Format wars Blu-Ray vs HD

hd dvd what. the red camp lost give it up. blu ray sales was over 60% in the hd sales. i have bought a few since this pic
thumb_up.gif

blu.JPG

hahahahaha another human being that owns "Screamers"! good 'ol sci-fi

Considering that the Wii stole everyones fire and that the Xbox was actually beating the PS3, M$ didn't want the specter of unhappy users raining on what ground they had.
What format Wii playing?
I don't think that the Wii plays anything other than Wii games (I could be wrong...I don't have one).

As far as game systems go, it's outselling both the xbox360 and the PS3.
I was playing Wii on vacation last week. That thing is soo cool. Instead of seating on my butt I was moving. Great fun.

I would follow Dreamworks anytime... the entire Pixar empire rocks....

What is funny is that HD DVD had the lions share of the market on 12/31/07 if you are to believe what you read.

HD DVD leads market share

At least this looks like it might be coming to a close so I can buy the right format
smile.gif

hmmm I've been using CDs, DVDs, LaserDisks, CD and DVD burners since inception and never burned one out. My PS3 is ONLY used to play Blu-Ray and DVDs, not game disks. I download the games direct to the hard drive from online. I guess if it wears out somehow, I'd buy an external player, but for now, and probably the next 5 years until the NEXT thing comes out, I think it will last fine.

Found an instance where Paramount denies that FT reporting. But, this is good anyway:
hdformatwars-080108.png

The format war is over, and HD-DVD lost.  Paramount announced today that they're supporting Blu-Ray.

More here.
From link:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Paramount in HD DVD blow
By Matthew Garrahan and Mariko Sanchanta in Las Vegas

Published: January 8 2008 02:49 | Last updated: January 8 2008 02:49

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers' recent backing of Sony's Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD DVD last summer, joining General Electric's Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format.

EDITOR'S CHOICE
Blu-ray sales show lead over rival - Jan-08Editorial Comment: Betamax's revenge - Jan-07Lex: Sony and Blu-ray - Jan-07Blu-ray deal hits Microsoft and Toshiba - Jan-07Warner plumps for Blu-ray in format wars - Jan-04Price war could break DVD deadlock - Dec-19[/quote]

From my previous post:
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Now then, I didn't know about the triple-X rated films. But with only 2 film companies backing HD-DVD I still see a dim future for that format. These companies (including the XXX industry) are all about making money. If there are more BR players in homes than HD-DVD players, how long do you think they're going to sit idly by watching their competitors make all the dough or watch themselves not making as much as possible? Remember that little movie called Titanic? The morons at Paramount thought DVDs were going to be a phase like laser discs and didn't bother putting it on DVD upon its video release. Do you have ANY idea how much money they lost by doing that? I worked at Blockbuster at that time and plenty of customers said they wouldn't by it until it came out on DVD (myself included). Well guess what, a few months later it was on DVD but by that time the fanfare had dropped. There was even talk about them releasing the director's cut in theaters which was nearly 6 hours long. This was to be done to get some of the lost revenue back from the lack of not having a DVD format. Of course this never happened and Paramount didn't make anywhere NEAR as much as they would have if they would have followed suit earlier. Do you think they're going to make the same mistake again? [/quote]Gawd I'm good!

And for my next prediction, Jacksonville will beat the Pats.
winkold.gif

Yep that is a blow for sure. Things are shaking up in the video end.. To add to the drama, check this out...

Disney movies on XBOX 360

Broadband movies

Microsoft/Bill seem to be 2 steps ahead of everybody else. Blu-Ray & HD-DVD are having a war to see who gets the most backing and in the back door microsoft starts gathering movie companies for downloadable movies.. GO Figure..

Bill Gates is the twist master...
bluegrab.gif

I'd like to see sales numbers for rentals [even netflix] VS PS3 / X360 owners VS people that WILL download full HD movies. I'm not downloading a 30GB movie.... I'll go to block buster and rent it immediately. And purchasing? I love having a physical BOX I paid for with a physical disk in it. As small a number of early adopters there are for HD, it's even a smaller number of people than that interested in DOWNLOADING movies. Most people that DL movies now are simply pirates archiving stuff - they never bother watching or enjoying them... so those don't count in the "Normal people that want to download movies" numbers. And if they destroy the quality of HiDef with compression, count me out. That's not why I got HiDef in the first place.

