Fixing broken plastic

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
Broke this part off getting the nose fairing off. I thought I had it fixed with JBWeld Plastic Weld epoxy, supposedly specially designed for ABS, but when I started trying to fit the nose back on this morning it popped back off.

What have others had success with?

Considering going to Harbor Freight and getting a plastic welding kit. Anyone done that?

Any ideas appreciated!

20230111_102427.jpg

I would sand the 2 surfaces that you are trying to put together with a coarse grit, and try it again, as the smooth finish allows little for the epoxy to stick to.

I would use plastic wield epoxy. Prep both surfaces with coarse sand paper. apply epoxy to both surfaces. Put the broken piece in place, then weight it down or clamp it together for 12 hours minimum inside at least 70 degrees.

Forgot to mention, i used permatex brand.

This thread is kinda old but I've always had good luck with stainless mesh. I'll glue the piece back together, then embed the mesh, using a soldering iron to melt the mesh into the plastic, bridging the cracked area.
A woodburning kit works best because it has wide, flat tips that make it easier to transfer heat.
This is a front mudguard and it's been holding strong for about 7 years now.

IMG_20230628_111447882.jpg

IMG_20230628_111352892.jpg

IMG_20230628_111402445.jpg

Back