EV vehicles

There are a ton of EV's all over the roads here where I live. Have a few friends with EV's also, they seem to use a 2nd car for long distance travel though. Latest is a neigbor, who has just purchased a brand new Tesla, put solar on his roof, with batteries. He boasts that he no longer pays for gas and wakes up with a full tank every morning.

I did not say anything, but I got quotes and the cost to do the same. At my electricity rates, the payback is around 25 years, and I don't invest in anything with such a poor rate of return on investment.
That's a good idea !

I'm waiting for the day when one solar cell can produce 10 VDC each at load. With 60 cells in one panel that 600 volts at 7 amps that's 4200 watts per panel.

I hear you there.....if the wife and I are going somewhere and she asks to take her SUV, I know it's out of fuel and she's wanting me to fill it up.....
Sounds like my EX wife. EX emphasized.

I used to think, how the heck does she never run out of gas! I mean I would get in her car and thought the guage had to be broken. Needle never moved at all. I was like how the eff did she make it home etc and never run out of gas!

Last edited:
Sounds like my EX wife. EX emphasized.

I used to think, how the heck does she never run out of gas! I mean I would get in her car and thought the house had to be broken. Needle never moved at all. I was like how the eff did she make it home etc and never run out of gas!
I give mine a break as she had to be mom and dad all the times I was deployed somewhere....now it's payback.

Oddly enough now that we have her new SUV, I generally take it and fill it up early Saturday morning while she sleeps in.....and then wash it if it needs it......it's kind of fun to drive....

I give mine a break as she had to be mom and dad all the times I was deployed somewhere....now it's payback.

Oddly enough now that we have her new SUV, I generally take it and fill it up early Saturday morning while she sleeps in.....and then wash it if it needs it......it's kind of fun to drive....
Doing favors is absolutely great. I do the same. But not as their lifestyle choice. Lol

When it turns into, Honey why haven't you filled my tank?, is time for my exit strategy.

And the layoffs begin.

@3:10 in the video it's stated that EVs is a part of the reason.

I personally think it's also due to cars becoming unreachable to buy for more and more.

I personally agree with you lol. The Great Recession/GFC was the wake up call, the "last Drinks" call. Everyone is maxed out on debt and incapacitated by the interest rate rises now, it won't be long before the Big Reset. Years ago when a company wanted to sack you they'd call you into the office and give you two weeks notice. Then it was a call into the office on Monday, goodbye Friday. Then it became a "You're fired you can empty your desk now" thing. So now it's a Mandatory Don't come to the office and you're fired over the internet in a chat session.

STELL LOGO.jpg

Our employees are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment.
We firmly believe that employees should feel valued and respected.

Until we want to sack them, then they are just so much garbage to be tossed in the trash.

At the expense of going down a rabbit hole I see this an inevitable as the oil supplies dwindle and what's remaining becomes more expensive. The world doesn't need 90% of the population in middle management, retail sales, lawers offices, dog washing franchises and all else. At the end of the day we need food and a few material things to keep us warm and out of the rain. The past 100 years has been an interesting experiment as we burned our way through the excess carbon reserves on the Planet, but now it's ending, and now we have to transition back to a more agrarian low energy world. I'm glad I'm old, I really am.

It was never gonna happen, it was all just science fiction.

space st.jpg

-00er.jpg

I personally agree with you lol. The Great Recession/GFC was the wake up call, the "last Drinks" call. Everyone is maxed out on debt and incapacitated by the interest rate rises now, it won't be long before the Big Reset.
The average car payment in the U.S. is $750.

That take's into account the crappy chytboxes that aren't going to last the life of the loan.

They finance cars to people buying cars that are worth more than the Mobile homes they live in.

Stellantis has been dumping all their ICE vehicles out to dealerships.....especially the ones they are discontinuing as you can't order them any longer

Our local dealership is chocked full of classic model Rams with V-6s that nobody wants....if anyone is buying a Ram they want the Hemi....

That being said I was often wondering why the local dealership was so persistent in getting my '16 Ram when they had so many on the lot until I found out most of them are V-6s.

I also read the new "Hurricane" in line six twin hairdryer engine although makes more power, only gets 1 mpg better than the hemi...I thought the whole premise was to get these things having better fuel economy and not more power....

Stellantis has been dumping all their ICE vehicles out to dealerships.....especially the ones they are discontinuing as you can't order them any longer

Our local dealership is chocked full of classic model Rams with V-6s that nobody wants....if anyone is buying a Ram they want the Hemi....

That being said I was often wondering why the local dealership was so persistent in getting my '16 Ram when they had so many on the lot until I found out most of them are V-6s.

I also read the new "Hurricane" in line six twin hairdryer engine although makes more power, only gets 1 mpg better than the hemi...I thought the whole premise was to get these things having better fuel economy and not more power....
I saw a Hennessy Ram here yesterday. 1000 HP. Right next to me in traffic. Just as docile as the rest of us there. Had I not seen the Hennessy badging, it would have just looked like a blacked out Ram.

Didn't get to see the interior.

The Hennessy version is this on steroids!

Retail Price: $156,950.00
A TRX here is $140k already...I can only imagine what that thing is worth here.....probably why I've never seen one.

A month.

They finance cars for up to 8 years now.

lol. My son saved up 10k in one year to buy his dream car. In the meanwhile he drove a dunger (a crappy older car)
To borrow for a car, any car, just seems dumb to me. You are basically living beyond your means. Oh I get the whole "by the time I saved up the car would have gone up $XX" line, but that doesn't justify going into debt for 8 years. Even if the interest rate was low, you have still given up your financial freedom just to get from A to B in a nicer car.

Buying cars beyond your means was never popular here in Oz but after the 2000 drop in interest rates many took out loans against their houses to fund them. It became a habit! Now they are struggling to repay the mortgages in many cases. Cars, boats, holidays and motorcycles, all on home equity loans. I might be old fashioned but I have lots of money and no debt.

Let the economy crash, I doubt it will effect me unduly. I was shopping today and couldn't believe the cost of things. In a year, just a year olive oil has gone up 100%. many other things too once you factor in shrink-flation. I really don't know how the poorer in my community are making it. I spoke to one neighbor in the isle about the $20 bottles of olive oil and she said had run out but couldn't afford one. Soon it will be bread and dripping, dripping being the fat collected off grilled meat. There are a lot of wealthy people in Oz but 20% or so are on pensions, low fixed incomes. Electric cars for all? In your dreams.

Back