Gear indicator update

mcoyote

Registered
I have no financial interest in Acumen or Riderstation, but I do have the Acumen gear indicator. It works well, even if it was kind of a pain to train on the road.

Anyway, the biggest thing that kept me away from this unit was having to solder it into the wiring harness leading from the dash (all those little *wires*). They've updated the design recently, however, and have plug-in harnesses, so all you have to do is basically figure out where to mount the thing. And -- of course -- there's almost no chance of screwing it up now.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.
http://www.riderstation.com/riderstations/DG8.html

i thought i saw the new gix 1000 has some kinda gear indicator or shift light on it now :super:

Hey Maybe you can help me, I have seen these and was all excited until I read that "Reving the motor between downshifts may cause a false reading in the indicator." Wha? Well then do I just bang her down through the gears without blipping?

ANyhoo I have read the install and programing directions and it does sound like a pain in the ass. What was your experiance programing this thing and does it work well for you? What concerns me is I see this little bugger for like $60, but the only other gear shift indicator I have seen out there runs about $300, so I had decided that these are prolly not worth the effort.

So I would love a break down of your experiance and any problems, Or if you love it and are totally happy let me know if got a few minutes.

Oh and have you seen the Rev lights? What do you think of those? I want em' and it looks like they could be mounted just about anywhere.

Yeah... the bike i drove when i was learning at driving school also had a gear indicator. It was a Suzuki 250 :tounge:
guess it's a good idea for newbies :laugh:

Heh.. just went to the electronics store today and picked up some 74LS221N's, LEDs, a digital display, and ton of resistors.. gonna make my own digital gear position display..
si.

Heh.. just went to the electronics store today and picked up some 74LS221N's, LEDs, a digital display, and ton of resistors.. gonna make my own digital gear position display..
si.
I teach HS Electronics and would be very interested in your circuit.  Are you going to go digital or with an array of LED's? :beerchug:
If it works out, I'm sure I could whip up a few dozen boards!

hey mikey if you whip up a couple boards and are interested in unloading one to me let me know how much you want for it. i have the switchable tre mod and from what i saw on blue gauges .com there is something extra needed, also i was really impressed with all the fancy squiggly lines and colors on there diagrams lol if only i had paid attention in school :alcoholic:

hey mikey if you whip up a couple boards and are interested in unloading one to me let me know how much you want for it. i have the switchable tre mod and from what i saw on blue gauges .com there is something extra needed, also i was really impressed with all the fancy squiggly lines and colors on there diagrams lol if only i had paid attention in school :alcoholic:
:rofl:

As soon as silencer gives us the word on weather or not the circuit works, I'll see what I can do!

I'm going digital.. snagged the plans from www.bluegauges.com in their do-it-yourself gear position display section.. hope it works. :D
si.
Silencer,
I just checked out the skemat.  Are you going to hard wire this mess or will you make a board?

The claim is:
"The circuit has been double-checked and verified."
but then he says
"This gear indicator should work on all Suzuki motorcycles with a gear position sensor. I believe most Suzuki models 1996 and up have one."

I'm a tad concerned about that "should"!  
Please let us know if this works on your Busa  :beerchug:

Also, do you have a TRE?

... ANyhoo I have read the install and programing directions and it does sound like a pain in the ass.  What was your experiance programing this thing and does it work well for you?   What concerns me is I see this little bugger for like $60, but the only other gear shift indicator I have seen out there runs about $300, so I had decided that these are prolly not worth the effort. ...
Well, I tend to think it's worth it...especially with the new plug-in harnesses, but it's not perfect. The deal is, since the Acumen unit doesn't really know anything about your particular bike's ECU (it's a generic item) it just maps the pulse rates to your speedo and tach into gear numbers.

Of course, at very low RPMS (<2k, generally) and speeds, the mappings overlap, presumably because the pulses are coming so seldom as not to present a good signature. The unit is smart enough to guess that the first gear you go to from neutral is (usually) 1, but it'll pick up the actual gear as you speed up, in any event, if you like to go to 2 from stop, etc..

So, when I'm coming to a stop or moving out the gear number is usually wrong.

This may be aggravated because I trained the unit on RT50 instead of a track stand, where it's 'sposed to be done, so the maps aren't perfect anyway. In any event, once I'm at any normal riding speed the indicator is right on, and after I shift it usually picks up the new gear within a second or two, even if I don't use the clutch at all. For me, this means that it's correct whenever it really matters (e.g., going into a turn, even in parking lots).

I like the unit, it is attractive, waterproof/durable, easy to mount, and auto-dims at night (sure enough). Installing it was nerve-wracking because I got the older one that had to be soldered into the dash wiring. The good news was I just did this at the plug-in harness leading from the dash to the first junction, just inside the left fairing, so if I screwed up I could just buy a replacement harness.

Of course, you don't have to worry about that any more with the new model. Training it is really straightforward on a nice piece of empty road, and I only had to try it twice to get it right -- it has a simple "reset" button on the back of the display box to re-initialize for another run (older models had to be un-grounded). If you have a track stand, you may only have to try it once.

Hey Thanks Coyote, I appreciate your time... I am thinking I will go for the pretty little shift lights first though bouncing off that rev limiter get a little tiring. I mean I am not retarded it's just that the thing rev's awfully well for a big motor... ;)

I'm going digital.. snagged the plans from www.bluegauges.com in their do-it-yourself gear position display section.. hope it works. :D
si.
Silencer,
I just checked out the skemat.  Are you going to hard wire this mess or will you make a board?

The claim is:
"The circuit has been double-checked and verified."
but then he says
"This gear indicator should work on all Suzuki motorcycles with a gear position sensor. I believe most Suzuki models 1996 and up have one."

I'm a tad concerned about that "should"!  
Please let us know if this works on your Busa  :beerchug:

Also, do you have a TRE?
Heh.. actually.. I don't even have a 'busa yet. A friend who lives a few doors down has a '01 Gixxer 1000 though, so I thought I'd test on that one and give him a free display if it works. That will be enough to test the gear position display - to test the TRE I'll have to find a 'busa. I've done the calculations for the schematic and the voltages are correct for each gear so far.. so it SHOULD work.

I'll definately make a large board first to test it, and I'm going to add another gate so when you're in neutral it'll display 0 instead of 6, because neutral is NOT 6th gear. :D Once it's tested, I'll work on making the package as small as possible, and would like to find a place I can get some OEM plugs for the wiring - I know a lot of people don't like soldering to their wiring harness. I'm also looking for blue LED 7 segment displays.. haven't found any yet. I can't give ya a time frame for getting this done - I'm fairly new to electronics.. but I'll keep working on it because it's something I'll definately want on my own bike. I'm a computer programmer so this is interesting enough to keep me on it.
si.

Back