Engine Pinging

Vetteman761

Registered
So Need you guys Expertise, I just got done rebuilding my gen1 motor , bored out to 1397 have also a gen 2 crank in it, 13.5.1 pistons, have a 80 thousands base plate in and also a .030 head gasket, thinking I should be right at 13 to 1 ratio, anyhoo started it other day for first time seemed fine, actually rode it today and taking off smoothly no pinging but I got on it a lil bit a few times and heard the pinging, had about gallon or so of 87 in it from when I last rode it , filled it up with 93 on top of that, so I dont know, anybody else with close to my numbers had that problem and if so what is the answer? I sanded off edges of pistons to reduce chances of hotspots but maybe I didnt do enough? any suggestions would be appreciated

Take a few degrees out of the ignition map if you have Acess to an ecu flash set up. Longer strokes generally require less ignition. But also imo you’ve surpassed the limit of pump gas with a 13.5CR.
Got ya, I will have to look into that, I was thinking I was under the 13.5 with the thicker head gasket , if i have surpassed the limit will those gas additives help? I heard if your lucky they might give 3 or so more octane , colder plug also If all else fails meaning after the altered ignition map

IMO octane boosters are snake oil. Specially torco... yes. I said it.

I don’t know where you’re located but overall the weather is getting cooler across the country. So figure if it’s knocking at cooler temps it will be pretty out of control with heat and load.

Also it could simply be knocking because it’s too lean. If you’ve done nothing tune was since going with more displacement and compression, you likely just don’t have enough fuel going to the engine.

IMO octane boosters are snake oil. Specially torco... yes. I said it.

I don’t know where you’re located but overall the weather is getting cooler across the country. So figure if it’s knocking at cooler temps it will be pretty out of control with heat and load.

Also it could simply be knocking because it’s too lean. If you’ve done nothing tune was since going with more displacement and compression, you likely just don’t have enough fuel going to the engine.
Have taken in all you have said and gave Ryan at Schnitz racing a call and he said he can dynotune it( have to get A pc5) to fix the fuel issues, then flash the ecu and alter it for the timing , so he seems pretty confident he can take care of it and also run on pump gas

Have taken in all you have said and gave Ryan at Schnitz racing a call and he said he can dynotune it( have to get A pc5) to fix the fuel issues, then flash the ecu and alter it for the timing , so he seems pretty confident he can take care of it and also run on pump gas
Ryan should be able to get it handled for you. Post up the results. What cams and timing did you set them at?

Well just got back from Schnitz, what a great dude Ryan is , got most things ironed out, having some trouble with a injector and timing issues which i will fix when i get my new cams at some point and can degree them, he said hp number is a bit off because of my probs but , not to bad considering no head work and stock cams
90B66A51-C844-4C86-9D81-DA43F10F907C.jpeg

Back