DOOM movie

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I saw the DOOM movie last night and was impressed. The sets were solid and faithful to the video game, the action was excellent, the ambience JUST WHAT IT SHOULD BE. HALF the movie I was in the dark corridors with them staring at whatever shadowy things were infront of that stupid flashlight, KNOWING at any second some IMP would be jumping out and taking a slash at me. I THROUGHLY ENJOYED the 1st person fighting scene. The plot is more than just space marines kill the bad stuff, but that is all I'm going to say, except that there was more plot than I was expecting. If you have no clue about the game, the movie still stands on it's own as a decent scary action sci-fi. There's a decent about of blood, but less than other movies of late. 18 and up to avoid night mares.

They did a great job representing the DOOM game and I will buy the DVD when it comes out. I'm inspired to download and play it all over again! There's probably more DOOM3 in the movie than DOOM 1 but whatever, it's all good.

The part that miffed me, was the bawling 4 year old some idiot had brought to the movie. FOUR YEAR OLD!! just enough to say "Daddy... gun! Daddy.. blood! Daddy? Why did a 3 eyed dog eat that man?
rock.gif
" ...and we wonder what is wrong with the children of today? Maybe he didn't have a babytsiter.... but he has s responsibilty for shaping a young child.

THAT was the scariest thing I saw in the theater.

aaa.jpg

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130643447 -->

I can not really say much, I let my 5 year old boy watch Land of the Dead, SAW, Resident Evil 1 & 2, 28 Days and a few others.....but they were at home with me.

So maybe in a few years I will be posting about my slasher son.

I can't tell parents anything, HOP, but I have personally spoken with several people I came to know that were DEEPLY AFFECTED in bad ways by watching scary movies at too young an age. I mean serious psychological programming they may never recover from. You would think "Grow up and just get over it" but it stays with them in and through adulthood even though to us it might seem silly because it hit them during their ABSORBTION phase.

I think is helps them differentiate between reality and fantasy. I love it when my boy says, that is fake dad then runs outside and plays zombie with his sisters.
He also loves Ultimate Fighter also, so he has no chance of a normal life.

My 10 year old Daughter hears about alot worse stuff when she watches Law and Order with me, then I have to explain the crimes to her.

Hey I saw the movie too and I liked it as well except:

-The Rock cannot act. Never thought he could, but he still can't. However, he didn't do that stupid eyebrow thing, so I give him an A for effort.

-I don't think it followed the game EXACTLY. I haven't played doom 3 and I haven't played doom 1 since it came out X amount of years ago. But I remember it having a very occult feel to it. I don't think genetic engineering was the cause in the original game, but more supernatural forces. I could be wrong, but I really hate how movies based on video games (cough...final fantasy...cough) deviate so much from the original plot of the game.

Anyways....there wasn't a whole lot of cool stuff that happened in the movie, but enough violence and eye candy to make it seeable....and there was even a random boobie in there.

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130608209 -->

I saw the DOOM movie last night and was impressed.  The sets were solid and faithful to the video game, the action was excellent, the ambience JUST WHAT IT SHOULD BE.  HALF the movie I was in the dark corridors with them staring at whatever shadowy things were infront of that stupid flashlight, KNOWING at any second some  IMP would be jumping out and taking a slash at me.  I THROUGHLY ENJOYED the 1st person fighting scene.  The plot is more than just space marines kill the bad stuff, but that is all I'm going to say, except that there was more plot than I was expecting.  If you have no clue about the game, the movie still stands on it's own as a decent scary action sci-fi.  There's a decent about of blood, but less than other movies of late.  18 and up to avoid night mares.

They did a great job representing the DOOM game and I will buy the DVD when it comes out.  I'm inspired to download and play it all over again!  There's probably more DOOM3 in the movie than DOOM 1 but whatever, it's all good.

The part that miffed me, was the bawling 4 year old some idiot had brought to the movie. FOUR YEAR OLD!!  just enough to say "Daddy... gun!  Daddy.. blood!   Daddy?  Why did a 3 eyed dog eat that man?
rock.gif
"   ...and we wonder what is wrong with the children of today?  Maybe he didn't have a babytsiter.... but he has s responsibilty for shaping a young child.

THAT was the scariest thing I saw in the theater.

doom203.jpg
thanks for review bro.
I wanted to see that one!

I've played Doom and Quake since the first versions and I wasn't too pleased with the way the Doom movie deviated from the game.

For instance:

1) In Doom 3 you can't attach your flashlight to your gun unless you get an aftermarket patch (not supplied by Id Software) - you have to switch between the flashlight and gun (which is a pain and shouldn't have been like that in the first place, but apparently they hadn't invented duct tape yet...)

2) The monsters in the movie were mutant humans. Where was the Arch-Vile, the Hell Knight, the Mancubus, the flying Cacodemons etc.?

3) In Doom you kill the monsters, you don't arbitrarily kill the humans (most of them were already dead by the time you got there anyway.)

4) What planet was that? May as well have made it Earth.

5) The woman may have looked good but she wasn't in the original version.

6) There were a lot of occult references in the original Doom which lead to accusations of the authors being Satanists. What happened to that stuff?

7) There weren't any "good" mutants and "bad" mutants, all of them were evil and needed to be fragged ASAP.

