Extended swing arms - would you do it again?

Gen3lover

Registered
I have a 2022 and ever since I did a tail tidy the rear tire looks pushed in too far under the tail.
To cure this I’m thinking about a 4 inch stretch using a bolt-on extension kit.
I only ride street so this is for looks only.

Will this drastically change the handling?
To those who’ve done this, would you do it again?

It probably will effect handling, will it be a drastic difference? Depends on your riding style. You can always do the extension and if you don't like the way the bike handles remove it, sell it and recoup some of your money.

Just me but extensions are crap.
Adjustable arm.
I put my g3 at about 2.5 over. Handles fine.

Just me but extensions are crap.
Adjustable arm.
I put my g3 at about 2.5 over. Handles fine.
No problem I appreciate the honesty.
I’ve read that extensions are fine for the street, not for drag racing which I have no plans to do.
What are your thoughts?

Personally I can not stand extended arms on a bike.. any bike.
Unless it’s for a specific purpose like drag racing or hill climbs.
On the street… dumb idea IMHO.
Here in NZ we have safety inspections annually on bikes, cars etc etc.
If a bike is presented with a structural change or modification such as extended arm it will not pass.
It will need to go to an engineer to be certified as safe.
You know, I’d love to see the stats on the failures of the bolt on extensions.
Do they ever come adrift, broken mounting bolts, or loosend mounts etc?
Would be interested to know if this happens much.
Anyone here heard of it?

Wow, NZ is tough on bikes! I'm not a fan of long extended swingarms either and don't get me started on fat tire kits.
Anyway, as I stated I'm just doing this for cosmetic purposes because once the rear fender is removed it really changes the look of the bike. Makes the rear tire look like it's scrunched in too far. I keep hearing that a 4-inch stretch is the sweet spot to get everything lined up nicely.
I know, put the rear fender back on to solve this problem but then you have that ungodly looking thing hanging down in the back.
As far as bolts coming loose, using Loctite will solve that concern. I haven't heard of failures this this regard but I'm all ears if anyone has a story to share.

No problem I appreciate the honesty.
I’ve read that extensions are fine for the street, not for drag racing which I have no plans to do.
What are your thoughts?
Extensions are probably fine for the street, just me, but is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks vs an arm. For me its so not worth it. Life is too important. Yes it will work for you but should you. Your call of course!

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Back