FUEL PUMP PROBLEM?

tdrcomm

Donating Member
Registered
I PM'ed CharlesBusa and he forwarded on BaBusa but I know he's busy so I'm throwing it out to the .org. Got a problem and can't seem to diagnose it (or maybe I just don't want to face the ultimate problem/solution).

My bike is dying after about 15 minutes of stop-and-go traffic. No FI light, no lurching to a halt. The engine just stops. I try to start it immediately and it won't turn over. If I wait about a minute and try it, it fires right up. Then it runs for about one or two miles then stops again. Once I get up to speed (freeway) it's fine, but ten minutes after I pull off on surface streets I hear a slight (very slight) difference in tone from the engine then I know it's only a matter of seconds before it quits. I've already replaced the fuel filter and hoses but the problem remains. Two weeks ago I ran a tank of race fuel up at ACH. Burnt it all then gassed up at the bottom of the hill. Got on the 210 and made it back to Garden Grove, no problem. Stopped off at my shop to BS for a bit (20 minutes) then started to ride home (10 min away). It dies on me at the first light. Is there a thermostat within the fuel pump that shuts down the system when it gets to a certain temp? And if so, is it part of the pump or can I replace it separately. ECU? (Please, dear God, no) or is the best fix a brand new pump? I had no problems on my road trip. I suppose it's because it was 95% highway riding and no matter how hot it was I was always moving.

I should mention that it's a '99 so I know how crappy those pumps are. Could it just be time for a new one? It's the original stock pump.

Any help would be appreciated.

You know what how old is you battery Bro this might be a cause of this? if the battery is not keeping a charge it could cause the bike to die. I hope it is not an ECU as well those thing are not cheap.

When it's running...what is your idle speed
rock.gif

I own a 99 and had the same problems. runs fine on the highway but in town at a light it would die. no light no nothing. It would idle fairly okay once I restarted it but would die on occasion. I had new battery, new spark plugs, new filters, even replaced the little screen in the pump,....no real cure was found until I finally fessed up and paid for a new pump assembly. I got the whole unit, since the bike has been so well to me I sacrifice the $450.00 bucks for the whole entire unit. The pump alone for the 99 averages about $210 to $250 bucks....Bikes running excellent now with no issues whatso ever...good luck

Bit the bullet. New pump assembly on order, due here this week. Oh well, I got close to 70,000 miles out of this one so I shouldn't complain too much.

It's been agonizing being in the car the last week and a half! I so hate L.A. traffic
guns.gif

I hope the pumps works better than mine did. I had the same problem last summer so I took the advice of the board and moded to a 2002 fuel system and tank never purred better. She even gave me better mpg go figure.

(xtremarine @ Sep. 15 2007,20:06) I hope the pumps works better than mine did. I had the same problem last summer so I took the advice of the board and moded to a 2002 fuel system and tank never purred better. She even gave me better mpg go figure.
So you just bought a 2002 tank and fuel pump.. How was it to hookup the fuel pump? I mean you have to remove the old pump 1st and then its just a simple install or what?? Thinking of doing this myself to cure a vapor lock issue..

(DR1300R @ Sep. 15 2007,22:19)
(xtremarine @ Sep. 15 2007,20:06) I hope the pumps works better than mine did. I had the same problem last summer so I took the advice of the board and moded to a 2002 fuel system and tank never purred better. She even gave me better mpg go figure.
So you just bought a 2002 tank and fuel pump.. How was it to hookup the fuel pump? I mean you have to remove the old pump 1st and then its just a simple install or what?? Thinking of doing this myself to cure a vapor lock issue..
Yeah, how easy/hard was it? Is there a mod thread somewhere on the forum for reference?

(tdrcomm @ Sep. 05 2007,13:56) I PM'ed CharlesBusa and he forwarded on BaBusa but I know he's busy so I'm throwing it out to the .org. Got a problem and can't seem to diagnose it (or maybe I just don't want to face the ultimate problem/solution).

My bike is dying after about 15 minutes of stop-and-go traffic. No FI light, no lurching to a halt. The engine just stops. I try to start it immediately and it won't turn over. If I wait about a minute and try it, it fires right up. Then it runs for about one or two miles then stops again. Once I get up to speed (freeway) it's fine, but ten minutes after I pull off on surface streets I hear a slight (very slight) difference in tone from the engine then I know it's only a matter of seconds before it quits. I've already replaced the fuel filter and hoses but the problem remains. Two weeks ago I ran a tank of race fuel up at ACH. Burnt it all then gassed up at the bottom of the hill. Got on the 210 and made it back to Garden Grove, no problem. Stopped off at my shop to BS for a bit (20 minutes) then started to ride home (10 min away). It dies on me at the first light. Is there a thermostat within the fuel pump that shuts down the system when it gets to a certain temp? And if so, is it part of the pump or can I replace it separately. ECU? (Please, dear God, no) or is the best fix a brand new pump? I had no problems on my road trip. I suppose it's because it was 95% highway riding and no matter how hot it was I was always moving.

I should mention that it's a '99 so I know how crappy those pumps are. Could it just be time for a new one? It's the original stock pump.

Any help would be appreciated.
in 99 models there is a problem with the pump.

when you are in traffic for a long time the heat of the engine overheats the pump and the result is that you mention.

so did i.

i put armaflex around the pump and the problem (is not fixed) but it is better now.

*UPDATE*

After trouble shooting all the cheaper stuff with no success (even installed a new fuel pump) we went after the ECU. That was it.
sad.gif

New one installed, no problems since. My shop knocked off $150 from the bill and gave me the pump at cost for the time and trouble for diagnosing the problem.

*UPDATE*

After trouble shooting all the cheaper stuff with no success (even installed a new fuel pump) we went after the ECU. That was it.
sad.gif

New one installed, no problems since. My shop knocked off $150 from the bill and gave me the pump at cost for the time and trouble for diagnosing the problem.
Cool glad you got it figured out
ThumbsUp.gif

I have a 2000 that I'm having some bucking/surging problems at around 6500 rpm after the bike is warm ( it pulls as hard as ever right up to around 6500 then act's like it hitting a rev limiter or something. I was thinking of buying a new /used pump and was wondering if other year pumps just bolt in place or is any modding needed? Any help would be appreciated.
Jeremy

Back