unknown about, but Free adjustments that can make or break Any motorcycle.
After this, it will give you a much better idea if you need to make any comfort changes with aftermarket parts, like bar risers, drop pegs, seats, etc.
Cheapest mods you can buy, with best bang for the buck, spend $15 on a pair of 90° valve stems, they are worth their weight in gold for adjusting psi on the road side...when your gloves don't fit between the Hot rotor and stock valve stem.
As well as new grips, $10-$20, for something that fits and feels better in Your hands.

I don't know if the Gen3 comes with an oil-cooler guard or not either, but, if not, 3 times in the past I have made Free oil cooler guards.
I already had the safety wire, but it's only a couple bucks a roll if you don't.
I took the screens off of the oem air filters, folded and trimmed the edges, and safety wired them on(I save them for this purpose, and have 2 right now).
If you take your time, you get something that looks factory, and gives great protection.
I was about to do this again, on my '03 Gsxr1k, but I got a good deal on a matched set of black RRG guards, radiator and oil cooler, which I just put on.
I have no current pics of the last ones I did, but these will show you what I'm talking about.

You can also use these screens to glue in behind fairing openings, as they mold and shape easily.
Screens in fairings was big at one time, lol, but still looks good with the right application.

20231210_122314.jpg

20231210_122334.jpg

20231210_122427.jpg

20231210_122450.jpg

Last edited:
I agree 100% on suspension adjustment first thing, even though it's not really a mod, but, alot of people are unaware of it's importance and benefits.
Throw proper chain slack in there too, not just for the obvious things like premature wear or the chain coming off, but, that if the chain is too tight, it will limit the rear suspension's travel, which upsets not just the rear, but the front as well, as the front and rear work together, and directly effect one another.
Along the same lines as that would be lever adjustment, not only the in and out engagement point from the adjustment wheels, but loosening the perch bolts, and moving the levers up, down, left, and right, so that your fingers just 'fall' on to them, without having to lift your fingers up and over the levers, which also takes crtical time in an emergency braking situation(at 60mph you travel 88' per Second).
The shifter and brake lever can be adjusted up and down also, so your feet and ankles are at a good angle in relation to your knees and hips.
All these things combined can make a bike very comfortable, and with great handling, or very rough and awkward feeling.
I have seen newer and long term unaware riders hate bikes for this reason, then their faces lit up after riding it again after I made these simple changes for them.
And, tire pressure.
Tire type, riding conditions, rider prefference all come in to play, so there is no magic setting, and psi rises 2-4 psi on the average ride.
Just be aware that bike makers don't make tires, or want that liability, but putting 42psi cold in a tire that lists that as max psi is a Bad idea.
The psi effects the size of the contact patch of tire...the only thing between the bike and the road.
And again, these aren't mods, but they Are Basic, usually Overlooked or Unknown about, but Free adjustments that can make or break Any motorcycle.
After this, it will give you a much better idea if you need to make any comfort changes with aftermarket parts, like bar risers, drop pegs, seats, etc.
Cheapest mods you can buy, with best bang for the buck, spend $15 on a pair of 90° valve stems, they are worth their weight in gold for adjusting psi on the road side...when your gloves don't fit between the Hot rotor and stock valve stem.
As well as new grips, $10-$20, for something that fits and feels better in Your hands.
Great im 100% with your opinion

Maybe make an effort to really concentrate on a short checklist when you are stopping the bike. Especially if new. It's horribly embarrassing, but you may come back from a ride drained of adrenaline, tired, and have a brain fart where you lean the bike onto the kickstand only to feel the ghastly sensation of nothing stopping the tilt and you realize that you only imagined putting the kickstand down. It's happened to more than a few of us, and it really sucks when it does.
If you're into the twisties, the Schnitz raising links (which are shorter than stock) are about $50 and will make the bike handle more like a 600. Probably raise your license plate an inch or a little more - higher than it used to be.
I like the grip puppy comfort grips, about 20 bucks. Foam grips that are neither too padded nor too thin. Just right but they do reduce the heat coming through your heated grips if you have them.
Don't ride without gloves. Some celebrities do and it just makes you look like an idiot who has never ridden a bike before.
Get a good helmet that fits, which probably means a little tighter than you think is initially comfortable, and if you have an oval head look at Arai signets...
Honestly the bike handles pretty good riding away from the dealer. Some people are not natural countersteerers, so if that's the case you are going to need to learn to adapt. It's the only way to ride the busa.
Zero gravity double bubble windscreens are a little over 100 bucks, and are just better. They now have like six different ones you can choose from.

