Ever take a spin class at the gym?

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I've been making fun of my former boss for years for taking "spin" :sarcasm:

I finally caved to some peer pressure, took one on Saturday thinking "it should be fun...how hard can it be?" :eh:

OMG, within the first 10 minutes, I was wondering if anyone had ever died while in the class, and how was I going to survive another 50 minutes... :please:

Been limping around since that first class; my second one is tonight. What a workout, and I did manage to last the entire hour which is quite amazing given how damn hard it was for this first timer. I'm terrified to go tonight, but I'm committed... :nike:

Anyone else ever take one of these spin classes? How long before you felt like you could do it and not feel like a complete :newbie:

P.S. Riding motorcycles is so much easier :whistle:

I did one with Juli when she was a trainer, yeah I didnt care for that. Would rather run.

i hate running and the idea of sitting in one place on a bicycle while working my rump off and not seeing any scenery just doesn't appeal to me...when i was playing football, we called that rehab and it was only for injured people that couldn't get out and move...hence, this is the reason i get fat every winter :lol: i wish you the best of luck :thumbsup:

i hate running and the idea of sitting in one place on a bicycle while working my rump off and not seeing any scenery just doesn't appeal to me...when i was playing football, we called that rehab and it was only for injured people that couldn't get out and move...hence, this is the reason i get fat every winter :lol: i wish you the best of luck :thumbsup:

That's the thing I didn't know semi, you don't sit in one place...they make you get up off the seat, over and over until you want to die :rofl:

It wasn't anything like I'd expected...I think I like it, but I'll revisit that thought after tonight's second class :laugh:

I did one with Juli when she was a trainer, yeah I didnt care for that. Would rather run.

I'm a treadmill person too, but it gets boring...

Juli was a trainer? Wow, whole new appreciation for those that do that job! :)

I cant run due to my knees. I have spent some time on a bike. I never got too winded, but man did my legs get to burning. eventually it got better. I do a lot of rowing on a c2 rower. Now you want to talk about going from an aerobic workout to an anaerobic workout, jump on one of them for a 2k or 5k row. It will make you huff and puff like you have never huffed and puffed before. I love my rower. It is a very important part of my exercise regimen. A 5k on the rower will take about 22 min and you will burn 300 calories. That is a lot of calories in a very short time. when I do an all out 500m row i can kill off 30-50 calories in about 1 minute and 36 seconds, but this is very taxing on the body.

dont plan on it being easy anytime soon. One tip is not to drink any carbs 30 min before your workout and during the workout. That means no gatorade, just water. After your workout a 12 oz chocolate whole milk is ideal. The carbs and fat will help you recover. Fat is a very important part of your diet if you want to exercise a lot. Carbs will be your worst enemy. If milk does not work, then Atlarge nutrition makes some of the best post workout drinks that money can buy, and they will help you with recovery. I would say it will take 3 to 4 weeks of doing it combined with other exercise before you notice a significant improvement in soreness. Im still usually pretty sore right after I get off of the rower, but within 30 min, all is good.

When I was playing baseball in college (pitcher), our coach made all the pitchers take these spin classes as a way of conditioning (lactic acid in arms from throwing)... That was some of the hardest crap I ever did.

It was a roomful of 18-21 year old boys with a tiny, female coach screaming at us while we looked like fools trying to keep up with her!! :laugh:

The change from extreme resistance, light resistance, standing, sitting, sprinting.... It was a friggin workout! But I always felt great after I left!

I just got into mountain biking and road 14 miles last Saturday, made me feel awesome :thumbsup:

I cant run due to my knees. I have spent some time on a bike. I never got too winded, but man did my legs get to burning. eventually it got better. I do a lot of rowing on a c2 rower. Now you want to talk about going from an aerobic workout to an anaerobic workout, jump on one of them for a 2k or 5k row. It will make you huff and puff like you have never huffed and puffed before. I love my rower. It is a very important part of my exercise regimen. A 5k on the rower will take about 22 min and you will burn 300 calories. That is a lot of calories in a very short time. when I do an all out 500m row i can kill off 30-50 calories in about 1 minute and 36 seconds, but this is very taxing on the body.

dont plan on it being easy anytime soon. One tip is not to drink any carbs 30 min before your workout and during the workout. That means no gatorade, just water. After your workout a 12 oz chocolate whole milk is ideal. The carbs and fat will help you recover. Fat is a very important part of your diet if you want to exercise a lot. Carbs will be your worst enemy. If milk does not work, then Atlarge nutrition makes some of the best post workout drinks that money can buy, and they will help you with recovery. I would say it will take 3 to 4 weeks of doing it combined with other exercise before you notice a significant improvement in soreness. Im still usually pretty sore right after I get off of the rower, but within 30 min, all is good.

