Exhaust? 4:2 or 4:2:1

TheBull350

Registered
Hey all. I'm looking for a full system I guess. The only problem is the fact that I like the dual exhaust. I would like a full system with dual outlets, but I see that many manufacturer's only make 4-2-1. I was almost dead set on the Akro's, Should I just get bolt on's? I mostly want deep sound and looks. I definatley wouldn't mind more power, but is it worth it? I have the cash for either one, but I'm unsure?

Any help? Advice?

Well...it was recently pointed out by one member that modifying the entire exhaust system on a new bike may affect your warranty...so, might want to check in to that before you swap everything out for something new...

Check out my "Exhaust 101" thread...I've been asking for advice on changing the exhaust as well, and the guys/gals have been very helpful, posting pics, etc...

Good luck...

If you don't care about the warranty...HMF makes a full exhaust system 4-2. Yeah they look meaner but they don't produce as much of a hp gain. 4-2-1 makes the most hp... The choice is really yours...do you want looks or performance?

The majority of the companies make 4-2-1. From what I recall the only company that has a thier "top of the line" model a 4-2 is HMF. Yoshi makes low lvl full system 4-2. But thier "top of the line" is 4-2-1. Just to give you an example.

I hope this helps you...if not someone else that is better at explaining will be on here shortly. heheh

D&D makes a 4:2 system as well
have a set on mine with black midpipes and black endcaps
cool.gif
;)
cool.gif

check out stockbusas got some 4:2 D&D

cool.gif

If you want to drop a few more pounds then a 4
cool.gif
1 system will be lighter. It is all personal preference really.

ive got one for ya , ijust got off the phone with a local suzuki dealer and the parts guy tells me everyone he knows that has a 4into 1 on thier busa warps or melts the front fairing even with heat wrap. is this the case? if so this sucks because from what i know 4to1 gives the most performance
cussing.gif

HP

ive got one for ya , ijust got off the phone with a local suzuki dealer and the parts guy tells me everyone he knows that has a 4into 1 on thier busa warps or melts the front fairing even with heat wrap. is this the case?  if so this sucks because from what i know 4to1 gives the most performance  
cussing.gif

HP
He is correct if you do not take care of it before hand. The 4
cool.gif
1;2 will do the same thing in 2 spots. You need to use the head shield supplied and more.

I think there was something in some magazine that said the 4-1 would disturb the airflow more, and the 4-2 was better for the aerodynamics - keeping it even. And with the 99-00 models having subframe failures with 4-1 systems, due to the exhaust acting as a stress reliever for the subframe, I think 4-2 is better for the street. But hp is better with 4-1. I like the balanced look of 4-2 on the street when keeping the passenger pegs attached. I have D&D 4-2.

A buddy and mine, after a LOT of research, both chose the HMF high mounts. There are, of course, pros and cons...

Pros:
Looks fantastic, I love the way it looks and I've always liked the high mounts.
Mandrel bent x pipe that makes great torque
Dual stepped header pipes. Stepped twice in each pipe for added hp.
Value -> not bad for $900 some odd bucks.

Con:
Won't make the absolute most peak hp, but will be close, and
System weighs a lot for aftermarket. Will still save weight, but not by much. Regardless, I still highly recommend it.

whats so bad about stock? I love my stock system. Sure it's heavy, but it does the job and it's QUIET!

I love having a quiet bike. I was thinking about getting an aftermarket system, but decided on a more aggressive throttle grip instead.

Quiet = less tickets

Mike

I have the Two Bros. cans on mine....deep throaty sound....not much louder than stock at idle and keeps the dual look which I prefer. Also, their cans are chrome which I think look good with the chrome pipes.

01.jpg

whats so bad about stock? I love my stock system. Sure it's
heavy, but it does the job and it's QUIET!
I love having a quiet bike. I was thinking about getting an aftermarket system, but decided on a more aggressive throttle grip instead.

Quiet = less tickets

Mike
You like those stock Cans? The Yoshi slip ons are only a few decibels higher and look a thousand times better. But just my opinion....................
jump9.gif

I ahve a Two Brothers 4-2-1 and I love the sound its just a bit louder than stock but not too loud. I did get a small melt spot on the bottom of one of my fairings but you can not see it. The clamp came off of the wrap they give you and it slid down when I washed it. I put the wrap back on and now its fine. You do have to be very careful. I also had to bend my fan shroud in just a bit so it wouldnt rub on the header. They advertised no need for a Powercommander with there exhaust but I bought one anyway and it made a huge difference in Low end power. I saw an exhaust that came out in the middle by the undertray but couldnt find the guy that made it I want one of those it was sharp looking. Although I do have a 2k blue silver maybe a Micron blue silver can
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

rock.gif

rock.gif

it just so happens im about to have dyno numbers on an hmf highmount vs brock hindle gen 3 sometime today or tomorrow.

I am switching right now to gen 3.

IMHO: 4-2-1 is the way to go.  Titanium won't melt fairing (my akra doesn't get hot enough to).  Also, it is 20 lbs. lighter than stock system...  TWENTY POUNDS!!!  You will need to chop off exhaust hanger from port side if you go 4-2-1 though.  I used my air cutoff tool to do it and it is pretty clean.  Finally, I also replaced rinky-dink plastic chain guard with chrome one because it is ALOT more prevalent without a pipe and can over there.  4-2-1 also adds mid and upper RPM HP.  The Akra sounds fantastic.  I wanted something that was more aggressive sounding and quiet enough to drive home at night.  It is MUCH deeper than stock, but doesn't scream like some exhaust notes.  I recorded before and after sounds and you can check 'em out here: www.virtualinks.com/busa.

Hope I helped, Rip.

Please post those dyno runs....

I am VERY interested in these 2 exhaust sytems myself.

Thanks,

Bill

I klike the Akra sound too. Under 3k RPM it is really mellow (almost stock noise) and you can roll in from the bars really late and not pis off the neighbors. But about 5K the Pipe comes on and gets attention - sometimes too much attention. I live in a small town and the local police have my number. So it is hard to have too much fun near town. I get dirty looks just getting on the freeway on ramp.

Back