Gen 2 Trunk Mod

wow ! :beerchug:

a 2 liter....:bowdown:

that is beautiful. I am def gonna have to do this as I am a packoholic !

Thanks for the inspiration..:bowdown:

At the end of the tail on the Gen2 underneath the tailight there are 4 bolts visible(for factory mudflap). I used the rear 2 to bolt the bottom of the new trunk in(and my license plate). If you look at the flat end of the box you can see the 2 holes drilled in it, that's where they bolt up at.

SDC10473.jpg

Wow, I am going to look into this with my gen 1. Very good idea, I hate having to chug a 20 oz. just so I don't waste it anytime I stop. With the PC3, Audiocom,speedo healer, 2 pair of gloves, tool kit, neck warmer, vault rotor lock and glasses I have no room left in the stock trunk.

WENT TO WAL-MART PICKED UP THE NEW "TRUNK". I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FABRICATION PROCESS. I LEFT THE OLD TRUNK IN PLACE ON THE BIKE AND I AM WORKING WITH EVERYTHING ATTACHED TO THE BIKE. I DO NOT HAVE A RIVET GUN BUT FIGURED I COULD JUST USE SOME THICK ZIP-TIES. WILL POST PICS WHEN IT'S COMPLETE. THANKS FOR THE IDEA, I CAN'T WAIT TO PULL OUT A 2 LITER IN FRONT OF MY OTHER FELLOW BUSA RIDERS..:rofl:

This is a great idea, how did you go about sizing up the cuts on the box? Did you just keep trying to fit the box in the tail and cut/measure and repeat?

Nice mod... :thumbsup:

Only questions is, where do you live...? ???

You've got more dirt in places on your bike than I've ever seen. It shouldn't be that dirty underneath all your plastics... :poke:

:laugh:

Wow Sixpack! This idea is reDONKulously awesome! :thumbsup:

Finally, I could ride to work in the mornings with the zip-in jacket liner/neck gater AND ride in the afternoons without dying from having to still wear the liner when it's finally warmed up! :cheerleader:

Might even be room in there for a spare tire... :laugh:

Last edited:
Nice mod... :thumbsup:

Only questions is, where do you live...? ???

You've got more dirt in places on your bike than I've ever seen. It shouldn't be that dirty underneath all your plastics... :poke:

:laugh:

:laugh: My Busa is the Dual Sport model, notice the grey Kanji:laugh:

SDC10421.jpg

SDC10424.jpg

This is a great idea, how did you go about sizing up the cuts on the box? Did you just keep trying to fit the box in the tail and cut/measure and repeat?

Yeah. I Just went thru alot of departments at Wal-mart til I found something that I thought would work. When I found what I used, It was the length and width measurement (9x12")exactly what I wanted. The heigth was alot more than I needed(it also tapers out slightly as it gets taller). So after I shaped it, I trimmed the heigth down 3 seperate times, until I got it to the size I wanted.
A couple folks said they are gonna try this. I hope everyone takes into account for their weight/passenger and rear spring tension(mine is stock other than dampning stiffened)
I'm 175lbs, no problems with 3 1/2" clearance to the tire, even with wife on it doesn't rub or bottom.
So the depth of these boxes should be tested before you mount it. Of course it's just to trim the top down if this happens, reinstall till you find how much clearance you have/need.

I'm glad this has gone over so well. I didn't know so many other folks wanted some extra trunk space either. This was a simple first try that went pretty well. Now I'm more excited to see what others come up with. Ideas are built upon, no matter how simple, let's see some ingenuity:laugh:
My wife really liked it too, her exact words were, "Oooohhh, I can fit a pair of flip flops in there! I like it."
So since my dad hasn't seent it yet, I appreciate the manly support:laugh:

The box is a Sterllite brand(think that's spelled right) It was $9 at Wal-Mart. I don't know what else to do for a write up besides a detailed dis/assembly. But the tail removal is very straightforward and easy.
The only place I cheated was at the front of the black undertail. The rear brake hose goes thru a hole in the side of it. I turned the hole into a groove with a simple cut. It is unoticeable and doesn't hurt the structure of the peice. And whether or not u do this mod or not, cutting that groove makes disassembly easier and faster.

thanks for the info. I will be trying this out shortly. Its a great idea and hope it works out well for me. good times!!

Back