diff size cams

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
got a quik question. i was wondering why most of the people put in a bigger intake cam than the exhaust cam. why dont people put the same size in the intake and exhaust. thank you

You are more limited on the exhaust side...the intake side, the valve is opening and closing as the piston is moving down...on the exhaust side the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder when the valve has to open and close while the piston is moving up towards the valve. There is more time on the intake side...without worry of piston to valve contact.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are more limited on the exhaust side...the intake side, the valve is opening and closing as the piston is moving down...on the exhaust side the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder when the valve has to open and close while the piston is moving up towards the valve. There is more time on the intake side...without worry of piston to valve contact.
Posted via Mobile Device

+1
I would also add that the cyl is under considerable pressure when the exhaust cam needs to open the valves so, in a sense the exhaust cam has a good deal of help evacuating the cyl. Thus a bigger cam or larger valve is not needed. The intake has no such help getting air/fuel into the cyl.
This is the reason that supercharged/turbocharged motors typically run smaller cams than a modded n/a or even nitrous assisted motors of a similar hp level. The air/fuel has a "boost"(pun intended:laugh:) so a larger cam or valves is not needed. Since more air/fuel is forced into the cyl, then there will be even more exhaust pressure(than the non boosted motor) once its ignited, so the exhaust cam will still be smaller than the intake.
There are other factors at work, but I think you prolly get the idea?

Edit: Did any of that make sense? I've not had alot of sleep, and i'm not sure its understandable...sorry.

Back