Gas Grill

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone got info on pro's and con's of gas grills? I have been a wood/charcoal guy for 20 years but it's time to get one.

I'm looking for propane as I don't want to invest in running a line from my fireplace for LP. Was looking at the Charbroil Commercial Quantum at Lowes for $500. Like the infrared system as we're meat eaters down here in the south and locking in those juices is a must.

http://www.charbroil.com/consume....esID=32

If you have a gas grill in the $500 range, please add the model and a few pro's and con's for a bro.

Thanks.
all_coholic.gif

I got a Weber Genesis Gold from Home Depot about 6 years ago, its plugged into my house and I never have to worry about running out of propane. I love it and use it just about daily.

Personally I have only used a charcoal grill a few times, I like the flavor, but its a lot of work when you want to use it often.

I love grilling. I bought a nice stainless one with a broiler on one side, rotisserie, blah blah blah. ended up going back to charcoal. You can not match the flavor. Pros for gas grill-convenient (unless you run out of fuel half way threw your cooking)
firedevil.gif

Charcoal pros-better flavor. Use a chimney thing to gets your coals hot faster and all you need to start them is 1 full page of the sunday paper
beerchug.gif

I used to have a propane for years, Finally got rid of it. There are draw backs to both, just decide if you can live with them. Temp control goes to Propane unless you can control charcoal to food distance. Flavor The Biggest factor by far, Charcoal is the clear winner here. You can easily tell when to add more briquets, but when your out of gas... (The after market gas gauges usually work like crap) Ever smoke a turkey w/ gas? kinda figured you didn't. Granted, Propane is instant heat & Charcoal you wait awhile. I think it really comes down to Flavor, and there is no comparison.

I would never give up the flavor of charcoal.

However, if you do switch to gas, you're going to have to relearn how to cook on it.

Turn the heat down just before you put food on so it doesn't overcook too fast.

--Wag--

Ducane Sucks. They wouldnt warranty there grill when I couldnt locate my 3 year old receipt. I knew when I bought it and registered warranty with them. They can forget about a good review from me. I bought my last gas grill. Went back to the old Weber. taste better too.

Get one of each. You can't beat the convenience and ease of a good gas grill and you can use a smoker box with it for true smoking flavor. I have two propane tanks so I never have to worry about running out. Get a cheap charcoal grill on the side.

+2 Weber... 8 years (always stored outside under a cover), Fires up first click EVERY time! Built for the long haul with long lasting components.

I had both and just sold my gas grill.

Charcoal is great. Check out the Weber Performer!! Charcoal with gas assist lighter. Has work table and charcoal storage also.

Combined with my Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker I'm set for a long time.

Love mine but you will burn a lot of chicken before you get the hang of cooking with propane. Once you lurn you will never go back!

I'm a charcoal person, because I don't understand the difference between a gas grill and cooking in your kitchen.

Thanks to all. I am certainly keeping my charcoal/smoker unit. The gas grill is for those week night/worked lat/kids are hungry events. Will also give the wife a chance to ccok outdoors since she is restricted from handling the lighter fluid. She lit the charcoal and the flame went out. She decided to put more fluid on the charcoal but it did not catch fire. She decided to light it again and "poof"... no eye brows.

"poof"... no eye brows.
Somehow, that struck me as utterly hilarious! Hope she's okay and has new eyebrows!

Instead of lighter fluid, I use one of those chimney starters. Starts up about as fast (or faster than) lighter fluid and never have any lighter fluid taste. Taste of the food is pure, in other words.

Here's a picture:
chimney_lg.jpg

Home Depot generally has 'em stocked.

--Wag--

+1 on the chimney starter. I'm on my 3rd one and won't go back to fluid.

"poof"... no eye brows.
Somehow, that struck me as utterly hilarious!  Hope she's okay and has new eyebrows!

Instead of lighter fluid, I use one of those chimney starters.  Starts up about as fast (or faster than) lighter fluid and never have any lighter fluid taste.  Taste of the food is pure, in other words.

Here's a picture:  
chimney_lg.jpg

Home Depot generally has 'em stocked.

--Wag--
this is what I use. just put a little news paper under it and it lights conciderably faster than fluid even in the chimney.

Back