One of the best mods to do for your bike is to take a riding course to get your personal skills to a higher level...

Depending where you go and if you take your bike, they have techs that can get your suspension dialed in for you. Sometimes there are workshops that can help you with your riding....

You get all the power-adders and fancy farkles on your bike but if you are not skilled at using them, they are just for show and bragging rights.

Without sounding like I'm bragging, I did riding courses (Cal Superbike crse, Cdn RACE crse) as well as raced SBK and even with a bike not dialed in 100%, I have the skill to compensate for that.

And, tire pressure.
Still baffles me that dealers don’t make these adjustments for their customers when purchasing they are shocked when I ask for 8, 10 mm wrenches and sockets before I ride off. It’s not just comfort, but for safety as well.

Still baffles me that dealers don’t make these adjustments for their customers when purchasing they are shocked when I ask for 8, 10 mm wrenches and sockets before I ride off. It’s not just comfort, but for safety as well.
I'll bet there are many factors involved in why they don't set it up, one being probably most of them don't know how to.....and in today's society, if they set it up and someone crashed on the way home for whatever reason, it could be held against them somehow....

In a perfect world it would be awesome......but we all know what kind of world it is these days.......

Also with suspension remember to keep up with adjustments as you gain/lose weight. Ive lost 50 lbs since I originally resprung/cut my forks, and I usually just y and my strap and ride and with no travel there's nothing to notice but the other day I rode 60 miles unstrapped because I was doing and didn't plan on racing/going full throttle and the bike was a nightmare and I really thought for a second I was going to die because it was just a fuckin pogo stick for forks. Every bump in the road would unsettle the nose and it took e most of the ride to realize what was causing it. Went right back to normal and what I was used to once I pulled the strap and just had to ride around the potholes with all of the 2" of ground clearance I have lol Once I get the turbo on ill go back to my suspension guy and have it resprung again

Also with suspension remember to keep up with adjustments as you gain/lose weight. Ive lost 50 lbs since I originally resprung/cut my forks, and I usually just y and my strap and ride and with no travel there's nothing to notice but the other day I rode 60 miles unstrapped because I was doing and didn't plan on racing/going full throttle and the bike was a nightmare and I really thought for a second I was going to die because it was just a fuckin pogo stick for forks. Every bump in the road would unsettle the nose and it took e most of the ride to realize what was causing it. Went right back to normal and what I was used to once I pulled the strap and just had to ride around the potholes with all of the 2" of ground clearance I have lol Once I get the turbo on ill go back to my suspension guy and have it resprung again
congrats on the 50

Yep
They should be required to do that, and set the sag, Especially for those that don't know how.
I wasnt comfortable making these adjustments. Ive never done suspension adjustment on a bike before so I went to a local race prep shop that specializes in suspension . If you are in Maryland go to MRP Motorsports. Best 80 Ive spent on this bike. The stability and overall handling is so much better. Coming from a GSXR1000 this bike at factory settings was fatiguing to ride especially above 100 as it didnt feel planted. He set the sag and "slowed" the shock and forks down some. Lets say it may not be my old 1K but damn is it WAY closer to it. The amount of confidence a good suspension baseline will give you is nuts.....

I wasnt comfortable making these adjustments. Ive never done suspension adjustment on a bike before so I went to a local race prep shop that specializes in suspension . If you are in Maryland go to MRP Motorsports. Best 80 Ive spent on this bike. The stability and overall handling is so much better. Coming from a GSXR1000 this bike at factory settings was fatiguing to ride especially above 100 as it didnt feel planted. He set the sag and "slowed" the shock and forks down some. Lets say it may not be my old 1K but damn is it WAY closer to it. The amount of confidence a good suspension baseline will give you is nuts.....

I'm glad there's a good shop there, but I've been doing suspension for years,
I was answering the op.

Back