gen 1 hayabusa. chain hop problem

sacchooch

Registered
hi guys can you please help? just installed new chain and both sprockets. bike is up on stands. turn engine on and put in first gear the wheel spins but every few seconds the chain hops. sounds like the engine is choking. but when i throttle it to about 3000 rpm it all runs smooth. can i be having an clutch or gearing problem? also the bike runs smooth in neutral at idle. but there is a little clanking noise that comes from the front sprocket area when it is in gear thats when the hop occurs. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

:welcome: to the ORG.

did you install all the spacers back in properly when you reassembled? are you possessive you put everything back together properly?

pics or a video might help us, help you too.

thank you for the welcome. yes i did replace everything back. except a fairing bolt..hahaha but i did manage to assemble everything without having anything left over. it always had a skip which causes the chain to hop. hope it is not eternal. or is it regular for a chain to hop when it is cold? all this while on stands. i mean when i put it in gear and let it run at idle. got about an inch or less slack on chain. do you know if it does that when your gears start getting bad?

the drivetrain will always act funny when the rear wheel is up in the air, put it down, give it a test ride, and hopefully it will be nice n smooth.

the drivetrain will always act funny when the rear wheel is up in the air, put it down, give it a test ride, and hopefully it will be nice n smooth.

Exactly. There is no weight on the rear end thus no resistance. Spin it without the engine and see what happens.

im not sure then. take it for a spin, see if it rides ok.

my bike is having similar issues but i think my problem is worn sprockets and chain. :whistle:

ooo i just thought of something. check to see if all your chain links are moving back and forth freely. you might have a frozen or binding link in your chain! ???

Mine has always done that when idling in gear on the stand. There is no resistance on anything, so yeah, things are going to jump around some. Unless you have an obvious out of alignment issue, I'd say everything is fine. Lube the chain and go ride.:thumbsup:

thanks to all of you guys!!!!!! my bike rides great. no issues what so ever. just panicked when i saw the chain hop. hahaha that make sense. the tire wants to move constantly but the engine in idle has its hickups...so the chain is being bunched up when that occurs... thanks everyone.

another thing to note when you sit on the bike it naturally takes the slack out of the chain. without the weight on the bike the chain is actually too loose. thats why we say 1 inch of slack when sitting.

When i did my stretch I ran it on the stand and no hop or skip.Sounds like an alignment issue.I have run my dirtbikes on stands and they dont skip either.

Sounds like you're good to go. Watch some of the video's of stretched bikes at the track doing burnouts. The chain is everywhere.

thanks to all of you guys!!!!!! my bike rides great. no issues what so ever. just panicked when i saw the chain hop. hahaha that make sense. the tire wants to move constantly but the engine in idle has its hickups...so the chain is being bunched up when that occurs... thanks everyone.

:thumbsup: no worries, thats why were here. glad we could help you get her figgured out.

Here is the reason this is happening. The rear hub may not be fully seated in the cush drive. As a result, it is a bit croocket which causes the chain to go a bit tighter with every revolution of the rear sprocket. At a certain speed of the rear wheel, the chain slaps more (like a resonance frequency) and that's what you are observing.

Take the rear hub off, lube the slots in the cush drive with grease, and seat the hub back in there good, and make sure all sides are seated well and evenly. This will noticeably reduce the chain slapping effect of uneven seating of the rear hub.

Let us know how it goes.

Back