Front end ride height?

murphc13

Registered
Hello people.Since I changed the forks to Ohlins i've noticed the front end ride height is definitely lower than stock and it's a little nervous.I don't like it.I changed the top yoke to a Brocks also.Is there a way to set the front end rode height to stock or is it a case of dropping the forks and trial and error?

It should be all stock settings as I haven't adjusted them.I don't know about sag.

With any suspension, especially high-end Ohlins, you need to learn about suspension sag, which is setting the suspension up for Your body weight.
If you do not, it will Never handle correctly. And improperly set suspension, including Ohlins, will handle terribly.
Search for Dave Moss on Youtube, he's the suspension guru, and you can learn alot from him.
Don't be intimidated by it either, as once you get it, it's easy.
Also, front And rear Must be set properly, as one directly effects the other, if either is off, the whole ride is bad.

With any suspension, especially high-end Ohlins, you need to learn about suspension sag, which is setting the suspension up for Your body weight.
If you do not, it will Never handle correctly. And improperly set suspension, including Ohlins, will handle terribly.
Search for Dave Moss on Youtube, he's the suspension guru, and you can learn alot from him.
Don't be intimidated by it either, as once you get it, it's easy.
Also, front And rear Must be set properly, as one directly effects the other, if either is off, the whole ride is bad.
I know this buddy.I just don't know how to get it perfect for me.

I know this buddy.I just don't know how to get it perfect for me.
Go by feel. One part of sag people forget is its purpose in creating a level ride height experience between the front of the bike and the rear. Take a socket wrench and extension with you on a ride stuff it in your boot. Keep adding turns into your preload adjustment until the front end feels sharp and responsive when initiating turns. At that point you will probably notice now any bumps you hit will send all the force to the rear. Now its time to adjust the preload at the rear to level out that weight transfer from front to rear. Think of it as a seesaw. Try to get it balanced at the center, which is you. If you can't then your springs are too soft for your bodyweight.

Sorry...but you just said "I don't know about sag".
What do you not know how to do to get it correct for you?
Well afaik static sag is how much the sus sags without a rider on board.Front sag I guess is how much the front sags while holding the bars(I'm guessing).

Hello people.Since I changed the forks to Ohlins i've noticed the front end ride height is definitely lower than stock and it's a little nervous.I don't like it.I changed the top yoke to a Brocks also.Is there a way to set the front end rode height to stock or is it a case of dropping the forks and trial and error?
the bike sounds like it need professional help, it sounds like your out of your depth,

Well afaik static sag is how much the sus sags without a rider on board.Front sag I guess is how much the front sags while holding the bars(I'm guessing).

Sag needs 2 people to be done, the rider on it, and someone to measure.
Or, you can buy one of these

Back in 2015 when I took a trip to Tail of the Dragon I stopped by Wheelers and had him help me with suspension setup. Made a noticeable difference once it was setup professionally. Think he charged $50-75 to do it and only took about 1/2 hour of time.

Sag needs 2 people to be done, the rider on it, and someone to measure.
Or, you can buy one of these

I have one of those and can highly recommend it. I have no friends to help...

I have one of those and can highly recommend it. I have no friends to help...
Thanks nan but I don't want to pay for this right now.There is a local suspension guy that can prob do this.Its just o know the front end ride height is too low so there's no point in going to him until that's close to right

Thanks nan but I don't want to pay for this right now.There is a local suspension guy that can prob do this.Its just o know the front end ride height is too low so there's no point in going to him until that's close to right

Add some preload.
The hex on top of each fork.
Turn it in until only 2 or 1 of the 5 lines are visible.

Which lines?The Ohlins fork rings that circle the top of the forks?
Scrub this reply.For some reason I thought you were talking about the ride height.The front end is too low.Theres no point in playing with the preload I'd the front end is too close to the ground

Scrub this reply.For some reason I thought you were talking about the ride height.The front end is too low.Theres no point in playing with the preload I'd the front end is too close to the ground

If preload is at it's softest, the front will sit lower.
If the top of the forks are more than just a few mm's above the top clamp, then the forks need slid down in the clamps.

Back