Do any of you use intercom systems?

bigbusamike

Registered
Just wondering if you all use any and what you think of them. I was thinking about useing a walkie talkie with a vox system, anyone use this what did you think about it

I would love to find something that works well. Chatterbox leaves a little to be desired. Scala makes a unit I have heard good reviews about but I cant pay that price. I may look at something later I have had my eye on.
I am thinking along the lines of the walkie. A throat mic with an earpiece, with PTT.

All my friends and I use the Chatterbox. Some of them have the Bluetooth; I do not. We all got the 5mile radius model and as important as the comms are between us, it allows me to use my iPod all day, without putting buds directly into my ears (illegal in Cali).

Not that I'm all law-abiding or anything, I'm as felonious as the next guy...but it does allow just the right amount of ambient sound.

Now that I think about it, all of my helmets (except one) have the headset installed... That way, I can choose a helmet and not have to worry about switching the headset. It's an installation process that you don't want to have to 'un-do' everytime you want to switch helmets.

I'm sure there are other considerations for your application, but that's my report on the Chatterbox X-1.

Good luck, yo!

I have enough trouble keeping it between the ditches without carrying on a conversion with my mates at the same time!

I have the new Scala2 system. It has bluetooth, Ipod adapter etc. Works great, voice activated, only down side is range is only 1/3 mile. When I am out of range, my Wife calls me w/ the bluetooth. You can listen to music then the intercom or call comes in & turns off music to talk. Very compact too. Found it new on e-bay new for $279 shipped for 2 complete units.

I have the new Scala2 system. It has bluetooth, Ipod adapter etc. Works great, voice activated, only down side is range is only 1/3 mile. When I am out of range, my Wife calls me w/ the bluetooth. You can listen to music then the intercom or call comes in & turns off music to talk. Very compact too. Found it new on e-bay new for $279 shipped for 2 complete units.

Ditto that!

I have been using the cheaper Scalo Teamset, which is meant for driver and passenger, as well as bluetooth. Works great, no wires, and loud/clear sound...

Not that I would advocate it, but in testing, I have taken a phone call doing 85+ on the interstate and she could hear me very well, and I could hear the wife as if she was sitting next to me munching on my ear...

Went this route as I found a "new" used set locally for $125 (retail is around 200 for the teamset)

HRH and I have the Scala Team set which is great for two up on the bike + blue tooth for the phone. 00BusaTX and his wife have the Q2's and are quite happy with them. On the list ride he and I took, the Q2 will fit on the same base as the team set so we tried them out and the bike to bike communication was fantastic and we never had a range issue.

I use a Chatterbox FRS-X2 and it works well. Speaker and microphone placement are critical for proper function. I had to add foam behind the speakers in order to hear them with my Cannon system.

Definately the Scala Q2's. The bike to bike is about 500ft however remember if you have a bluetooth enabled cell phone, you can make the long-er distance calls to an equally equipped individual (depending on coverage). If you have a motorcycle specific GPS (ie a zumo) you can hook it up as well and you'll get the audio direction portion. The unit is small compact and can last a full day's ride. It also has a built in FM reciever with up to 6 presets if I recall. Oh one more thing you can have up to 3 units synced up for a group (perfect for a lead, mid, and a sweep). running wires

Only drawbacks are: can be a real bummer with earplugs on the highway (as you can imagine); At speed, the mic. can trigger from the wind noise; You can't change the ring tone (god save the queen, no guess where it's made huh); Other then that it's a pretty bulletproof piece of kit. Finally, best of all it's an independent system you don't have to muck around with the bike wiring and all that jazz and taking up valuable trunk/hump space.

Last edited:
I just ordered a couple of chatterbox frs they were on sale for 134.00 Liked the others but they were a little bit pricey for me and others just had limited bike to bike communication. Group rides now are at 4 on a regular basis + passengers and sometimes 6-7 bikes. It really is a pain in the ass communicating with hand signals, signal we end up using the most now is the middle finger to each other.:laugh: Not to mention its getting dangerous now to pull all over on the side of road and talk about a change of plan or route.
I'll let you know how they work when I get em should be delivered on the 11/10 if shipping goes well. Probably a better deal on ebay but I am not to fond of that site for that kinda stuff.

If you phone has the newer bluetooth (V2.0 i think it is) then it will send your ringtone to the headset.

I had that annoying ring tone on the scala q2 until last week when i got a new phone, now im using it with a Nokia N96 and its amazing, it sends the ring tone to your ears, it announces the callers name if its in your address, it will even read text messages via a voice command. it also recognises any name in your address book, you dont have to record any voice tags. a huge improvement.

overall, after a couple of months using the scala, i will say it is without doubt the best bike related purchase i have ever made. (people will start to think i work for them, but i dont!)

i used it on the busa with ear plugs in last week on a 200mile ride up the motorway, just turned the volume up a bit and it worked even better than without ear plugs, as the plugs removed all the wind noise but didnt dull the vocal frequencies very much so calls were really clear.

if you are buying it for the radio, i would agree there are probably better products, but personally i dont listen to music while riding (oh the new nokia will also play mp3 over the bluetooth too) so its not a problem to me.

Andy.

ChattaBox FRS-X2, As PDBusa would say!:mwink:

Works well but I haven't used anything else to compare it to.

Back