Music purchase and download is a whole different realm. Those are small and easily protable - unlike HiDef movies, a different crowd and much lower prices

I'd like to see sales numbers for rentals [even netflix] VS PS3 / X360 owners VS people that WILL download full HD movies. I'm not downloading a 30GB movie.... I'll go to block buster and rent it immediately. And purchasing? I love having a physical BOX I paid for with a physical disk in it. As small a number of early adopters there are for HD, it's even a smaller number of people than that interested in DOWNLOADING movies. Most people that DL movies now are simply pirates archiving stuff - they never bother watching or enjoying them... so those don't count in the "Normal people that want to download movies" numbers. And if they destroy the quality of HiDef with compression, count me out. That's not why I got HiDef in the first place.

Music purchase and download is a whole different realm. Those are small and easily protable - unlike HiDef movies, a different crowd and much lower prices
You`d never need to download movie when you can stream it instantly, om-demand.

one more blow to hd dvd
beerchug.gif

Confirming earlier reports that it would follow Warner to Blu-ray exclusivity, New Line says its first HD DVD title ('Pan's Labryinth') will also be its last.

Though it was widely assumed that New Line (whose parent company is Time-Warner) would follow Warner Home Video's lead and continue to release on HD DVD through May 2008, a company rep tells us that New Line's move will go into immediate effect, with all of the studio's planned HD DVD releases now cancelled (including the HD DVD versions of current Blu-ray releases 'Hairspray' and 'Rush Hour 3,' which had previously been planned for HD DVD release sometime in early 2008).
ADVERTISEMENT

As for 'Pan's Labryinth,' which hit stores late last year as the first (and only) New Line HD DVD release, the studio says that once current retail supplies are depleted, the title will be discontinued -- making it an instant collector's item.

New Line says it's not planning to issue an official press release trumpeting the move, ending its short-lived HD DVD support with a relative whimper.

The studio also tells us they won't be revealing any new Blu-ray titles at CES, though they do plan to continue to support the format throughout 2008 with a variety of new release and catalog titles to be announced in the future.

You`d never need to download movie when you can stream it instantly, om-demand.
who's streaming HiDef? I'm all for it, I just don't think it's possible yet

I have yet to download a 30g movie but I have downloaded a 720P movie that was 7g in size. You don't have to wait for the whole movie to download. If you started the download 30 mins before you watched it, you can watch it while it is downloading. Now that would depend on your ISP speed of course. I have Turbo RR and I usually have between 4k and 7k connection tested at dsl-reports.

I would agree that I don't think downloading, at this point, will replace buying DVDs but as the internet gets faster it is very possible. Hell I rent my xbox 360 games from gamefly so I don't have to buy the games. I don't buy videos at all. I was renting them from netflix. I never really see the point in buying something that I might watch 1 time then set it on the shelf for the next year collecting dust. To me that is a waste of money and my money is better served elsewhere..

If I can download a movie for about the same cost as actually leaving the house to go and rent them IF the store has them, then where do I sign up for that service. XBox just needs to start having movies when they are released and believe me people will rent them. Will they put blockbuster out of business? of course not but I bet a fair share would buy them thru xbox live.

who's streaming HiDef? I'm all for it, I just don't think it's possible yet
Every provider would as soon as hi resolution movies are available. 1920x1080 and different compression methods could be used.
BlueRay use the same MPEG2 codec developed 15 years ago. as soon as format set we will stuck with inefficient compression technology.

Streaming in other hand not limited to hardware standards limitations. DIVX is a good example.

yeah blu ray uses MPEG2 also AVC and VC-1. most in the last 6 months have been AVC or VC-1. even on my 10meg internet speed i have downloaded 20gig movies it takes a long time. plus i want too hold the movie in my hand if i pay for it.

yeah blu ray uses MPEG2 also AVC and VC-1. most in the last 6 months have been AVC or VC-1. even on my 10meg internet speed i have downloaded 20gig movies it takes a long time. plus i want too hold the movie in my hand if i pay for it.
No doubt about that. If I had to pay $30 to download a movie or pay $30 to buy the physical movie, I would want the physical movie.

I'm actually just comparing downloading the movie as opposed to going to town and renting it or getting it from netflix. It is a hardly used option now but as internet speeds go up I see it used more and more.

i dont see the average person even with a 25-50 meg connection waiting to download a 1080p movie or streaming it. thats a lot of bandwidth.

i dont see the average person even with a 25-50 meg connection waiting to download a 1080p movie or streaming it. thats a lot of bandwidth.
25 - 50 meg a sec and you would DL that video in 10 to 20 mins. for a 30 gig movie. That is a trip to the "paper reading room"
laugh.gif

But your numbers seem to be correct. They are testing line NOW that run 30 to 50 meg in Amsterdam..

Im still waiting for Internet2 to actually hit public. The new record on that line is like 16 gig a sec..
SHOCKED.gif

Back