Foster Mom to a breed I never thought I'd help...

You know I had Danes; the loves of my life for so long...I can imagine just how they'd be with a guy like Peanut :laugh: So adorable!!! I love the pics :)

Good luck with your new friend ! My harlequin pup is a little bigger now !

chad2.jpg

Great job Michelle & thanks for getting over your fear. He is a beautiful dog. We have 2 Pits. Our male (Capone) was one we rescued. He had 5 names & 6 homes in 6 months, was beaten & crated 24/7. The kids that had him were taking him to be put down because they just didn't want him anymore? He is the most appreciative & loving animal I have ever seen. He knows he is now in a loving family. We have had him for almost 5 years now. We have a 15 year old son & 9 year old little girl they are great w/ both. I will only have rescues, & only Pits.

Capone

huntcapone.jpg

I see yours has his tail too...Luke's obviously been abused and his ears completely messed up, but they didn't dock his tail. Why is that? Or do Pits not have their tails docked?

I'm still learning here...just don't know much about the breed.

Capone is handsome; I wouldn't have believed it 'til now, but I'm sure he's a wonderful companion :beerchug:

Michelle,

I am so happy to hear you have given this gorgeous guy a chance. If he's anything like Capone, he will continue to say "thank you" every single day.

Typically, APBT's do not have their tails docked - which I am very happy about.

It's very sad to see this guys ears gone, as well. I certainly hope to hear he has a fully recovery and a happy life going forward. :cheerleader:

He's got a much better start than he had 3 days ago...a lot of strikes against him, heartworms, the injuries, underweight, but he's on the mend and he tolerates me putting pills down his throat and goo in his eyes. He's been an incredibly appreciative dog. He just seems so content to have some people loving on him :)

Thanks for the info...I too wish they hadn't chopped his ears off; they look very sore and he is sensitive about 'em...

Its obviuos he hasn't been taken care of. Its always nice to see dogs get a second chance. :thumbsup: for overcoming your fear of pits. They are awesome dogs. I always laugh when I take mine out for a walk and people say " she's gorgeous what kind of dog is she?" when I say Pitbull they leave immediately. There still is a lot of fear about these dogs and its nice to see they have converted another one:laugh: Just give in and keep him. He's gorgeuous and tolerable. Seems to fit right in with you guys.

I see yours has his tail too...Luke's obviously been abused and his ears completely messed up, but they didn't dock his tail. Why is that? Or do Pits not have their tails docked?

I'm still learning here...just don't know much about the breed.

Capone is handsome; I wouldn't have believed it 'til now, but I'm sure he's a wonderful companion :beerchug:

I think the rescued dogs are so happy to be part of a family that they become extremely devoted to their new family. My brindle dane was from a rescue when he was one year old. He was completely wild and the rescue thought he may never adapt to a family environment as he had never been trained and had been kept crated for 12 to 14 hours a day while he was a pup.
Needless to say, he had a lot of bad habits including jumping up on people. He gave me a bloody nose the first day home. The dog was so full of energy and so frustrated that he needed an outlet. At the time I lived in Arizona and had manzanita (non-toxic) growing all around me. Every night I would cut up 6 or 7 manzanita sticks for him to chew. And every night he would lay on a blanket and turn those sticks into toothpicks. Took about 3 months and all of a sudden he became mellow and laid back. Completely reversed his personality. Now he is great with kids of all ages, other animals and I can take him everywhere. Here I go again, stealing your thread. Sorry !

Its obviuos he hasn't been taken care of. Its always nice to see dogs get a second chance. :thumbsup: for overcoming your fear of pits. They are awesome dogs. I always laugh when I take mine out for a walk and people say " she's gorgeous what kind of dog is she?" when I say Pitbull they leave immediately. There still is a lot of fear about these dogs and its nice to see they have converted another one:laugh: Just give in and keep him. He's gorgeuous and tolerable. Seems to fit right in with you guys.

