Frame slider installation

cutter

Donating Member
Registered
I have had the Busa for about a month before I had the courage to install the sliders. Some recent threads about kickstand failure and tip overs pushed me to take the plunge.

I researched all the methods discussed here: laser, clay, white out- but wasn't comfortable with any of them. I thought the laser might be subject to a mm or 2 of parallax error if the beam is not perfectly squared up with the bolt. One thread discussed using a bolt, cut down and ground to a point. I didn't have any extra bolts so I used an 8mm allen wrench and cut it short (2cm) and ground the tip to a point.

This fit snugly in the allen head of the existing motor mount bolt. Here is my method:

1) replace fairing with guidepin in place. Be sure to align seams and secure with several screws to be sure the fairing is perfectly aligned.

2) Tap gently over the pin on the fairing using a rag and rubber mallet until minimal buckling of the paint is seen from the tip.

3) Rermove fairing and drill ~3/16 pilot hole from inside, using the indentation from the pin as a guide.

4) Replace fairing and check alignment. I used a small flexible light and a 4mm allen wrench to be sure the hole was centered over the motor mount bolt.

5) Tape around pilot hole with masking tape on painted side of fairing.

6) Use a sharp 2" hole saw with pilot bit, medium speed, small amount of pressure. Drill from from outside (painted surface) inward.

7) Clean up inside edge with utility knife

8) Take a deep breath and install fairing.

I thought this technique was pretty easy and foolproof. I am happy with the result.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to install some sliders on mine, just something about cutting those fairings scares the hell out of me.
sad.gif

Nice centering...my holes are off a little but I am still happy with out it turned out.

I have had the Busa for about a month before I had the courage to install the sliders. Some recent threads about kickstand failure and tip overs pushed me to take the plunge.

I researched all the methods discussed here: laser, clay, white out- but wasn't comfortable with any of them. I thought the laser might be subject to a mm or 2 of parallax error if the beam is not perfectly squared up with the bolt. One thread discussed using a bolt, cut down and ground to a point. I didn't have any extra bolts so I used an 8mm allen wrench and cut it short (2cm) and ground the tip to a point.

guidepin.jpg
Damn fine idea, cutter!
super.gif

Great idea! I just did mine yesterday and did the cut the sharpie marker down and stick it in the hole trick. Left side was a little off, right side came out great! Took some courage to attack the panel. Yours look great!

Thanks, I am doing mine this weekend. The allen wrench tool only needs to 2 cm long to the point? Sounds kinda short, but I guess the mounts are right behind the plastic.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114263544 -->

This definantly falls into my "Cool Idea" folder but just as an option to those who may not have extra allen keys to cut up and grind points on I had great luck with the playdough/clay impression method and the one thing I would like to add here is that no matter what method you use???...you may wanna attempt to bias the hole on the left fairing a tad to keep from "Breaking Into" the mounting screw indention and also just as a note: Hold The Hole Saw As Square To The Fairing As Possible (as one side will begin cutting before the other annnnd...don't forget to masking tape the painted side.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I just finished installing my sliders with the cut & sharpened allen key method. It worked very well. However, I would like to add, the left side was a little different since the mounting bolt sits farther from the fairing. I had to back the original bolt out until I could obtain a mark with the pointed allen key. Then I double checked the pilot hole position. I used a 1 3/4 hole saw since I wanted a good tight fit. Plus, like the previous post stated, drilling at the same angle as the fairing mounting bolt is very important. Shitty pictures to be posted.

Thanks for the compliments. I am glad the install turned out so well. I will definitely be borrowing or purchasing a better camera so people can see the results.
smile.gif

Back