First time riders..

I bought my wife a Katana last year. She drove it and put about 1200 miles on it. We traded it in and got a 2008 Hayabusa. She knows that she has to be careful and respect bike since I have a busa as well. She has drove it already around a little and loves it. I think it depends on the person's intelligence/common sense if they can ride a busa. I think she will be fine after some more seat time. Also, I taught her how to ride last year. So I would still consider her a beginner. I am impressed in her being able to listen to me and understand certain things that I point out that are important to understand about riding bikes. I expect her to be fine.
I agree 100% with ya.. Heck just goto Youtube and do a search for the dragon... I have seen MANY MANY videos of wrecks that are by people with WAY more riding skills(skills not common sense) than prob 50% of the people here. People on one corner are completly under control with a knee scrapping the ground in full leather and the whole nine yards.. Then the next turn they try to pass a car and crash or hit a bad spot in the road and crash or (insert something here) and crash..

point is  people with the best skills who have started with small bikes and worked their way up to a busa but lack the small part of their brain that stores common sense. To me at least, is FAR worse than someone with a good head on their shoulders and bought a busa as a 1st bike.

I don't want to single any age group out but... I would say that 90% of any male between 16 and 23 should NEVER be alowed on a sport bike let alone a bike like a busa and when I was that age I would put me in that group also. Not because of their skills but more because of their mindset.. Matter of fact I think having some skill would be even worse.. They would push themselves way to much..

I bought my wife a Katana last year. She drove it and put about 1200 miles on it. We traded it in and got a 2008 Hayabusa. She knows that she has to be careful and respect bike since I have a busa as well. She has drove it already around a little and loves it. I think it depends on the person's intelligence/common sense if they can ride a busa. I think she will be fine after some more seat time. Also, I taught her how to ride last year. So I would still consider her a beginner. I am impressed in her being able to listen to me and understand certain things that I point out that are important to understand about riding bikes. I expect her to be fine.
I agree 100% with ya.. Heck just goto Youtube and do a search for the dragon... I have seen MANY MANY videos of wrecks that are by people with WAY more riding skills(skills not common sense) than prob 50% of the people here. People on one corner are completly under control with a knee scrapping the ground in full leather and the whole nine yards.. Then the next turn they try to pass a car and crash or hit a bad spot in the road and crash or (insert something here) and crash..

point is  people with the best skills who have started with small bikes and worked their way up to a busa but lack the small part of their brain that stores common sense. To me at least, is FAR worse than someone with a good head on their shoulders and bought a busa as a 1st bike.

I don't want to single any age group out but... I would say that 90% of any male between 16 and 23 should NEVER be alowed on a sport bike let alone a bike like a busa and when I was that age I would put me in that group also. Not because of their skills but more because of their mindset.. Matter of fact I think having some skill would be even worse.. They would push themselves way to much..
A Katana was my first street bike and in the younger part of that age frame. And yes I would not have trusted myself with half of the busa.

First bike was 06 roadstar warrior, but 4000 mi. in 3 months and trade it in for 06LE Busa and got over 20k mi. on it and enjoy the ride. My next do neighbor rides a harley and just purchase a 07 Busa. I wounder why?

lots of boys who remember riding their 125cc dirtbikes that think they can ride the biggest,baddest bikes out there right out of the box.
That's how I felt. I learned the basic concepts of riding on a KX125 in San Diego about 6 years ago and then learned to ride a street bike on a Shadow 1100. You can bet your ass I dropped that sucker because it was so heavy. Then I took the MSF course and got a Ninja 250 and went from there.

I really think you have to appreciate the "art of riding" before getting the big bikes. Harley's... okay... but something that is incredibly fast like the busa people don't understand. Look at the kids who get fast cars as their first cars, for example the Subaru WRX's. There was a high school kid from my hometown last year who's parents got that for him as his first car, was hauling ass down the street and t-boned another car killing the driver, and his best friend and sister who were in the car with him... he lived.

anyone ever ridden with any of these "First bike" "One bike" wonders?

some of the riding skills are "Unique" to put it nicely...

unable to hold lanes, corner like they are on a tricycle, can do a wheelie, lock the rear tire, and of course do it all with one hand on the handlebars...

