Doing the 1st maintenance myself

FJRider

Registered
I've decided to do my 1st maintenance check myself. Besides the oil/filter change, and general inspection; fluid levels, chain adjust, and throttle cable slop adjust, anyone know what else the dealership does on this 1st check up, besides making the wallet lighter?

Follow the manual, check the torque on all chasis bolts. I personally checked the toruqe on everything and for general tightness on any other bolts/nuts. Clutch and brake foot and hand levers.

I did my first oil change 550 miles oil,filter = $40.00 I also checked the bottom of my oil bucket to see if there was any metal shavings there was it looked like a metal flake paint job but I also seen red and blue shavings
rock.gif
?? Going to do the next @ 1000.

all you need to do is sve all reciepts and use the proper suzuki products(all of which are listed in the owners manual) and you are good on the warranty.

Why am I doing it myself? Because a good portion of the times I've taken just about anything I own into a shop for repair or general service, they screw it up. Plus $60-100/hr labor rates, unskilled mechs, mechs that don't seem to care, backlogged work = waiting, not in any hurry to get parts should they need them, etc. You can find evidence of this sort of thing on just about any forum. I'm tired of this kind of treatment.
mad.gif
Even if my dealer said they'd do the service for free, I'd prefer to do it myself. No one is going to care more about your bike, than you.

As for warranty, yep, use OEM parts, keep records and receipts, and you're ok.
cool.gif

Back