Families are so disconnected anymore...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I took my boys to the orthodontist yesterday, and the waiting room was full of younger kids, teens and parents. The kids walk in with their phones in hand, looking down at 'em of course, not paying attention to anything else. One teen girl had her cell phone so close to her face, I wondered how in the world she could even see it clearly. There was one Dad sitting in there, only looked up from his smart phone to fuss at his daughter when she dropped her cell and to tell her to "pay attention" as her name was called to head back; she was completely enthralled in some gaming kiosk - I thought of how ironic his statement was given just how disconnected he seemed; only thing that jostled him was her cell hitting the ground :rofl:

I just sat there, waiting for my kids appts to be over, discreetly people watching. No one talks, interacts, nothing...my oldest son came out first and saw the kiosk was available, so off he went to game :laugh: My youngest came out and sat next to me and we actually spoke to one another; asked him about his appt, etc...

I can't stand how connected everyone is to others not with them; it's a complete disconnect from the life right in front of you - families completely ignoring one another to chat with everyone else but the group that they're with... :banghead: It is likely one of the top pet peeves of mine anymore.

I'll continue to NOT buy my boys cell phones :laugh: I'd much rather sit and talk to them, but even that is a chore at times with distractions they have like their Kindle Fires, Nintendo DS and gaming kiosks ???

Moral Decay I tell ya...that commercial where the daughter is talking about how she's worried about her parents withdrawing from life, that she's pushed them to be on Facebook to get connected, and as the daughter is looking at some photo of a puppy and says "This is living"...THAT commercial rings so true with how society views "living life" anymore. It's passing so many by...

It's a new addiction of sorts. I didn't grow up connected and I appreciated that, especially now, seeing how most folks are zombied out using there device. I'm required to have a smart phone for work. However annoying that is, I don't play games with it, I don't connect to FB with it, etc....just work e-mail and answering the phone. I see the exact things you are mentioning and it is actually sad to watch!

I have a smart phone, and I am connected some, but there is a time and place, IMHO...if you're sitting there with your kids, why not talk to them? :laugh:

We're raising kids to think this is "life", but instead you're missing everything important...can't go back either; I often wonder if anyone will eventually see all that was missed and have regret ???

As an aside, I see my kids doing it, and lately, I've been forcing the older one (addicted to YouTube videos and watching Netflix on his Kindle Fire, playing Halo on the XBOX) to SHUT IT OFF and focus on whatever family-oriented thing we're doing. He sometimes fights me, but he knows I won't allow it, so lately he's been pretty quick to tune out the electronics... :thumbsup:

As we chat on the .org :whistle:

I am going to do what I can to keep my daughter disconnected from FB and a phone as long as I can.

As we chat on the .org :whistle:

I am going to do what I can to keep my daughter disconnected from FB and a phone as long as I can.

There isn't a soul around me to be upset over this...if I were doing this and my kids were being neglected, yeah, you'd have a leg to stand on :poke:

....she says all this as she's typing it on a computer with a 27" HD monitor, into cyber-space where a bazillion people can view it and comment....all from their iDevices, Androids and other cool gadgets....and without ever speaking a word. :laugh:

Oh, and let me publish this to FB, too :moon:

....she says all this as she's typing it on a computer with a 27" HD monitor, into cyber-space where a bazillion people can view it and comment....all from their iDevices, Androids and other cool gadgets....and without ever speaking a word. :laugh:

Oh, and let me publish this to FB, too :moon:

Again, not doing this with anyone around...it's just me and Dave Matthews Band in the background, so I'm not neglecting anyone at the moment...

It's not like you who sit and "watch a movie" with your kids while you've got the iPad, iPhone and laptop in your lap, now is it?! :whistle:

as much as i agree with the things said, and as sad as i am about these things, it is the new way kids communicate with each other, however disconnected it may seem, now as parents we have the rights to monitor such things and enforce our beliefs, what the kids take from that who knows
all we can do is try to make them better for adulthood.

as much as i agree with the things said, and as sad as i am about these things, it is the new way kids communicate with each other, however disconnected it may seem, now as parents we have the rights to monitor such things and enforce our beliefs, what the kids take from that who knows
all we can do is try to make them better for adulthood.

It's not just the kids doing it; I think they are learning a lot of the behavior from their parents :banghead: We are just as much to blame...

It's not just the kids doing it; I think they are learning a lot of the behavior from their parents :banghead: We are just as much to blame...

true we kinda set the example for the kids, thats kinda what i meant by what we (parents) enforce upon them and monitor. whatever happened to the family get together where everyone talked about how their day went, kinda like the waltons :laugh:

true we kinda set the example for the kids, thats kinda what i meant by what we (parents) enforce upon them and monitor. whatever happened to the family get together where everyone talked about how their day went, kinda like the waltons :laugh:

You've just made me decide that is something I will strive to do more with my own kids...dinner, together, no TV, devices, etc...we do it some, but not enough... :thumbsup:

You've just made me decide that is something I will strive to do more with my own kids...dinner, together, no TV, devices, etc...we do it some, but not enough... :thumbsup:

now your kids are gonna hate me :laugh::laugh: j/k

now your kids are gonna hate me :laugh::laugh:

No, they won't...I've tried over the years to do right by them, watch what they do, try to steer 'em right :laugh:

They complain about their Dad sitting and watching a movie with them, with his laptop out, chatting with his girlfriend. I don't do that just because they've voiced that they hate it, and I admit (and Omar knows), I hate it as well when it's done to me...

I'm far from perfect, but I swear, I do my best to enjoy the time I have with them...you only get to ride this ride once :thumbsup:

No, they won't...I've tried over the years to do right by them, watch what they do, try to steer 'em right :laugh:

They complain about their Dad sitting and watching a movie with them, with his laptop out, chatting with his girlfriend. I don't do that just because they've voiced that they hate it, and I admit (and Omar knows), I hate it as well when it's done to me...

I'm far from perfect, but I swear, I do my best to enjoy the time I have with them...you only get to ride this ride once :thumbsup:

so true, so true

quit posting so much on this thread, my damn kid is running around the store screaming and i'm trying to read this on my phone.

:laugh::laugh: just kidding i don't have kids

Well my kids came through after the iage. They had Nintendo and XBOX, but until they were teenagers and had friends over we would all play. Loved it, good times. When the current wife and I would talk about my kids, she tells me she would have hated having the parents around that much. Who knows. My peers bought the kids golf carts to get rid of the kids :laugh:

I agree with what you are saying and doing with your kids. One thought I have about it is if the kids don't keep up with the technology by the time they grow up they will lost and so out of touch they might be able to survive in a sense. Back in 2001 I sponsored 2 kids in the Junior Nationals pool tournament and it was about 190 kids from all over the US. Last year I was told it was less then 50. Everyone I talk to about kids in sports say that it is all dying because of the growing technology such as video games cell phones and things like that. Kids are more obese then ever because of lack of activity and playing computer games and texting all day long. Technology is supposed to make them smarter but yet it's killing their health in most cases. If they are not doing it they feel pier pressure and feel as if they don't fit in. I have a 7 year old grand daughter and she is already playing cell phones games and has and iPod. Her Mother gives it to her so she is not bothered by her. Its out of my hands and her mother and my son are divorced. When I have her it is quality time spend in church and trying to play out side games. The best you can do for a kid is to love them and try to prepare them for the future the best you can. Best of luck

Back