He does fit in with us, but there are so many reasons (right now for me, personally) to not keep him for our own. I feel I owe him a good home with a family that truly loves this breed and can care for him. He has been all over, no good life thus far, so he does deserve the best I can find for him. :) Thanks for the words of encouragement. He has truly changed how I feel about Pits...

It took us about six months to get Capone up to a "normal" weight. Last week at the vet, she told us he needed to loose a pound or two. :laugh:

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've been around this breed since I was a young child. As Michael stated, we will continue to have them in our lives and rescue every chance we get. If you have any questions, we will be happy to share what we've learned along the way.

I think the rescued dogs are so happy to be part of a family that they become extremely devoted to their new family. My brindle dane was from a rescue when he was one year old. He was completely wild and the rescue thought he may never adapt to a family environment as he had never been trained and had been kept crated for 12 to 14 hours a day while he was a pup.
Needless to say, he had a lot of bad habits including jumping up on people. He gave me a bloody nose the first day home. The dog was so full of energy and so frustrated that he needed an outlet. At the time I lived in Arizona and had manzanita (non-toxic) growing all around me. Every night I would cut up 6 or 7 manzanita sticks for him to chew. And every night he would lay on a blanket and turn those sticks into toothpicks. Took about 3 months and all of a sudden he became mellow and laid back. Completely reversed his personality. Now he is great with kids of all ages, other animals and I can take him everywhere. Here I go again, stealing your thread. Sorry !

Oh no, I love hearing the stories :)

After having 3 Danes (the last one went with the hubby when he moved out), I can safely say they are my favorite breed. I love big dogs, love their personality. I'm to the point that IF I ever have another Dane, it'll be a rescue. I've always rescued cats, this is my first ever fostering of any dog and of course my first time around a pit bull at all. I still look at him, lying in my living room or standing in my kitchen, and I can't believe I have a pit bull in my home LOL

The rescues do seem incredibly thankful to have a loving environment...glad you stuck it out with a Dane :)

It took us about six months to get Capone up to a "normal" weight. Last week at the vet, she told us he needed to loose a pound or two. :laugh:

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've been around this breed since I was a young child. As Michael stated, we will continue to have them in our lives and rescue every chance we get. If you have any questions, we will be happy to share what we've learned along the way.

I truly appreciate that...I know we have a lot of fans and owners of the breed, which is why I posted up here. Luke is on puppy food right now, to get the weight back. His chest and upper body seems to be pretty normal for his size, but his ribs are showing and his back legs are very weak. He didn't eat anything this morning before I left for work, so that worries me, but I'm sure when I get home later today, he'll be ready for some grub...

Va, I heard that the reason for leaving the Pit's tails uncut is for balance. They use it kinda like a pole that a tight wire walker does. Just goes with the breed I guess.

Va, I heard that the reason for leaving the Pit's tails uncut is for balance. They use it kinda like a pole that a tight wire walker does. Just goes with the breed I guess.

I'm learning...shows you how much I don't know about the breed... :laugh:

Can't let a few dog bites scare ya.

I have been bit in the face by a coyote

Bit in the face by an afghan.

Bit in the crotch by an afghan.

Bit in the crotch by a doberman.

Just start biting them back, that is what I started doing. :thumbsup:

Can't let a few dog bites scare ya.

I have been bit in the face by a coyote

Bit in the face by an afghan.

Bit in the crotch by an afghan.

Bit in the crotch by a doberman.

Just start biting them back, that is what I started doing. :thumbsup:

Around here, that's what we'd call a "slow learner" :rofl:

Hey, when the ONLY dog to ever bit me was a Pit Bull, what do you expect? I don't fear snakes or lizards, dogs, cats and their claws...the Pits have always scared me and for good reason. I am admitting NOW though that this experience with Luke has been a very positive one. I'm thankful he came in to our lives and that I can do my part to help him find a better life :)

great job VA, you have a big :love:, im sure he senses that.

Back