Does anyone have tips for wet weather operation?

... The more seat time you have in bad weather the more semi-comfortable you'll feel.

+1000 to everything everybody else has said, ESPECIALLY THIS!

The only way to get comfortable with wet riding is to actually do it. No substitution for experience. Lots of folks go down when it rains because they avoid it like the plague so have no idea what they and their bikes can and can't do. Sooner or later EVERYONE will be caught in the rain. It's better to know what to do before the inevitable happens.

Also, quick-shift to keep the revs low and avoid painted lines.

SMOOTH, SMOOTH SMOOTH, what ever you do do it smooth! Sounds like there is not much help or tip, but if you focus on all inputs and make them smooth, you will be ok. Steering, breaking, accelerate, shift, lane changes. Smooth, nothing quick, or snapy just be smooth and ride like a newbie (slow, and upright) and you will be on your way to a dryspot

Nothing beats riding with the sun shining on your back. A nice warm spring day seems to bring out motorcycles and bugs in equal numbers. Unfortunately, there will be times when the skies open up and riding in the rain becomes unavoidable. Here are some strategies for riding in wet conditions.

First, don't panic! If you're caught out unaware, consider slowing down or even stopping. Some showers and thunderstorms pass quickly and by stopping you might be able to avoid the rain entirely. Check the weather forecast, be prepared for the rain with the proper clothing and motorcycle gear, and plan your trip accordingly. If you don't stop, you should be aware of the additional risks.

Slick roads :
The first few minutes after the rain starts can be the most dangerous time to ride. The water mixes with the oil, dirt and road debris creating a slick surface. Motorcycle tires put down a very narrow footprint and once the pavement gets slippery, traction is limited.

Try to avoid riding during this initial period. The water will eventually wash away the road grime and the pavement will then just be wet. While traction is still reduced, modern tire technology will still supply up to 80 percent of the grip of dry weather riding. Even so, a rider must exercise restraint and be smooth in the application of all controls.

Throttle and clutch control must be smooth -- avoid sudden acceleration or braking especially in a curve where traction is already limited. Certain roadway features like railroad tracks, bridge gratings and even painted lines and markings will be very slippery and should be crossed with care. Above all, leave extra time and space so you don't have to take any sudden actions.

Hydroplaning :
A vehicle will hydroplane when water builds up and creates a layer of water between the tires and the road. Hydroplaning results in a complete loss of traction and will cause a skid or a fall and must be avoided at all costs. Normally, hydroplaning will occur when you try to drive through a deep puddle, but it could also occur during periods of heavy rain when the roadway does not have time to drain sufficiently. If you notice these circumstances, slow down and consider stopping if you continue to encounter possible hydroplaning conditions.

When shopping for rain gear, make sure there is reflective material somewhere on it. Don't buy it if there is none. This passenger has it on her arms and legs.

Reduced visibility makes it hard to see :
Riding in the rain has other risks as well. Your ability to see ahead of you is reduced. Rain droplets will hit your shield or goggles and, depending on temperature, they may also fog up, impairing your vision. If you normally ride with a tinted visor, as I do, make sure you bring a clear shield that you can use when the rain starts.

You can also treat your shield with an anti-fog product. At the minimum, your shield or goggles should be clean and have a minimum of scratches that impair visibility. Wear gloves that have a rubber wiper on the left hand so you can clear your shield quickly if needed. Do not override your visibility; leave sufficient room and look as far ahead as possible to anticipate hazards.

Reduced visibility prevents others from seeing you :
Just as you have difficulty seeing, other drivers will have a hard time seeing you. Now is the best time to use bright and reflective material as part of your riding gear. Consider purchasing a reflective vest. It can be carried with you in a tank bag or saddlebag and taken out when visibility is poor (or at night).

Sometimes we're forced to ride in the rain. These riders have a schedule to keep. They've rested and warmed up, ready to brave the wet conditions once again.

While riding in the rain may never be as pleasurable as being out on a bright, warm, sunny day, it can be tolerable if you're prepared with the right gear and attitude. If you're aware of the weather, prepared for the rain and cold and outfit you and your motorcycle properly, then riding in the rain doesn't have to be unpleasant. Practice riding as smoothly as possible, avoid panic and leave yourself enough space and time to avoid any sudden actions so you will be able to ride in wet weather more safely.

Hi Guys,

Echo the smoothness of all movements, and the increased space cushion! I dont like the rain, but if I have been caught in it, I do stay with traffic... except for freeway onramps! I always feel like I am just a hairs breath from sliding during wet turns, and get really freaked out by tailgating cages! So... I dont like riding in the rain!

I'm sure it's all been said already, but just back off on the speed a touch, and be SMOOOOOTH.
Ridin' in the wet is actually fun! I like to slide! :thumbsup:

I come from 'Sunny' England and we have pretty much nothing but wet weather here. The more you ride in the wet the more you get used to it, as everyone has said take things nice, steady and smoothly. With experience you'll be amazed at just what you can get away with in the wet. Full throttle isn't a problem, just take your time. Same goes with braking, use more of the back brake and don't slam them on, i was told by my riding instructor when i learnt to ride, picture a stegasaurus, thin head, fat body and thin tail, try and apply the same principle to your braking, wet or dry weather, start gently, build up pressure and as you come to a stop ease it off. Hope this helps and i havn't repeated too much on what other people have said.

