DVR for DIRECTTV: rent their or buy my own?

O

outtahand

I'm considering signing up for DIRECTTV. Anybody know what the options are if I chose to buy my own DVR?

I've never subscribed to satellite tv before, so I don't know how they have things set up, what would be nice hardware options to have and best of all a good deal on a dvr. Also, I'm curious about any features that would enable me to edit and or back up movies using my XP box.

Mr. Biscuit? You other computer guys, any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

from my experience, if you are going to subscribe for a while (years) evaluate cost to rent vs own. Also, for DVRs there are a lot of "tweaks" you can apply to them these days, dont know that you want to do anything with a rented box. Also make sure you get the fine print on the rentals, do they cover issues with the boxes (electrical, failures, etc) and what are their turn around times? When I bit the bullet, I purchased at a Best Buy, got a great deal with free install and a hellish good deal on service for 6months. Of course promos vary but I'd look that way pretty hard. Plus if you do move (sounds like you wont for a while on other posts ;) ) they will move your dish free :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm looking for info on buying a dvr - the recorder - with directtv as the provider. I usually buy hardware mail order from newegg, cyberguys, where ever is cheapest, after I research models and features
Posted via Mobile Device

well like I said, check with places like best buy or fry's since you are in cali. Most of those places offer some type of deal when you activate new service, plus if you wanted to cover it with their plans, they usually replace things very quickly. Lots of options out there, but sticking with DTV will limit them. If you are into Netflix and have broadband at home, the Tivo series 3, HD and HD XL models are going to have the ability to stream movies from the web too :cool:
Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases

good luck with your search :beerchug:

It was my understanding that even if you "buy" a direcTV DVR, say at best buy or similar you are still leasing it. If you cancel your service before the end of two years you still have to return it.

Thats what DriecTV told me about my HD-DVR. I hope I was told wrong.

The last I checked your either have to go with a satellite / cable company DVR system OR you have to build you own.

The other option was TiVo, but again you have a monthly charge.

I have both a direct TV DVR and I have my own DVR I built

The directive DVR is one someone gave me that had a bad hard drive. I put in a new hard drive that had twice the storage capacity and called Direct tv and had it activated.

The ony I built is running Windows Vista Multimedia center. I have an HD video card that plugs into my HD tv. I am using windows media center for recording the shows.

The down side is while I have HD to my TV, my satellite feed INTO my computer is only S-video. I haven't found a HD tuner card yet.

So for that reason if you want to DVR HD you are probably better off sticking with the Satellites DVR system

Hope this helps

Hi Ron, that helps immensely. I could find a used directtv dvr on ebay maybe. I hadn't thought about building my own. Are you familiar with Shuttle boxes? I have a Shuttle X. That thing has tv out, spdif out, 3 firewire, plus all the usual i/o. I don't have hd tv, so I'm not concerned about that. What would I need- a tuner card, a dvr, how is s-video handled? This is the box that all my video editing sw like Maya is running on could I use some part of xp to handle the directtv concurrent with my daily computer stuff? Does it have to be a standalone system? Ideally I'd like to end up with a multimedia server accessed by all machines in the house.
For now I'd like a dvr and storage system that will lead in that direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love my Directv set up but HATE the fact that although you buy your own receiver/DVR, it's still considered leasing and you still have to pay the monthly service fee.

so you wanna build one? I thought you were lookin to buy, sorry bout that....

I worked for a company 8yrs ago that was making HDTV PCI tuner cards. The thing was amazing and would tune with almost no signal. Turns out that Intel bought the company after I left but .... if you are really looking to build your own, there are plenty of options.

Check out this site Welcome to Digital Connection -Home Theater and Multimedia PC Convergence Products

They have all types of things, including all the pieces parts you would need to build your own HTPC. The prices are pretty good, the support was great when we used them for selling our product but you can also spin the magic 8 ball and google for better deals :laugh:

And Ron, they have several HD Tuners you can use :beerchug: There are also free tv guides out there you can link into for scheduled recordings :beerchug:

If you can find a HiDef DVR that you can PURCHASE under $1000 please PM me, cuz I can't find nuttin

Our Dirct TV HDDVR just died at 14 months, its a rental from them. they had a new one at the house on the 3rd day after the failure, charged us like $49 but are gonaa give us $10 credit for 6 months to cover it. 40 something hours of saved stuff gone!!! Back up to DVD or a plug in SATA drive for stuff you really want to keep.

Back