Dripping fuel

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Decided to change the oil and pulled off the right fairing. Then I notice one the two tubes is steady dripping. It smells like fuel. I never noticed this before, probably because my fairing is on.

It is parked in the sun, I burped the tank but didn't need it.

Seems like I remember a post a while back ago about someone having a similar problem and it ate into their fairing.

Is it fuel?
And more importantly...is it NORMAL???

One side note is I filled up about midweek and really rode nowhere but to work and back and went for a ride yesterday and it seemed like fuel gauge was way low and dropping faster than normal.

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154282185 -->

It sounds to me like the heat is causing the gas to expand and run out of the over flow. Unless it is excessive I would say it is normal. When I have come home from a ride the garage has smelled strong of gas and there was a small spot in the floor under my bike from the gas expanding from the heat of the bike.

I have to kinda think that's all it was.

I did just start to look for leaks and was sitting out in the miday sun.

I burped the tank and a cloud cover came over it stopped very shortly after that.

It is normal to drip when hot, but enough to make your fuel gauage drop.

It is normal to drip when hot, but enough to make your fuel gauage drop.
That was just kind of a mental "hmmm" more than a definate fuel consumption problem. I did reset the tripometer this fill up for a little more accurate miles per tank than just my gut.
So I guess I'll see...

Back