Drag Racing

sccrvettel82

I've been quiet lately...Don't m
Donating Member
Registered
Haven't had the Busa to an official race yet (just a car show with a 330ft show race). I plan on heading to my local 1/4 mile and wanted to know what, if anything is required for participation. The only other bike I used to drag was a V-star and the only requirements were gloves.

When you are racing something as fast as the Busa what all is required, leather pants, kill switch, number plate?
rock.gif
Any help would be great.

I`d say a bigger balls would help. Mine are definitely not big enough, I just watch those crazy people.
super.gif

It might vary from track to track. I would call the track I'm going to.

The local track here is IHRA and they mark your number with soap on the windscreen. They require helmet and jacket until you exceed 100 MPH, then you're required to have pants as well.

This is on tune up night. Buddy Racing.

IHRA sponsored racing I'm sure requires a kill switch as well as other goodies.

Contacted the race way and they said if it is going to be over 120 mph they would greatly appreciate leather pants. I said I don't have any but I do have kevlar pants and other protective gear for my legs, but no leather. They said ok, the more you have the better.
smile.gif

Clutch skillz. Feather that clutch off the line. I launch my 750 @10,000. I never ran the busa yet, so I can't recommend an rpm. Personally, I would start around 5K and work up from there.

I hate to admit it, but I'm scared of the Busa. Use to drag the shid out of a KZ 650 back in the day.

Although the strip may not require leather pants I would recommend them. Draggin jeans won't give you much protection at 100 mph + in case of a spill. You may want to check out www.newenough.com for some great deals on leather pants. You might also find some on the for sale section.

Never really have any problems launching the busa, other than finding the fastest way to to get the throttle WO without wheel spin or wheelies through first gear.
smile.gif
once that is done it is all gravy from there. I normally leave around 5 grand feathering the clutch with progressive throttle roll from there, by the time I am that the top of first the throttle is WO and I am into second. Not the fastest method, but without strapping, lowering, and lengthening, it seems to be the best for keeping the front down.

Every track is different.
In terms of your bike: You will need your kill switch to operate (which I'm sure it does)
You will also need a chain guard if you have any form of tech inspection. Other than that, a bone stock beast can roll down the lanes.

For you: You will need a Snell rated helmet (Most are if they are not modulating - flip up)
You will need a leather or textile jacket, full fingered gloves, boots that come above the ankle. Leather or textile pants are desired for participants, but in all honesty, you are not required to have them at most tracks unless you are running more than a 9.99 in the quarter.

If you don't have any pants I wouldn't do a lot of stressing about it for the first run down the track. You will be more focused on getting things right than you will going fast.

I race each and every week somewhere, plus I run SEMDRA and ProStar. It's all good fun. Once you do it I can promise addiction and a very empty wallet.

Oh, a tip for launching: START SLOW !!!!!!!

I can launch easy at around 3700 and pull a 10.7 with ease on a bone stock bike. If you DO NOT have experience and you try to launch at 4500 - 5000 or more you could find yourself on your head.

I would suggest launching first at 3000. If that goes well then move to 3500. If you still feel comfortable launch at 4000. You may be a natural.

(GSXcite @ May 10 2007,16:46) Although the strip may not require leather pants I would recommend them. Draggin jeans won't give you much protection at 100 mph + in case of a spill. You may want to check out  www.newenough.com for some great deals on leather pants. You might also find some on the for sale section.
That's the key.  

I'd say don't go for the minimum, since you're going all-out; protect yourself as best you can.  I'd go with the best helmet, leather jacket and pants, gloves, and boots.  Don't go cheap where it's REALLY an investment in your future.

Oh, yeah ... good luck!!!
muscle.gif

The track here want leathers over 120 mph. Although I never saw enforcement of it. Also need a kill switch but since newer bikes have tip sensors they did not require mine to have a kill.

Good luck, and dont listen to the people who tell you to launch at 7k-8k rom and dump the clutch. No need to flip the bike on your first trip. I launched at 5k rode the clutch slightly then wide open. And dont forget to use clutchless shifting. I learned the hard way and spun the tire in second gear thus loosing lots of time. I still had a top speed over 120mph even with the tire spin.

whats the best way to shift "clutchless"?.....I mean do you just shift or do you have to do something with the throttle at the same time.....sorry for the question,i have an airshifter and never had a need to shift clutchless...not yet anyway

Air shifter does the same thing. It just shifts. I use my foot you use a button. I back off throttle for a blip shift and nail it again.

Feather the clutch is right. I went to the 1/8 mile track twice and didn't get below a 1.8 60'.
Lauching a bike is much harder than launching a car.

bowdown.gif

(forceofnature @ May 10 2007,15:14) Air shifter does the same thing.  It just shifts.  I use my foot you use a button.  I back off throttle for a blip shift and nail it again.
but the air shifter actually kills the bike for a 1000th of a sec or whatever it is as to not damage anything,i would think just throwing it up a gear may have some negative inpact if not done correctly......do you ever grind a gear??

I appreciate all of the advice however, I can already launch the bike pretty decent. My main concern was on the gear needed for the track.
smile.gif

(busa_bill @ May 10 2007,18:22) Feather the clutch is right. I went to the 1/8 mile track twice and didn't get below a 1.8 60'.
Lauching a bike is much harder than launching a car.

bowdown.gif
You did better than me dude. I didn't get a 1 point ANYTHING for my 60ft times. I'm still in the 2.1 territory.
blush.gif

Back