They seem to have a "special" way of riding having never knowing what a bike should be able to handle or how to make it do it..
Want a testament to how I ride? Ask Busa SS or Fonzie. Or I can give you #'s to other riding friends that I ride with. I have yet to have anyone complain about the way I ride. Have no clue how to wheelie, nor do I want to know how to wheelie. I have wheelied but only under hard acceleration.

I didn't buy my bike because it was "the fastest" I went to the dealership and looked at just about every bike there. The only one that was comfortable was the Busa. I dont ride a couple miles and then put it back in the garage. My first 6 months of having it, I had 10k miles on it. Try doing that on a litre bike or 600. It's not unusual for me to have 600+ mile day trips. Last trip was 3 days and 1300 miles. It is my daily ride 9 months out of the year. I dont ride when there is snow on the ground for some reason
dunno.gif

I'm not claiming to be a great rider. I learn, then re-learn and then learn again. Any biker should be doing that. I dont drag my knees. Could I? Probably but why? It's not necessary for me to drag my knees to enjoy the ride.

I've dropped it twice. Both before I was a member here and learned about the kickstand mod. Have not dropped it since doing the mod.
14 years of dirt bikes takes you beyond the "first bike" issues... I will always advocate dirt bikes as a starting place.. you can learn skills that are impossible to learn on a street bike (well without spending $$$$ and killing yourself)

If given the choice over a first timer on a Busa with years of dirt bikes OR Busa "First and only" bike with a year under his belt?

Dirt bike rider wins every single time and I do not care how long Mr "First and only" has been on the road, he will not have the same skills as the dirt bike rider nor will he ever..

this was my favorite dirt bake as a kid. I think I was 12 or 13 when I had this one. I THINK IT WEIGHTS IN A 360#

It is possible to have a Busa as your first bike...If you respect the bike, youll be fine..If you don't, well it really doesn't matter what you start out on, you will still end up hurting yourself.

I personally know 3 people who started out riding on a Busa...All three are accident free..

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
Busa204 @ Feb. 21 2008 said:
1304753[/ATTACH] PM]
It is possible to have a Busa as your first bike...If you respect the bike, youll be fine..If you don't, well it really doesn't matter what you start out on, you will still end up hurting yourself.

I personally know 3 people who started out riding on a Busa...All three are accident free..
Sure it is possible, most anything is... however can you slide the back of the busa around with the tire locked up? can you recover from a locked front brake? how far can you push the bike before you reach its limits?

Is it wise? again opinions vary and you will never convince so guy that started with a Busa that he screwed himself on skills.. Smaller more nimble bikes allow a bit of learning with a degree of forgiveness.. you get none of that hon a 500lb 170hp bike.. you screw up, it costs you lots of money or your life..

I can fall off a dirt bike 50 times for free and learn how to handle a bike in a full lock brake slide..

Can you slide the back end of your bike around with the rear tire locked?

I can do that on the Busa as well without high siding the bike.. useful skill? maybe not but if you ever have some yanko turn left in front of you and stop, it can save your life (BTDT)

There are a hundred ways to justify buying any bike but you only get killed once.. Like any "hazardous" sport, starting smaller is almost always better..

I think I am almost an expert on "risk taking" and there are dozens of other guys here that have done all the same stuff I have..

Here is the last 40+ years of fun without getting clobbered (might have missed something)...

Skydiving
Drag Racing
Boat Racing
Scuba diving
Pilot license
Rock climbing
Down hill skiing
Ultra Lites
Hang Gliding
Bull riding
Street Rods
Southwest tour Nascar (1 day of bliss)
Dirt Bikes
Two timing my ex wife (had to throw that in)

Street Bikes (the one and only exception? not in my book, probably the single most hazardous thing I do)

I turn 50 this year and hope I get to be Dons age and still riding a Busa....

zzwhip.gif

I got lots to catch up to Randy, in the last 36 years;

Skydiving
Scuba diving
Down Hill Skiing(watch the knees)
Dirt Bikes when I was kid
And I agree, street riding is the most dangerous of them all!
beerchug.gif

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
1304796[/ATTACH] PM]

Sure it is possible, most anything is... however can you slide the back of the busa around with the tire locked up?  can you recover from a locked front brake?  how far can you push the bike before you reach its limits?

