Gen 1 (06) -- Clutch Issue after Undercutting

JoeMartin

Registered
Long story short:
I picked up an 06 that hadn't been taken care of too well. Second gear was slipping. Tore the engine apart, sent it off to get gears undercut.
Put everything back together, shifts smooth between 1-6 while on the stand. Drop it in to gear, tire spins... Except that I can stop it with my hand... And then it doesn't start again.
If the tire is spinning and I give it throttle, the tire picks up speed/rotation. Once I have stopped it, it won't start again.

With all of this said... I actually tore this engine apart twice, first time I did not touch the clutch, got everything back together, worked fine but still slipped.
Second time, only difference, is I took the clutch apart and off so I could take the gears to be undercut.
I made sure to put everything back together as I took it apart... But the Clutch Sleeve Hub nut does not go down as far as it did previously. When I took it off, it went down past the end of the threads by about 1.5 mms.
Now... it sits above all the threads by that amount.
I estimate it to be torqued currently to 70 pounds (had a few issues getting everything to stop moving, I'm building a tool for that currently).

Any ideas what would be the cause of the power loss here? I believe with the nut being out as it is it is causing the clutch not to be able to press down to really engage everything as it should.
Thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Update:
Removed clutch cover and tore that apart again.
Managed to get the clutch sleeve hub nut to 69 pounds of torque, clutch springs to 7 pounds.
Removed the clutch plates and oiled them (had not done so before installing them previously).

Still no power to rear wheel though after getting everything back together.
Verified clutch is properly bled.

I did notice, however, whenever I pull the clutch lever it does not look like the final plate fully goes out past the basket... Would that be the issue?
(Even though the clutch sleeve hub nut is at full torque, it still is not on as far as it was when I took everything off)

Any ideas?

You don't have the back torque eliminator all the way in. It's out of alignment.
Their shld be a couple threads sticking out if the nut. You better make sure the oil pump gear is meshing with the slip on gear behind the outer clutch basket.

It's the 2 piece thing that the pressure plate bolts screw into. Goes in the middle of the inner basket.

Wooh! I know what that is... Now this begs the question of why it isn't in all the way. It sure looks like it is.

Back