Doh... won't start... Your advise please...

trip

Donating Member
Registered
Hi all!

It's been quite awhile since I've been here, but as they say... they always return home eventually...

Here's my story...

'03 Busa, Yoshi cans, Power commander, no Pair valve - no other mechanical mods.

I was riding a few times a week for quite awhile... let her sit for 3 weeks and had to jump to get going.

2 weeks later, tried it again, wouldn't start, wouldn't jump start... battery....

Installed new battery... still won't start or jumpstart...

Bad plugs???... installed new plugs... no luck.

So a neighbor of mine that's handy came by...

We confirmed... there is spark...fuel filter is clean.

When trying to start, Fuel shoots once at first and then stops shooting though the pump continues to pump.

Is this by design?

Is there a sensor somewhere that's stopping it?

a bad fuel pump? ... bad pressure gauge? ...

Might be the Power commander... disconnected it, no difference...

The only thing I can think of is pressure test of the fuel pump.

Other Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

..., trip

When you turn the key is the headlight bright?

Is it on a rear stand, kickstand up - down? Run switch on? Are the wires on the tabs behind the clutch lever?

Blown fuse, from cranking it to long?

I am no expert just throwing out some things that might be overlooked...my bike wouldn't turn over on a dead batt that wouldn't hold a charge. New batt solved the problem.

Good luck...Ryan

When you swapped batts...is everythig tight?

Some good thoughts... thanks for the reply!

I found the issue while it was on the kickstand, but moved it to a rear stand with the kickstand up after that.

I don't think it could be the thumb kill switch as the chek error isn't showing.

The headlight is bright and the F1 error flashes once at startup normally, but then blinks on and off.

Fuse doesn't make sense to me as the fuel pump in working, but... what else would have a fuse that would cause this? I guess I could check the fuse box...

hmm... others?

Not an expert but sounds like the fuel pump is shot
dunno.gif

That's what I was thinking...

any ideas if there's another sensor doing something I don't know about?

The fuel tank & filters were perfectly clean and I don't have that many miles on her... strange that the puel pump would go bad... isn't it?

hmm...

other thoughts?

That's what I was thinking...

any ideas if there's another sensor doing something I don't know about?

The fuel tank & filters were perfectly clean and I don't have that many miles on her... strange that the puel pump would go bad... isn't it?

hmm...

other thoughts?
Like I said before, I'm not an expert. But mileage doesn't really matter much with parts like fuel pumps. Good luck w/ it bro

try spraying some carb cleaner in the throttle body and see if it tries to start.. it will tell you if it`s a fuel or ign problem. i`m assuming it doe`s crank over?? did you check the tipover switch? they are a problem sometimes.

The headlight is bright and the F1 error flashes once at startup normally, but then blinks on and off.
Do you know how to do the paper clip trick to see the code for your FI light??

A fuel pressure test will tell you if your pump is bad/filter clogged.

My fuel pump started going bad on me at about 30,000+ miles on my '02. But it gave warning signs and progressively got worse. At first it wasn't delivering enough fuel at super high rpms, but as it got worse it wasn't delivering enough fuel to a lower and lower rpm. I actually thought the clutch was slipping
blush.gif

also..some of the older busa`s had a problem with the "sock" or whatever you want to call it in the tank getting clogged if it`s a fuel problem.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I'll give the carb cleaner a try! Great idea! Yes, it is trying to turn over.

Charles, I'll need to find that paperclip trick. I'll search the board for it, but I may be calling you
smile.gif

Thanks all... I'll let ya know!
bowdown.gif

Take off the rider's seat and look for a 4 holed plug that has 2 wires connected to the back of it. It should be behind the battery but in front of the tool kit, it can be buried down deep, so you might have to really look for it.

The bike has to be on and the FI illuminated/flashing to get the code. Take a paper clip to use as a jumper and jump the 2 holes in the 4 holed plug that the 2 wires are connected to. Then look at your clock and it will display a horizontal line(tps indicator) and a C followed by 2 numbers. Take the C code and look it up in the service manual.

So...

I'm feeling a bit foolish, but also think I should pass this on to others that might find the same booboo...

It seems that I hadn't attached the ground for the ECU when I replaced the battery. I thought it belonged to my alarm so... It gave me a 32, 33, 34, 35 error. The book gives all sorts of posibilities ... could have been a costly error...

So now, there's a new issue..

Bike won't idle, and runs really rich.

I'm assuming it's an issue caused by me getting to the plugs to swap them out.

No error codes this time, just running rough and seems like the timing is off.

I have tried reloading the map on my PC3r... no luck...

I'm thinking I missed a vacuum line or...

Ideas?

Back