Is it wise?  again opinions vary and you will never convince so guy that started with a Busa that he screwed himself on skills..  Smaller more nimble bikes allow a bit of learning with a degree of forgiveness.. you get none of that hon a 500lb 170hp bike.. you screw up, it costs you lots of money or your life..  

I can fall off a dirt bike 50 times for free and learn how to handle a bike in a full lock brake slide..

Can you slide the back  end of your bike around with the rear tire locked?

I can do that on the Busa as well without high siding the bike.. useful skill? maybe not but if you ever have some yanko turn left in front of you and stop, it can save your life  (BTDT)

There are a hundred ways to justify buying any bike but you only get killed once..  Like any "hazardous" sport, starting smaller is almost always better..

I think I am almost an expert on "risk taking" and there are dozens of other guys here that have done all the same stuff I have..

Here is the last 40+ years of fun without getting clobbered (might have missed something)...

Skydiving
Drag Racing
Boat Racing
Scuba diving
Pilot license
Rock climbing
Down hill skiing
Ultra Lites
Hang Gliding
Bull riding
Street Rods
Southwest tour Nascar  (1 day of bliss)
Dirt Bikes

Street Bikes (the one and only exception? not in my book, probably the single most hazardous thing I do)

I turn 50 this year  and hope I get to be Dons age and still riding a Busa....
You have a 20 year head start on me
poke.gif
whistling.gif
laugh.gif

zzwhip.gif

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
1304819[/ATTACH] PM]

Sure it is possible, most anything is... however can you slide the back of the busa around with the tire locked up?  can you recover from a locked front brake?  how far can you push the bike before you reach its limits?

Is it wise?  again opinions vary and you will never convince so guy that started with a Busa that he screwed himself on skills..  Smaller more nimble bikes allow a bit of learning with a degree of forgiveness.. you get none of that hon a 500lb 170hp bike.. you screw up, it costs you lots of money or your life..  

Can you slide the back  end of your bike around with the rear tire locked?

I can do that on the Busa as well without high siding the bike.. useful skill? maybe not but if you ever have some yanko turn left in front of you and stop, it can save your life  (BTDT)

There are a hundred ways to justify buying any bike but you only get killed once..  Like any "hazardous" sport, starting smaller is almost always better..

Skydiving
Drag Racing
Boat Racing
Scuba diving
Pilot license
Rock climbing
Down hill skiing
Ultra Lites
Hang Gliding
Bull riding
Street Rods
Southwest tour Nascar  (1 day of bliss)
Dirt Bikes

I turn 50 this year  and hope I get to be Dons age and still riding a Busa....
You have a 20 year head start on me
poke.gif

whistling.gif

laugh.gif
fight.gif

zzwhip.gif

i got a busa as my first bike and i wouldnt have anything else.

h*** im not even a suzuki person and i wouldnt have anything but my busa. i rode friends street bikes from time to time, but i knew if i bought a bike from age 18-30 i was would kill myself(i was a little crazy), so i didnt. i always had dirtbikes when i was young & it definetly helped my riding skills
i will never downgrade anyone for buying what ever bike they like if they ride right. i would rather ride with some socalled "newbie"(thats still scared of the power) than some 10 year "veteran" that rides like a jacka** everywhere we go.

a bike will only go as fast as your right hand and brain let it.

crap, my brothers 636 will run 160mph and get there quick. not as quick as a busa but quick enough to get you hurt/killed. you can get injured on a anything. ive found its more the "cagers" that cause the problems than the bike riders.
How many times have you had someone pull out/over on you going down the road?
my .02

Its frame of mind and respect of the right wrist. With great power come great responsibility. Dont know who said that.
Uncle Ben said that to Peter Parker.

It's true, though.

