Electrical add-ons simplified

(DNGrumpy @ Dec. 31 2006,10:10) I need to do this... I tapped the pigtail up front by the right blinker for the power for my GPS and have my COM hooked to the battery, I bought the right parts months ago and have just been lazy...
I thought about that, and after installing HID decided I don't want anything else hooked up there getting in the way of taking the nose off and most of all, putting it back on!
crazy.gif

Not my favorite thing.

This is an easy project, if you have everything you need it is a two hour install.

to answer a couple of questions... for now the Sirius radio IS in it's final place....here is a pic of my view when riding.... I really do ride pretty slow unless i am hard on it...and then I am watching the tach, not the speedo... lol

But the highway speeds are where most tickets are common in my area...so I can see right where that speed range is, no problem.
CIMG0245.jpg

as for trunk space no I didn't loose anything at all worth mentioning.
here are some more of the trunk area with the toolkit owner's book and paperwork in there...I still have room for a disc lock, sun glasses, and spare gloves...etc.
I used to have the power commander mounted where the tool kit was... but now it's off to the opposite side from the fuse block ....and the speed-o-healer is out under the left rear panel ....in a safer place.

it's a little hard to judge the depth available due to all of the black in the pics.

CIMG0242.jpg

CIMG0243.jpg

CIMG0244.jpg

and in case you don't recognize it...that a tiger racing dash plate offered by schnitz.

http://secure.mycart.net/product_images/catalog2486/TSP13.jpg

Ah, you DID recess the cig lighter adapter- good idea, gets it out of the compartment.

Nice job!
smile.gif

Oh, and where DID you get the little taggie things- looks like they wire-tie in place?

shoot me an address....I have thousands of them.

I'll get an envelope out to you.

we call them "flag tags"

you just need to supply the PTouch or Sharpie.

(BusaCruise @ Jan. 01 2007,15:34) shoot me an address....I have thousands of them.

I'll get an envelope out to you.

we call them "flag tags"

you just need to supply the PTouch or Sharpie.
beerchug.gif
Cruise... I've been thinkin about this mod too and just want to thank you cause you perked my interest enough that now I'm doing mine too. My battery looks like a rats nest with all the wires for GPS, speedo healer, backoff lites, etc, etc, etc. This will solve the problem. Now all I have to find is those tags and I'm off and runnin!!! THANKS!
beerchug.gif
laugh.gif

beerchug.gif

I'd like to see what you're doing but pic will not open on my computer. I'm oly getting red x's.

Yeah none of the pics are showing up. I am going to do this mod soon too. Basically I need to get a Painless (company) Fuse Block. They have several different sizes. I think I am going to go with a 7 circuit type. This in combo with the aux harness plug from smithabusa will easily allow for a switched terminal block. From that you can hook up a plethora of different items, instead of having a million wires running back to the battery. Hopefully someone will fix or repost the pics before I get started.

beerchug.gif

Definately a good idea. Being able to everything away from the battery will be a lot less cluttered.

I have already added wiring to my battery for my Widder electric vest, and now that I bought a TomTom GPS unit of course I need a way to plug an adapter into the bike for power. The GPS has up to two hours on battery, but for longer trips obviously that won't do. I remember seeing someone on the board do this already, so I went to my local O'Reilly Automotive and found a six-fuse block for about ten bucks. Uses standard blade-type ATC fuses in any amperage.

As you can see in the next picture, I used 10 gauge wire to run power from the positive post of the battery to the post on the bottom of the fuse block. On the left in the picture is a 1/4" bolt I ran 10 gauge wire to the negative post of the battery to use for ground connections.

Next picture shows it all buttoned up, ready for any new mods that require power- radar detector, grip heaters, etc.

Not difficult at all to do, and keeps my anal soul all warm and fuzzy not having wires stacked up on the battery and running all over getting in the way.
smile.gif

Highly recommended for anyone adding mods that require electrical power from the bike. I am no expert by any means, so any comments or suggestions are welcome.

<!--EDIT|Shibumi|1167530576-->
For some reason the links got fried, and it won't let me edit it- so I'll just post the relevant pics.

Fuse2.JPG

Back