8) What happened to the hell portal?

9) The archeological excavation was a non-event in the movie.

10) What happened to the outdoor sequences, and the monorail etc.?

11) The BFG was cool, but where were the rocket launcher, plasma rifle, soul cube etc.?

12) Who chose The Rock to play the lead?

13) Nanoportals?

I wish Peter Jackson had made the movie, then at least it would have been more accurate (he's working on the movie of Halo by the way.)

The only redeeming factors in this disappointing movie were:

The BFG (but not used enough.)
Pinky Demon (cyber dog)
The brief first-person perspectives.

Other than that, it was yet another "Alien" knockoff and had little to nothing to do with Doom. It was obviously reworked in an effort to give it "wider appeal" and maximize profits. Quite frankly, why bother making a movie of a video game that has an established fan-base and appeals to a specific segment of society, then change it so that it doesn't? You might say it was inspired by Doom, but don't call it Doom, that's misleading marketing.

One day someone will make a movie that actually reflects the game it was inspired by, this isn't it.

And make it for adults for a change.

<!--EDIT|DAB
Reason for Edit: "Discombobulation Error"|1130631268 -->

I've played Doom and Quake since the first versions and I wasn't too pleased with the way the Doom movie deviated from the game.

For instance:

And make it for adults for a change.

I do agree with all your points. But, if you try to enjoy it as not recreating the whole series of games in one movie, it does ok. NOT great to the die hards.
smile.gif
There are glaring errors to us DOOM know it alls [like me too] but I would rather have this movie than none at all. Heck, I was designing the movie one year after the first game came out. Except consisted of the screen split 4 ways, real camera's attached to the helmets, full sets and carefully coreographed action of slaughtering thru the first section, showing all four characters fighting their way to the hell portal. CGI wrecked the need to do all that, but MY version would have been cooler! To star, I figured: Arnold S, Silvester S, Jean Claude V, Wesley Snipes as the Space Marines.

Incidently. DOOM v.5 or less [or something like that] had the full story in a text file and it was movie worthy. Later versions sort of summerized it into 2 paragrpahs: marine goes to mars to battle hell spawn critters. Find the original text and it's really interesting.

The OTHER thing I really missed was the original theme music! I didn't figure they'd actually use it, but it would have been AWESOME, I think, if they had.

Ok. It took some work, but I found the original REAL DOOM Plot, or what the movie should have REALLY been:

------------------------------------------------------------á
THE STORY SO FAR
------------------------------------------------------------á
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in ááááááá
combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted
a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon ááá
civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl ááááááá
Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the ááááá
Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive áá
waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and áááááá
Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day áááá
consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in á
the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest ááááááááá
supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and áááááá
Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including áááááááá
research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have
been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, ááááááá
throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out áá
the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown áááááááá
dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them áááá
have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form á
of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that á
breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-áááá
body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to ááá
the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports áááá
state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but ááá
everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from áááááááá
Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something áááá
fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer áááááááá
systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon áááá
afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, á
attempts to establish contact with either moon have been ááááá
unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty áááááááá
million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were áááááááá
ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest ááá
of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio ááááááá
picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling ááááá
orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. áááááá
Seems your buddies are dead.

It's Up To You ááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááááá
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off áááá
the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have ááááá
been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a ááááááá
pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma ááááá
rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your áááá
way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of ááá
pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the áá
landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial ááááááááá
firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear áá
animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. á
They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130643188 -->

BAH, It's a fuggin movie based on a friggen video game... And we have folks looking for consistancy?
laugh.gif
Holy crap, Hello... Video Game- Movie!!! The ROCK?? Any of this ring a bell? Faithful?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing it, thanks for the review WWJD, glad to see you here Bro...

Rev

laugh.gif

Thanks for the reviews.... will be seeing the flick real soon.... Like today!
tounge.gif

BAH, It's a fuggin movie based on a friggen video game...  And we have folks looking for consistancy?
laugh.gif
  Holy crap, Hello... Video Game- Movie!!!  The ROCK??  Any of this ring a bell?  Faithful?
rock.gif

laugh.gif

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to seeing it, thanks for the review WWJD, glad to see you here Bro...

Rev
That doesn't change the fact that it sucks, even if you ignore the fact that it has nothing to do with Doom, and just view it as an action movie.

My recommendation, don't waste your money at the cinema, watch on DVD at home.

laugh.gif

I used to be a fan of the original doom game. Now I have Doom3 on the XBOX and the game is too fugging dark. You can't see shid. I don't like that. Maybe I need to make more progreee in the game to change environement, but up to now it sucks

nothing to do with DOOM? ? ? ?

1. name: DOOM
2. space marines kicking rear on Mars
2.5 w/ big guns
3. dark and spooky
4. UAC conducting experiments creating bad things
5. gateway/portal
6. 1st person perspective
7. stuff jumping out of dark corners

what else do you need? It's DOOOOM!

I played some DOOM and DOOM3 this weekend - DOOM 3 just doesn't have 'it'. DOOM STILL makes me jump... DOOM 3 is only about watching a movie pass infront of you while you go "oooooh cool grahpics". Download ZDOOM and play the old DOOM demo in high res mode graphics! YEAH, BABY!

Back