Seriously, though, I don't think I have enough experience and here's mine:

1 year ninja 250
2 years 03 Yammy R6
2 years 98 gsxr 750
Now the busa and I'm scared as piss of it
Thats actually a pretty good progression. The busa isn't THAT intimidating
whistling.gif
When I got my gen 1 I was actually a little disappointed.....but to be fair I live at 5000ft up. And after a few mods its MUCH better now. Stock tho, from my experiences power delivery wise, a liter is MUCH more of a handful than a busa...at least at my elevation
winkold.gif

Well I am in the class of 07 for newbies. It technically was not my fist bike but I only had a month and about 3,000 miles on a 750 before getting it. I wanted a bike I could sit back cruise for 100 miles no problem. Not back hurting a$$ falling off like my 750 did me. I looked at bikes here and there after I got mine and just loved sitting on the Busa. I felt like there was something under me. So after my wife who was totally against bikes (just got her first last week) said well I know that is the bike you really want so she kicked me the cash to trade mine in and buy a new Busa. I had a couple of friends totally against it. I had one with allot of experience who told me that you have to know yourself. Like he said you might be mature enough to own a Busa because it will not take off full throttle by itself that is your hand on the throttle. He even said I know me I know my own riding style and I don't need that type of power in my hands because I will use all of it, but you are different and have a different view on riding.
I have it I ride all the time forgot how many miles I have but I left before riding season was up or I would have had more. There are allot that chime in about this bing their first bike. I know last year when I first jumped on here poking around asking the newbie question about do I have enough riding experience there were allot of newbie's asking the same questions that are not here. We should have a new riders forum and then look and see how many are still on at the end of the year. There is no one asks about a Busa on here gets one starts riding and does not stay here. Like you said they wreck, drop, or just get rid of it. Then we could keep a running tally so to speak of riders that buy one and have one a year later. I also think it will directly reflect the age at which these riders get their bike. I bought mine at 31 had I bought it at 21 I would be that youtube video of that jackass passing a car on the outside flying off a cliff, in shorts flip flops no shirt with a beer in his hand. That was me so don't all you youngsters start freaking out on me. I know there are a few "few"￾ mature young guys around.

Its frame of mind and respect of the right wrist. With great power come great responsibility. Dont know who said that.
Uncle Ben said that to Peter Parker.

It's true, though.

Seriously, though, I don't think I have enough experience and here's mine:

1 year ninja 250
2 years 03 Yammy R6
2 years 98 gsxr 750
Now the busa and I'm scared as piss of it
Thats actually a pretty good progression. The busa isn't THAT intimidating  
whistling.gif
 When I got my gen 1 I was actually a little disappointed.....but to be fair I live at 5000ft up. And after a few mods its MUCH better now. Stock tho, from my experiences power delivery wise, a liter is MUCH more of a handful than a busa...at least at my elevation  
winkold.gif
I know, it does feel lighter for some reason than my 750. To be fair, it does have slip ons and a K&N. I just got it in November, so I've driven it two times, and both times it was 32 degrees and I was busting the tire loose with moderate acceleration. I swear my R6 had a "wheelie button."

You know, i felt alittle disapointed too when i bought my 04'. Not extremely, but when you hear years of overhyped BS about a bike and you find it's not so, you can feel slightly let down. I also came to know of how much the weight of the rider can affect the performance of a bike. I'm 6'4 300lbs, i've witnessed my bike in the hands of a 160lbs rider and you'd think it had a nitrous bottle turned on by how much different it performed.

You know, i felt alittle disapointed too when i bought my 04'. Not extremely, but when you hear years of overhyped BS about a bike and you find it's not so, you can feel slightly let down.   I also came to know of how much the weight of the rider can affect the performance of a bike.  I'm 6'4 300lbs, i've witnessed my bike in the hands of a 160lbs rider and you'd think it had a nitrous bottle turned on by how much different it performed.
Ha hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same thing goes for two up riding. My last girlfriend weighed 105lbs, and my current weighs 140lbs (not fat, she's in shape) but it does make a difference. I haven't and would never tell her that, though.

A Busa was my first street bike and I've not had any collisions. I dropped my 02 but that was because I was a dumb ass. THROTTLE CONTROL!

Back