I'm strictly a water drinker 24/7 anyway; I think I'm the only person on the planet that hates Gatorade and the like :laugh: I can down a glass of milk, but not a chocolate milk fan :laugh:

The gym offers this class in the evenings only 2 days/week right now, and the Saturday class was a one-time thing...rest of the classes are at 9 a.m. when I'm at work, so if I can get myself used to it, I may have to head to another branch and see about joining another spin group. I'd love to get to where I'm doing this 3/4x week :please:

I've never been so nervous to go to a class as I am tonight...just hope the soreness isn't as bad so I can make Thursday's class.

I've never tried rowing; that is a calorie burner! Good grief...both of my boys were told by their doctor that they should take up crew on day. They can both hyper extend, well every joint they have, but they'd get the extra distance in rowing if they did it. I should give it a try sometime...let me conquer spin first :laugh:

When I was playing baseball in college (pitcher), our coach made all the pitchers take these spin classes as a way of conditioning (lactic acid in arms from throwing)... That was some of the hardest crap I ever did.

It was a roomful of 18-21 year old boys with a tiny, female coach screaming at us while we looked like fools trying to keep up with her!! :laugh:

The change from extreme resistance, light resistance, standing, sitting, sprinting.... It was a friggin workout! But I always felt great after I left!

I just got into mountain biking and road 14 miles last Saturday, made me feel awesome :thumbsup:

Yeah, see I haven't ridden a bike or even owned one since I was a young teenager...this was a shock to my system! But, I did it...I wasn't able to keep up with all of the standing and climbs at full resistance, but I lasted the full hour and "rode" 18 miles...curious to see how much better I can improve tonight, or will I sit on that seat and cry? :cry: :rofl:

Also if it has been a great deal of time since you have had intense exercise, then you should take it easy for a while. Your tendons and ligaments will need time to strenthen and adjust. dont just go out and get crazy, or you will be looking at an injury that will only set you back time and money. If I were you, I would also take up some lifting. Squat, deadlift and bench press will help you tremendously. dont be afraid of the weights. the effects of weights on women is completely different. You will not be getting ripped unless that is your goal, however it will strengthen your legs, arms and back.

Air squats, wall balls, pull ups, pushups, and burpees are all great exercises that can be done almost anywhere. You can do just a few of one or 2 of them multiple times per day and gain a lot of strenth in a short period of time. ie, say 5 pushups 5 times per day for a week. when you feel you can do another without making you tired at all then you add one set. when you get to 5 reps 8 times per day you add one rep and drop back down to 5 sets, thus ratcheting up the difficulty. These should be done with virtually no effect on you physically. if you are tired in doing the set then use less reps. this is a volume workout covered through out the day, so one set when you get up, another every few hours or when it is convenient till you have completed your number of sets.

This is a great way to quickly (literally seconds) throw in a little exercise through out the day that will definately make you more fit (stronger). I started with 1 pullup per set and am up to 8 now. my goal is 25. One day I will be able to do the burpee challenge...100 burpees in 5 minutes. I am currently half way.

i hate running and the idea of sitting in one place on a bicycle while working my rump off and not seeing any scenery just doesn't appeal to me... :thumbsup:

Plenty scenery, you just have to pick the right spinning bike towards the back of the class with a nice view.

Plenty scenery, you just have to pick the right spinning bike towards the back of the class with a nice view.

Jeez, men :laugh:

Unfortunately, there was only one guy in my class, and he's a pastor, so yeah, I can't exactly oggle him and feel good about it :rofl:

He's married :laugh:

Well, I survived...the first 30 minutes are killer, then the last 20 I feel like I'm able to make it :) Two classes behind me...whew!

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

congrats, we're proud of you (and super glad you are far enough away that you can't drag us with you!) :lol:

Back