FIRST TIMER DRAG RACING A BUSA (ADVICE)

OB_KZZ1

Registered
Will be taking my Busa to the strip 8-18 with the stock ride height. Bike has pipe , pc II, airbox mod. Do I need to do a burn out or run the street tire as is? Lower air pressure in the rear to what? What rpms should I launch at? Bike also has stock gearing. Any advice would be appricated

Lower the back
Strap the front
12-15psi Should hook on a stock tire
Leave at 3-4k RPMS
Get Brock Clutch Mod ASAP
Also the stiff Schnitz springs help out a lot
16 Tooth front gear
If 200lbs range go up to a 42 in the rear

My weight is 160 and what does the Schnitz springs do to the clutch? Would like to run the bike with the stock ride height. Is this bike hard to launch in stock trim?

find a car park, or secluded road and practise the launching. It is not as easy as all the old hands make out!!

too many revs the rear spins, too little the motor bogs, or dies, i even stalled onthe line!!!!

The advice I was given, shift at about 10,500rpm
head down low, clutchless upshifts, and just nail it.

Most of all enjoy it!!

Nuts ;)

IM NOT AN EXPERT!!!!!

Be careful with that stock clutch. Don't attempt to clamp the front brake and load (then load harder) the rear tire. If so, I predict 50/50 chance at a missed light when you wish to rail. That bleeping stock clutch is bleeping dangerous - personal opinion.

I prefer a little more air in the rear - (I) use 20+ish lbs. I also haven't adjusted the height (yet). I'd say you will probably need to heat your tire if you start getting extremely consistent times and you want to improve.

woohooo.... the only reason I'm looking forward to cooler weather is to improve my times at the dragstrip! I feel 9's coming very soon.

I've taken my bone stock '00 to the strip once. Compared to my previous bike ('97 ZX9R), it's a piece of cake to launch. I ran normal (~36psi) air pressure and did ferocious rolling burnouts (mainly trying to justify a rapid purchase of Michelin Pilots). I loaded the driveline by holding the front brake and launched around 4000-5000rpm by releasing the brake and clutch while slowly rolling in the throttle.

You should ride it on the street for awhile to heat the tire up and then stop somewhere to practice launching. When I did this I bogged it the first few times, but I didn't waste track time figuring out that it needs a little rpm to launch. It's fairly nose heavy, so if it lofts the front end under power toward the top of first gear, it's pretty civilized about it.

Good Luck!

Back