first experience with maaco turned out great!

hemi

Registered
Long story short, have been working on blacking out my truck one piece at a time. First project, I started on the grille, had the stock chrome grille and wanted it black. Got in a big rush, as i always do painting, scuffed the chrome grille up a bit and started spraying away. Turned out pretty good, but only took a few weeks for some nice chrome rock chips:laugh:. Was worried like hell that it would look like complete crap after a short amount of time, especially winter. Found a place in cincinnati, ohio (certifit) that had a black primered oem type grille for $60. Had a day off work this week so I drove all the way down there and bought one, then dropped it off to maaco to be painted. Have heard many horror stories about maaco, but the grille looks great. Matches the paint perfectly, even the blue pearl speckles in the oem paint (brilliant black). Only charged me $128 and had it done the next day, checked with rutherford and they wanted $500 and 3 or 4 day wait:rofl:. I'm very happy with the end result, if i buy some more parts for the truck that are primed and ready to go, i may have maaco paint them again
001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

A paint job is much like a house, it is built from the bottom up. 99% of messed up paint jobs can be traced back to the prep work. I know a few painters who cut their teeth in Macco body shops. The use a good quality primer and paint, only to have it messed up by poor body work. But it does look good, and most likely will last as long as the rest of the paint will.

I would never have an entire car painted by them, i think that is where they severely suffer, is the prep work and masking off certain areas. Have read a bunch where people had their car painted and the whole engine bay/wheels are the same color with the overspray. My friend had a 99 cobra back in the days and took it to maaco to have a cowl hood he bought painted, whole windshield had overspray and the black plastic/wiper cowling. I figured they would be the cheapest route, and how could u mess up painting a plastic grille shell that was already primed and ready to go. As long as they use quality paint like other shops and it lasts for quite a while, I'm happy

Looks good!!!
My dads had alot of good luck with maaco, ya gotta look at it this way if all your doing is painting, 8 hrs a day 5-6 days a week your gonna eventually get good at it! The guy that did my camaro years ago started out painting at maaco, he did my car out of a 2 car garage and i was shocked when there really wasnt much orange peel to knock down and buff out. practice does make perfect.

I had an 89 Shelby dodge daytona turbo painted by Earl sheib once. Earl sheib is basically like a Maaco, man I was afraid. That car was my baby. The paint turned out fantastic for the price which if I remember correctly was around $800 for the whole gig back in the late 90's. I paid a couple hundred extra for the higher quality clear coat and the paint was pretty much the same color as your truck. I could not have been happier with the way it turned out. Sometimes the long shot is worth the shot.

That looks much better than what you had on there, the new headlights look great too. The truck is really coming along now.

Maaco does a nice job as long as the prep is done right.Otherwise they use a spray to let the paint adhere to the old paint and it turns out like crap or doesnt last and de-lams.Paint looks good on the truck.

thanks for the compliments, I'm pretty much done with the blacking out project. Gonna leave the bumpers as they are, unless i end up getting some black wheels down the road then i will powdercoat the bumpers or somethin. Next project is lighting, installed 6000k 35w hid's a week or so ago in the heads, still waiting on the 6000k fog hid's to show up. Also converting the hella lights behind the grille to hid, gonna go with 3000k in those. Other than the headlights, got all the other hid kits from ddmtuning, shipping is taking forever!

What is the beam pattern like on the HID conversion for the truck? I have thought about changing out my work beater car (2000 Sable) to HID lights because I live in the country and cannot see anything with the stock lights.

The beam pattern isn't too bad, scattered just a bit but not much. Love them so far, the stock lights on the dodge rams suck. Had to adjust the lights down quite a bit after my 2" level and hid kit install. Hid's were one of the best mods i did on the busa, not sure why i waited so long on the truck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Truck looks good, I've had two cars painted by maaco. It lasted for years after the paint job. They are cheap to go with.

Back