Dunlop Qualifers

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
I've read on here that the Dunlop Qualifers come with some yellow paint marks that are supposed to be lined up with the valve stem when mounted, is this correct and if so why? Just had mine mounted at Cycle Gear and the paint marks are nowhere near the valve stem. Also is it standard procedure to replace valve stems when mounting a tire?

Most all tires have this mark. It's only advantage is to lower the amount of wheel weights need to balance. If they didn't need to put on more than one or two, your good to go.

i was thinking that the yellow mark goes oppisite of the stem 4 weights is an ounce right?

you should always do the stem when ya change em out to

Hey Rob, wish I coulda gone with you guys today, been years since I've been to Sly Park, just not a good weekend for me, havn't even got both tires mounted yet and yes they are 1/4 oz. weights, I just don't like them mounted where they are, I'm probably just being way too anal again but I think they look like crap next to the spoke instead of center of the rim.

I too just purchased my 2nd set of qualifiers w/ the 2nd set coming from cycle gears recent sale on'em and...

Yes...your tire is mounted correctly..Dunlop uses a "Yellow" paint mark which indicates the lightest point of the tire which should in fact be lined up with the valve stem...whereby other tire manufacturers use a "RED" painy mark which indicates the heaviest point of the tire and is mounted 180degs (directly across/opposite side) from the valve stem...if memory serves?...i seem to recall metzeler/perelli using "RED" paint marks but dunlop does in fact use yellow...also?....replacing the valve stems w/ every new tire is "good policy"..for both company & customer...$2.99 to make certain that your valve stem rubber is a fresh as your tires is a small price to pay to ensure reliability...as you can plug and fix a flat tire roadside but if you got a dry-rot cracked leaking valve stem?...you're screwed.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Here's an ex-technicians .02:

You NEVER mount a tire with the balance dots out of alignment with the valve stem. As a shop A-Tech, I had other techs re-mount tires when they did not pay attention to the balance dots.

Manufacturers mark the spots where there are lighter segments in the tire. This removes the chance of having excessive counterweighting/bobweighting. It also allows a "seasoned" tech to rapidly balance a wheel. You can safely bet that 180 degrees from the valve/dot will be the most likely spot for a few grams.

It is acceptable to mount a tire with the balance dot out of position IF the tech has used an inordiante amount of weight to bring the wheel into balance, or there is a need for over an ounce in one particular spot. If it is necessary to re-align the balance dot, the tech, service advisor, or CSR should note it on the receipt, and a new mark should be indicated by using a tire crayon.

Most of the time, if a tire on a known good wheel needed more than 2 ounces, we would return the tire to the manufacturer. Safety and quality first, and foremost.

I have seen where improperly mounted tires needed an amazing amount of weight to bring them into balance. After remounting, they needed a nominal amount of weight. I have also found that the better the tire, especially the premium tires, the less balance work needed. The worst I have seen was a set of Kenda tires. I mounted a set by hand. That's right, NO TIRE SPOONS. That's a scary thought. How secure could those beads have been?

Static balancing has always worked well, and always will. BUT...Dynamic balancing, when done right kicks butt. The only down side is that dynamic balancing more or less "tunes" your wheel to the R.P.Ms of the balancing machine.

One final note, use the SHORTEST valve stem that you can find, and easily use. Longer stems will actually stretch (yes, it's true) just a bit at warp speed. That won't cause you to lose air, but for you anal-retentive types, it will affect your dynamic balance. Don't worry, it won't hurt your handling, it's just a piece of tech info. that I wanted to pass along. Stay away from valve angle adaptors, valve extensions, and PLEASE, don't put those damned "Tire Flys" on your valves.

Oh, and PLEASE tell the shop if you used Slime. Also let them know if for some reason you felt compelled to use Fix-A-Flat. That stuff is dangerous if it is vented into an environment where sparks, or other sources of combustion are common.

SO...If it were my tire, I'd smack the kid that installed it across the knuckles with a ruler, and show him or her the light.

I'm getting way too much info & opinions now, only gonna cause more worry.  Took the wheel back today to have it redone so the weights were not on the outside of a spoke.  First he aligned the little yellow paint mark up with the valve stem and the machine read 2.75 (ounces I'm assuming) he said that's probably why the other fella did it the way he did, he realigned the tire several times and ended up with .75 oz wheght in the center of the rim.  When I got the wheel to the truck I did notice that he pulled up or scratched off a nice big chunk of paint from where he removed the other weights, of course he didn't say anything, guess he thought I wouldn't notice.
clap.gif

I bought the tools, balancers and spoons to install tires and have done two bikes worth so far, with some additional practice.

I static balance to find the heavy spot on the naked wheel (prior to mounting the rubber) and make a paint pen dot there and situate the light spot dot on the tire with my dot.

Last two tires required next to no balancing weights with that system and the heaviest part of the wheel WAS NOT at the valve stem - so dont freak out if the dot on the rubber is not inline with the valve stem.

In essence to answer the original question the dot on the tire is the lightest part of the tire and is used as a reference point when balancing.

None of the three busa rims I have are heavy at the valve stem when checking balance without a tire.
You would want to be checking your rim for runout and true, not balance. A rim's balance is not a factor. A wheel's balance is a major factor. By wheel, I mean the assembly consisting of rim assy, tire, valve, and other ancillaries, such as sprockets, rotors, etc. Anything that makes up the rotating mass of the entire wheel as a unit.

I have encountered exceptions, such as dynamic match-balancing. This is generally reserved for autos, where all four wheels are of equal size, and mass.

I'm getting way too much info & opinions now, only gonna cause more worry.  Took the wheel back today to have it redone so the weights were not on the outside of a spoke.  First he aligned the little yellow paint mark up with the valve stem and the machine read 2.75 (ounces I'm assuming) he said that's probably why the other fella did it the way he did, he realigned the tire several times and ended up with .75 oz wheght in the center of the rim.  When I got the wheel to the truck I did notice that he pulled up or scratched off a nice big chunk of paint from where he removed the other weights, of course he didn't say anything, guess he thought I wouldn't notice.
clap.gif
I'm glad you got your wheel re-checked. If not for anything other than safety's sake.

They could have saved you a LOT of aggravation by explaining to you why the balance dot was off when you picked your wheel up the FIRST time. It really irks me when something as important as that gets overlooked. It also drives me crazy when an expensive wheel/tire combo gets handed to a "shop rat" to get mounted and balanced. IMHO, wheels and tires should never be considered an unimportant piece of drudgery allocated to the least skilled, or inexperienced mechanic.

I am so sorry to hear that the finish was damaged when they remounted/balanced your wheel. I've seen it too many times, and it's been done to me as well. Just a suggestion: Show them the wheel, and give them the option to repair it, or you can get quotes to get it repaired, and they can pay for it. If the shop that did the work is reputable, they will accommodate you. It's only fair that you get your property back in the condition you gave it to them in.

BTW: 3/4 oz. is a nice comfy number for balancing, especially when it's centered on the rim.

Back