Or you could do the easy thing and take the car instead lol

:laugh:My thoughts are a little off compared to the rest. I ride in the rain alot. Get a good wide straight road, with no traffic. 1st, 2nd gear, slow speed, let it tach up sum, let off, snap the gas, break it loose. Let it spin and step out some, as soon as you feel it, let off, progress to a small drift.
This may sound foolish to some, but knowing what your bike will do in a spin or slide on a wet road will help you should the unexpected arise.
My reasoning has always been to push the envelope, and know exactly what you're workin with, but controlled, not crazy.

drive a car when it's wet. seriously tho, don't go fast, don't turn fast, don't stop fast. smooth is the word of the day, leave lots of room to slow down, and be very careful on the brakes.

raingear.....the best way to stay alert, is to be warm as and dry as possible. reaction times will increase, and reactions will slow if you are cold and uncomfortable.

be smooth, look further down the road so you are not surprised by conditions.

We need more wet weather pics. :cheerleader:

Img_2974_BusaBigSur.jpg

Img_2974_BusaBigSur.jpg

This is what we teach in the MSF class: On wet or slippery services--NO SUDDEN CHANGES IN SPEED OR DIRECTION!

Always double check and be sure your tires are mounted in the right direction. If they are backward, it won't cause problems in dry roads but on a wet road it's a heartbreaker.

And head breaker. :D

Whatever you do, don't panic. Just stay relaxed, double up on your attention to other vehicles, especially those behind you and keep on cruising.

Normally, I don't even slow down, really, unless the water is puddling up. On well-built roads, this isn't much of an issue because good roads are designed to shed water fairly efficiently. If the water starts to puddle up really bad, I'll get off the road and stop and wait it out. If I have no choice but to keep going, I at least pace traffic and make sure I'm visible. Staying out front is a good idea but don't cruise in the middle of a lot of cars. It will hamper your visibility.

And have fun in it. On a hot day in the summer, it can really be refreshing to get caught in a little squall.

:D

--Wag--

Always double check and be sure your tires are mounted in the right direction. If they are backward, it won't cause problems in dry roads but on a wet road it's a heartbreaker.

And head breaker. :D

Actually it will cause the tire to heat up more. They will heat up to the point of getting greasy if you are riding hard.

I had a set of PP 2CTs that Reno Motorsports mounted. They mounted the rear tire backwards and assured me that it wouldn't be a problem in the dry weather. The tires did pretty well in the rain on the way home. When I took the bike to the track the rear tire kept wiggling around after a few laps. It was stepping out enough to be trouble. During the session break I talked to the Michelin Rep and asked him about the tire pressures for that tire. He almost flipped out when he noticed my rear tire was on wrong. I pulled the rear wheel off and he flipped and rebalanced it for me. The rest of the day the tire was much better behaved.

What about a dual compound tire? I bought my bike with the stock Bridgestone front, but a Michelen something or other dual compound rear. Do the outers being "sticky" react differently in the wet weather?

Smooth, control your entry speed into the corner, ride outside in, turn your head and look. one can actually move a bike without leaning it very much with a long field of view and a steady throttle hand..............after the initial 20 - 30 miniutes you have 80% of you normal traction available, of course on a busa you would want it in the low power mode .....Kieth :rulez:

Just ride! but carefully. oh boy did i get tore up for this one.... it was raining pretty good when this was taken

028.jpg

Only input I would have is to be smooth on both acceleration and slowing or coming to a stop.

Try the "C" mode...be smooth with the throttle, brakes, and steering inputs :thumbsup:

be smooth on the controls

Slower inputs, slower braking, smooth changes in everything that you do.

SMOOTH, SMOOTH SMOOTH, what ever you do do it smooth! Sounds like there is not much help or tip, but if you focus on all inputs and make them smooth, you will be ok. Steering, breaking, accelerate, shift, lane changes. Smooth, nothing quick, or snapy just be smooth and ride like a newbie (slow, and upright) and you will be on your way to a dryspot

I'm sure it's all been said already, but just back off on the speed a touch, and be SMOOOOOTH.

be smooth, look further down the road so you are not surprised by conditions.

Smooth, control your entry speed into the corner, ride outside in, turn your head and look.

i see a common theme :D
being smooth and steady and cautious with the controls is not only easier for the tires to handle but also gives you more time to tell things are starting to upset.
another thing is to keep "good" tire pressures. the recommended pressure is complete bull****. that's the pressure for highway riding with bags and a girl on the back. that's the minimum amount of traction you can have. so taking pilot sports, for instance, from 42 recommended psi down to 34psi (or a little less.. for <=1000cc at least.. not entirely sure on larger bikes, personally) will give you a lot more traction to use. mileage will suffer a little but i'd rather replace a tire twice as often as compared to replacing messed up plastics

Back