Dumped it this morning.

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Got ready for the annual Toy Ride. Mounted up and took off up the street.

Wait, wait, wait, wait. There's more to it than THAT!

About a week ago, a buddy gave me one of those gremlin bells. I've never had one in the 4+ years I've ridden the Busa and never had a mishap of any serious merit, knock on wood. NEARLY dropped it in a parking lot a coupla three times over the years but saved it each time. Had the usual series of close calls from time to time that we all have. Anyway, this morning, I tied that bastid bell to the left side of the bike where the former stock muffler strap bolts up.

Warmed up the bike, geared up, waited (forever and ever and ever and . . . ) for my wife to finish gearing up and mount up. When she was (finally) ready, I led off as I usually do. Started to tip the bike in for the left turn at the end of my street, no more than five houses away. I was only going about 5 mph, 7 tops. I had just enough time to think, "Dang my steering feels really sluggish. Does my front tire need air?"

The aforementioned tire was mostly likely already sliding by then. Probably just cold tire and cold asphalt. Plus, there are these concrete waterways going through the intersection. Maybe a few rocks or sand or something. Next thing you know, I'm on the ground, slightly dazed. Dammit.

Picked myself up, picked up the bike, swore at nothing in particular, then lit up and took off again, headed for the toy run. No further mishaps for me the rest of the day.

I have to say, frame sliders and a Woodcraft stator cover with it's accompanying skid plate more than paid for themselves today. They're both rashed up good but there is only a very slight scratch in the left fairing and another in the left side of the tail cowling and that's it.

My leathers, of course, kept me completely undamaged. In fact, the leathers have so little damage, I can't really even take a picture 'cause it doesn't show on the camera. But it's there and better there than on my knee, my elbow and my midsection.

The only thing is, my elbow must have hyperextended somehow. I'm thinking that the leather from the jacket was thick enough that when I went down, my elbow closed up on it and it bruised the forearm muscle and bicep very slightly. My knee is unaffected at all.

My helmet visor is scraped up so I'm damn glad I had it on. Of course, I always have it on.

Folks, I was less than 300 feet from my house when I went down. I might not have been going fast, but believe me, the gear saved me some significant pain and agony. USE your gear, everyone!

The gear and the bike's equipment saved me a BUNCH of money (and I didn't even have to switch to Geico! :laugh: ) and pain and suffering. It has suddenly MORE than paid for itself. Little did I know four years ago as I shelled out some serious money for all of it that it was going to pay such huge dividends this far down the road.

I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow.

--Wag--

Lou...I'm so relieved to hear that you're o.k.

When I saw the post, my heart just stopped.

Let us all know if there is anything you need and of course, whatever I can personally affect, you know I'm all about it.

:beerchug: for the message.

*whew*

PS: I'd remove the 'bell'.

Yes, glad your alright, its a great thing you had your leathers on, smart man. Also glad you were only going at a low speed it could've been alot worse. Take care.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention. When I got to the restaurant for breakfast, I took the bell off, tossed it to my buddy and said, "Here, you can have this thing back."

Ultimately, it was tossed in the trash can somewhere. :D

--Wag--

Glad to hear your OK.:thumbsup:
Yeah, I'd take that dam bell off. Buddie gave me one, only one I ever had. Had the worst wreck of my life on the bike with that bell on it. I think they only work on Harleys.:hmmm:

I almost went down a month ago because of low air in my front tire...scarey stuff. Gladyou and your motorized bicycle are a.o.k.!:beerchug:

So glad to hear you are doing well! You did not mention if your wife's heart skipped a few beats of not? ???

VERY GLAD to hear you threw that bell away! I have heard they are actually kind of a reverse/bad luck thing.

This should REALLY give you something to WRITE/BLOG about. :poke: hee hee That is when you are feeling a little better of course. :) :)

Hate to hear what happened but on the flip side, it's great to know you were wearing gear and came through unharmed. Glad to hear the frame sliders saved you from major plastic damage.

First photo. Frame slider damage. Easily replaced, of course. You can barely see the scratch on the fairing. When I caress the poor baby with my fingers, the scratch is almost unnoticeable. I'm thinking it'll buff right out.

dsc01381.sized.jpg

Skid plate on the stator cover. If you haven't gotten a Woodcraft Stator cover, I highly recommend it. Too easy to put one on to not do it. It just paid for itself, I assure you!

dsc01382.sized.jpg

The whole side. Having that extra equipment (frame slider and Woodcraft stator cover) made it possible to just pick the bike up and keep on going.

dsc01383.sized.jpg

I'm wondering what my neighbors thought! :D

Here's the helmet visor. Again, better the helmet than my face. Dang. I shudder to think. Not to mention, this isn't all that bad either.

dsc01385.sized.jpg

Yeah, it could have been a LOT worse. If it had waited until I was on the road doing a turn at 100mph, the outcome could have been a lot different, as we all know.

Cheers!

--Wag--

Sorry to hear you learned about bells the hard way. Glad yours didn't rung to badly.

I was going to offer to melt down the offending bell before someone else got hurt on it. Good riddance bad bell!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad things turned out as well as they did... thinking about your sliders and woodcraft..

"you can pay us now or you can pay us later" :)

Back