dyno reading

copskahn

Registered
I wonder if anyone has run into this before, I recently had my bike tuned on the dyno at a local shop. my question is this, on the graph where it shows your hp and tq the line is not smooth after about 7000 rpm, it looks more like a polygraph machine when you are telling a lie, spikes up and down. is this normal or is something wrong with this dyno,, all the graphs I see here have a smooth line, making them easy to read.

spikes dips bumps and other wise come from usually one of two places..

1) the bike not being secured to the dyno properly and the results of wheel spin, surge against the drum, etc. a poorly connected lead can also cause some serious havoc on trying to get readings...

2) the tune/ engine: fueling or spark...being two common ones when the bike was just tuned... certain mechanical issues can also cause funky dyno readings, such as valve float, or injectors going static and starting to misfire...

which you can point your finger at depends on many factors, conditions, the dyno operator, etc... also look at if any smoothing was done to the dyno graph... as some squigglness is normal, "seismic activity" looking graphs are not so much....

It also depends on the smoothing factor which should be displayed on the graph as well... ;)

Back