Fork seals done

karnage

Registered
Got to doing my fork seals today and man that was easy.Took about an hour and a half to do both and now it feels great.Either tube had 13 oz. which is 3 oz. to little.I am thinking the last owner took some out to make it softer and lower it that way??I tweaked the adjustments by the setup on here and it feels so much better now.I wish I had bought new springs as well but that can wait.I also raised it back up about 3/4 inch. to save my new exhaust hopefully.

The fluid that came out was real clean and clear.I was surprised at how easy they were.I remember them being harder but I think that was the regular forks not inverted.

I did.I pumped the cartridges like a dozen times each side.Hope it was enough.It sounded like it was pushing fluid when I was done.

Just did mine (again) also. They're so rediculously easy once you figure it all out, good job getting em worked out though.

I need to do my fork seals.

Just curious if you guys are doing them the easy way or by the book?

Easy way: Just remove the 10mm bolt on the bottom.
Book way: Use the special tools to compress spring, etc.

In my research, it looks like the drawback to the easy way is that you can't really measure the fluid depth.

Which is the most popular method? Any last minute tips?

I expect my oil and dust seals will be at the shop waiting for me to pick up on my way home from work today. I am also microanalyzing this process in the abstract and trying to visualize the process in my head for doing it the easy way on my Gen I. I think I need to just start tearing into it. I wasn't at all intimidated by any of the other maintenance I've done. I synched the throttle bodies without a second thought. But for some reason the fork seals are intimidating to me without having actually tried doing them yet.

They are simple to do really.I did them the easy way.I pushed all the old fluid out, reassembled then put 16 oz. in and bled the air out.The measurement was close.110mm from what I am told which is the second ring from the top of the fork pretty much.putting the right amount in made a huge difference in feel.Mine were soft and spongy before.Now they are firm and rebound right.

They are simple to do really.I did them the easy way.I pushed all the old fluid out, reassembled then put 16 oz. in and bled the air out.The measurement was close.110mm from what I am told which is the second ring from the top of the fork pretty much.putting the right amount in made a huge difference in feel.Mine were soft and spongy before.Now they are firm and rebound right.

You lost me there. Can you explain?

Brian from fluid suspensions says the fluid should be 110mm from the top of the fork.There is a ring just before the fork tube flares out wider.I think the ring is made into the tube or its a mark from the clamp not sure but there is a ring there.

Is this the easy way? Please correct me where I am wrong.
Remove the bolt at the bottom.
unscrew the top cap.
Remove the cartridge
Change the seals
Reassemble, replace the bolt in bottom
Fill with oil to the mark approx 110mm from top of tube
Replace the cap
Pump the forks and bleed until air is gone
No more wheelies.
Does this correctly cover it? Because I read the manual and it scarred the hell out of me.
Thanks for the help.

Is this the easy way? Please correct me where I am wrong.
Remove the bolt at the bottom.
unscrew the top cap.
Remove the cartridge
Change the seals
Reassemble, replace the bolt in bottom
Fill with oil to the mark approx 110mm from top of tube
Replace the cap
Pump the forks and bleed until air is gone
No more wheelies.
Does this correctly cover it? Because I read the manual and it scarred the hell out of me.
Thanks for the help.

The last part is wrong, it should read "learn to ride wheelies".:laugh:
If you learn to set them down easy your seals will last alot longer.:beerchug:

Back