Gen 1 Busa won't start

Cbrowder

Registered
I have a 04 Busa laid it down and cracked the starter cover replaced the cover, bought new battery and now the bike won't start it will turn once then make a clicking noise

I have a 04 Busa laid it down and cracked the starter cover replaced the cover, bought new battery and now the bike won't start it will turn once then make a clicking noise
Check resting battery voltage, should be around 12.6v if charged, then load test the battery, should not drop below 10v.
Just because it's a 'new' battery do not assume it's in good ready condition to start your bike.
Secondly, if it was the starter clutch cover that you replaced, it could be that it is binding the starter motor pinion gear in the bush in the cover. . . if the cover was fitted poorly. (cocked over and forced into position by screwing it down tight usually does the damage.
If the starter turns the engine one revolution, then starts 'clicking' (relay clicking repetitively) it's usually indicative of a flat battery, loose connections at the battery terminals or a faulty battery.
Fit jump cables to it with a known fully charged battery and see if it cranks faster and starts the engine.
If it still won't crank over (as it was before), it's most likely binding in the starter shaft bush in the new cover you fitted.
Basically just pull the cover and look for any damage done to the bushing, and correct the damage as necessary.

but you - surely - paid attention to the fact that the '04 Gen1 has a slightly different cover compared to the Gen1 from '99-'03?
the one in '04 builds up a bit more, I would say it's a bit thicker!

Back