Engine cutting out at full throttle

jimg

Registered
Hi all,

This weekend, I entered in a flying quarter mile on my 2000 busa.
The first run was, fine, bike performing as expected but then the
problems started.

I leave the starting line, run it thu the revs and either at the
top of the rev range in 4th or above the bike suddenly cuts out
like its run out of fuel or I've hit the kill switch. Then after a few
seconds it kicks back in again.

This is the first time in 65000 ks I've had any problem from the engine. I checked for kinked fuel lines but they all looked fine.

Do you think it could be a fuel filter problem?
Has anybody else had this happen?

Cheers Jim

Well the problem turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

In fact it got so clogged that the fuel pump actually blew the
filter apart.

Jim

Recently while I was riding home, traveling at approx 90 mph. the engine would stop, the tachometer would drop to zero and the engine would slow the bike.  The lights would stay on and I did not notice any dimming of any of the lighting.  Then in an instant the bike would start up again.  This occurred approximately 5 to 6 times through out a 30 mile ride.  The f1 light did not come on.  

A few weeks ago, on the way to work as I was approaching a red signal the bike died and the f1 light came on.  

I noticed the bike stalled a few times when I first was warming up the bike but I just attributed it to being cold.

I also think it may be a fuel problem

My Busa's doing exactly the same thing. Already checked fuel pump and flow. There's no problem there. Advice I received from a reputable mechanic suggested problems at the primary side of the ignition, possibly the cranksaft position sensor. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hey Guys,

This probably isn't what's causing your problem but I was reading the October Fast Bikes mag and they
had an article in there about a few people who kept having their CBR1000's cut out at a certain rev range.

It turned out that they had fitted after market alarms and at a certain rev range it was vibrating the relay in the
alarm that cut out the fuel injection. As the bike slowed the vibration lessened and the relay kicked back
in again.

Just might be something to check if you have an alarm fitted recently and the problem didn't exist before then

Jim.

I had all of those symptoms. After hours of searching the fuel system, I found that the filter screen in the fuel pump cradle was almost clogged. Apparently the filter is so fine that it traps a lot of the processing materials they use when making gas. It should be done at least every two years.
Hope this helps

Jim - I have a 2000 Busa also. Mine did the same thing. My problem was that there is a paper filter in the fuel pump. This filter comes apart about every 40,000 miles. I had it happen 2 times on me. At 40,000 and 70,000. The shop had to replace it both times. The bike would just die at full throttle like it wasn't getting any gas. It wasn't the filter completely exploded and was clogging the fuel pump.

Back