Dr. Randy Pausch has passed...

el stumpo

Registered
If you haven't heard, Randy Pausch has passed away today. He had his 15minutes of fame as the professor who spoke about his last lecture. Professors at Carnegie Mellon were encourage to give a 'last lecture'- a lecture they would give if they knew it was their last. It was not an exercise.

He was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in Sept of 06.

Here is the youtube of his lecture:
We all have Busas and most of us know about living life - especially on the edge. Be safe my brothers and sisters - and live life.

I know there are a few out there who are battling cancer. Kevin and everyone else - my prayers are with you. I know you can beat it.

peace and prayers.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of an article about him, which can be found here:

Marketwatch.Com Article

Perhaps his most ambitious effort was Alice, a computer programming environment that enables novices to create 3-D computer animations using a drag-and-drop interface. "The best way to teach somebody something," Pausch explained, "is to have them think they're learning something else." With Alice, students concentrate on making movies and games, but they also are learning to program.

Carnegie Mellon makes downloads of the Alice software available for free at www.alice.org. Eight textbooks on Alice have been written. Alice is used by 10 percent of U.S. colleges and in many high schools. Also available is a version for middle school children called "Storytelling Alice," which was designed by Caitlin Kelleher, Pausch's Ph.D. student, to appeal in particular to young girls with hopes of increasing female interest in computer science careers. A new version of Alice, featuring animated characters donated by Electronic Arts from its best-selling game "The Sims," is slated for release in 2009. In his last lecture, Pausch said: "Like Moses, I get to see the Promised Land, but I don't get to step foot in it. That's OK. I will live on in Alice."

Rest in Peace.

The top video is about 1hour and 16 minutes...

Here is the 10 minute short version shown on Oprah:

lurk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This video is worth the time to watch the entire episode. Especially for people like myself, it really shows me how to live my life. We as humans take life for granted....

RIP Dr and fellow Cancer Fighter- you may have lost your battle, but the lives you touched are many, including mine.

I feel for everyone that has to deal with any type of cancer. My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Late Nov 06 and he passed june 07. RIP Dr. Randy Pausch

Wow, I can't beleive I actually watched the entire full lecture! That was great. Very inspiring. Watch for the head fake!

Loved that lecture when I first heard it a few months ago. I need to watch it again.

RIP, Randy.

--Wag--

Back