Doug Herberts Sons Killed in crash!

The Big Al

Registered
Crash kills two sons of NHRA drag racer

11:43 PM EST on Saturday, January 26, 2008

By DIANA RUGG / WCNC
E-mail Diana: DRugg@wcnc.com

CORNELIUS, N.C. -- Two brothers killed in a car accident near Lake Norman have been identified as the sons of Top Fuel Drag Racer Doug Herbert.

Jon Herbert, 18, and James Herbert, 12, died in the crash on Jetton Road near Jetton Park around 10am Saturday.

Friends say the boys were just going out to get some breakfast when they got into the wreck.

Cornelius Police said the older boy was driving a Mazda eastbound on Jetton Road and attempted to pass another car, also going eastbound.

A police statement said the Mazda drove into the westbound lane and was hit by a Hummer going the other way. Both boys died at the scene.

Neighbors identified the driver of the Hummer as Michael Talbot, who lived nearby, and his 11-year-old daughter Caitlyn. Michael Talbot was listed in fair condition at Carolinas Medical Center Saturday night, and Caitlyn had been treated and released.

Classmates of the two boys stopped by the crash site Saturday afternoon to leave flowers.

"I saw this wreck and thought, "Ëœwow this is sad"¦ I feel bad for whoever was involved and their family',"￾ said Trevor Bray, a former classmate of the brothers at SouthLake Christian Academy.

Later, she found out the crash involved friends. She said Jon was a guy you'd always see first when you walked into a room. His little brother James, a Boy Scout, was just settling into 7th grade.

"You don't ever want to think that's gonna happen to someone you know,"￾ said Bray.

Friends gathered at SouthLake Christian Academy Saturday night to share their grief. They talked about how Jon had a "sign"￾ he made with his hands to say hello "“ two fingers and a thumb up, to spell out his initials "JH."￾

Sophomore Evan Arthur said it wasn't a gang sign. "It was just a symbol of friendship really,"￾ said Arthur. Then classmate Tyler Lloyd joined in. "(It was) just"¦ "ËœJon Herbert'."￾

A Christmas picture of the family on Doug Herbert's NHRA website shows Jon making the sign with his hand.

The elder Herbert rushed home from a race in Phoenix after he heard the news. The NHRA website posted a short note about the accident and condolences Saturday night.

The Principal at SouthLake, Dr. Wayne Parker, sent out a letter to parents to tell them of the boys' deaths.

In a phone call Saturday, Dr. Parker told WCNC that Jon was full of personality and loved community service. He was also looking forward to going to college.

But his friends say he was just someone who could make them laugh.

"That's what I'll miss most about him,"￾ said Tyler Lloyd, "having a good time with him."￾

The school plans a special chapel service for the two boys Monday morning, and will have grief counselors on hand to help students get through their loss

Doug's Son Jon was a avaid lover of Motorcycles and raced dirt bikes. Doug's business co-sposering a Motorcycle in NHRA this past year.

Wow, I've been watching Doug Herbert race for years.    Tears
sad.gif

I wish the best for Doug and prayers sent. Hope thru all this he makes it back to the track and keeps doing what he loves to do.

Very sad. Doug is one of the best people you will ever meet, and I'm sure he and his family are heartbroken. My condolences to the herbert family.

Back