Gearing change

Hayabusa-J.R.

Registered
hey guys my ? is this, i have a stock 04 busa with 17-43 gearing now.i still dont think it is enough slight change but nothing dramtic like i was told,so if i go to a 16-42 instead would that be a real noticably difference from a 17-43. and can i still keep the stock chain it only has 3400 miles on it or do i have to go get a zvm-zzz chain,i would like to hear from people who first went with 17-43 and then went to 16-42 and if it was really noticably or not. my big thing is and i know people over hype sometimes but people are like dude i pull a wheelie in second gear now, well i weigh 155 and with 17-43 gearing and winding it out i never NEVER and the front wheel come up in first or second.

board sponsor - definitely legit. People here speak very highly of him. I've never purchased from him but have gotten a few price quotes. Good prices.

with 17-43 gearing and winding it out i never NEVER and the front wheel come up in first or second. [/QUOTE]
I have 17/43 and no problem lofting the front wheel into the air....
What are you looking to gain by going to the 16/42 set up?
I think 16/42 would be like adding 1 more tooth to your 43 and keeping the 17 in front.

how do u get the wheel up i mean yes a stock busa will come up by winding it up but even i wind it to 6000 let off and on and it only pulls a little off the ground if that.i must be pussing out thats all. and by going to a 16-42 i thought it might be awesome from what people say here,but then again they said 17-43 was awesome i dont think its that big of a deal. what do you think of the 17-43 gearing brendanp.

I luv the 17/43...IMO, big difference.If you are looking to loft the front,17/43 will do it. I do it everyday..
I bring it up to 4000-4500 in 1st gear,let off and whack it.
If it is only coming up an inch or two,you need to give it more.

Going from the stock 17/40 to the 17/43 is aproximately a 7% increase in RPM for a given speed. Going to a 16/42 would tack on another roughly 4%! Why not go to a 16/43? You already have the sprocket? That gets you almost a 12.5% change from stock. Or are you trying to do all of this without a new chain.

Try the 16th first. If your only 155lbs, i would go back to just a 16th up front and stock out back. Your low weight doesn't need the gearing unlike us bigboys that need all the help we can get.

GMBUSA YOU JUST SAID A MOUTHFULL,I WISH I WEIGHED 155LBS,LOL.BUT YOU COULD TRY THE 16/43 BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND BY ANOTHER REAR SPROCKET.THE FRONT GEAR IS ALOT CHEAPER THAN A REAR.ATLEAST TRY IT, THEN YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

<!--EDIT|busa crazy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154468077 -->

Heck, I went to an 18T front and love it! Cuts down on shifting and I still have more than enough pull to do anything I need. The speedo is closer to being accurate, too!

I luv the 17/43...IMO, big difference.If you are looking to loft the front,17/43 will do it. I do it everyday..
I bring it up to 4000-4500 in 1st gear,let off and whack it.
If it is only coming up an inch or two,you need to give it more.
I put on a 16 tooth front, and at sea level I have to ease into the throttle in first and second just to keep the front wheel down.
But I also have a BMC street filter, a set of Viper race cans and a Cobra pc. A cheap and VERY effective set of mods
wink.gif

17-40 stock gearing and no problems lofting the front end and usually when i don't want to. Just spend time getting used to the bike and then make your decision.

P.S. iam thinking of buying from street and track great prices are they legit??
Charles @ Street&Track is great to work with....

Personally i'd just change 1 thing at a time, either the front to 16, or back to 42/43. see how it feels with each change before making a major 1. just my $.02

Steven

<!--EDIT|Cykill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154570342 -->

Okay... I'm 350lbs, 16/42 gearing. I have NO problem pwer wheeling in 1st and I can get it up in second by bouncing it (although not much). At your weight, you should be power wheelies all through 1st gear at LEAST. But, if you've never wheelied, trust me, you don't want to practice your fist on the busa... too much power to set ya wrong...

I am going 16/42 gearing I don't have it yet but so I can not comment on it but I know I will love it. That gearing will be coupled with 210+hp to the wheel if things go as planned. I don't think I will have lifting the front wheel in first or second. I also learned my wheelies on the Busa. Crazy I know but I couldn't do that on the Katana 600 I had before lol. Throttle control and a brain and you are fine when it happens.

adding a lot of gear does little in terms of increasing accelleration,there is a slight increase in torque multiplacation,but for the most part the bike feels more responsive because the revs are higher at any given road speed

right now,power levels are way off (about 100 today in nj) and all the gearing in the world won't fix it
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

the only way to increase accelleration is to add hp or reduce weight

Actually a 16th front sprocket gives a boost of 11% in power. Not actual HP, but the feel and acceleration.

hey guys my ? is this, i have a stock 04 busa with 17-43 gearing now.i still dont think it is enough slight change but nothing dramtic like i was told,so if i go to a 16-42 instead would that be a real noticably difference from a 17-43. and can i still keep the stock chain it only has 3400 miles on it or do i have to go get a zvm-zzz chain,i would like to hear from people who first went with 17-43 and then went to 16-42 and if it was really noticably or not. my big thing is and i know people over hype sometimes but people are like dude i pull a wheelie in second gear now, well i weigh 155 and with 17-43 gearing and winding it out i never NEVER and the front wheel come up in first or second.
First of all, I'm wondering how you don't notice a 17/43 change?
rock.gif
If you really want more grunt, just simply change the front sprocket to a 16t, and add an automatic "a$$-pucker" device.... then watch that front end shoot up lock a stealth missile. I personally run the 16/42 setup and it is superb. With the custom map and tuning that Johnnycheese did for me.... my bike is a monster down low. I've actually pulled 3rd gear wheelies with a 4+inch stretch.

Back