Front Fork Problem

celticBandit

Registered
I noticed that my front end was a bit vague in fast corners lately and there is a metallic rattle/clinking over hard bumps from my front end. So I jacked up the front end to check wheel bearings and steering head bearings. Both OK.

But I am getting a clicking noise from my right hand fork. There feels like a little movement in it when I pull/push the forks to me and away from me. It feels like the ticking noise is coming from inside the outer tube were the oil seal is located, but there is no oil leaking from the fork seal. I think it may be one of two things:
1. Preload adjusted rod has come loose inside the fork.
2. Bushes are worn and I need a new fork

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before and has anyone any other possible solutions?

Thanks
Tony

Not familiar with a problem like that but I wouldn't delay getting it fixed. Hope you find an answer here so . . .

bump.gif

No charge for the bump.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

I noticed that my front end was a bit vague in fast corners lately and there is a metallic rattle/clinking over hard bumps from my front end. So I jacked up the front end to check wheel bearings and steering head bearings. Both OK.

But I am getting a clicking noise from my right hand fork. There feels like a little movement in it when I pull/push the forks to me and away from me. It feels like the ticking noise is coming from inside the outer  tube were the oil seal is located, but there is no oil leaking from the fork seal. I think it may be one of two things:
1. Preload adjusted rod has come loose inside the fork.
2. Bushes are worn and I need a new fork

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before and has anyone any other possible solutions?

Thanks
Tony
What year busa?

How Many miles?

and...

Do you (or did any previous owners) wheelie the bike alot?

Worn bushings can be replaced...forks can be (and should be more often than most think) rebuilt.

"A Clicking Sound" has me leaning towards a valve shim issue or?...it could be something as simple as the forkspring lost center and is rubbing/clicking the fork stancion..which i've seen fixed before by slamming the fork down on thick carpeting..to reposition the spring without having to tear everything back apart again...and...it worked.
laugh.gif

that's all i got...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Thanks for the reply guys.
It's a 2001 Silver/Blue with 20k miles.
I think I'll just tear it down and service the front forks, new oil seals and new springs, thicker fork oil. Hopefully that should do it.

Thanks
Tony

We haven't really got the same kind of bike meetings you guys have. Any big bike meetings are usually for charity rides at Christmas and Easter. Other than that, there are quite a few good road races up north during the summer.And the best thing is we are right next to the Isle of Man.
Not many people ride in the winter as it's always raining here. Come to think of it, our summers aren't that much better. I guess that's why Ireland is so green.
cool.gif

Back