Details on my accident

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I've been waiting on the real story to be told from the PD that investigated the accident. I spoke to the officer and confirmed a couple of things...

1. I thought that the driver of the truck stopped or hesitated once he pulled from the Intersection, as it turns out he pulled into the first lane as a van was turning onto the street he was pulling out of. When the van made the turn the truck thought it was clear so he started to pull out, I saw that and went left before he made it into my lane.. I was thinking I will go in front of this truck, then he took off again pulling into my lane, I new I could not make it to the left because I would be going in front of the truck and get run over. Apparently the truck stopped because they were blinded from the reflection of off the van, when they thought it was clear they came on across....

2. I new that I grabbed the front brake hard but not sure how hard. Witnesses said that The back of the bike was off the ground and I was running on the front wheel only as soon as I hit the brakes. I left 51 feet of front wheel deceleration skid on the road.... (The officer asked a bunch of highschool kids that was in a restaraunt if they had a camera with a pic by chance and they said it was the coolest thing ever to see)

3. The PD stated that my skids were consistant with my story that I started left then went right, ultimately whacking the truck...

4. My helmet did hit the top of the truck and was deflected into the drivers window (see the pics in the gallery of the dent my head left in the truck) where my face shield was ripped off, my head broke the glass and went through the window and tagged the driver who was knocked into the passenger. I was told the drivers nose was bloodied (understatement) and the wife had a blunt injury on the side of her head from her husbands head whacking her.....

5. I am totally alive because of a few factors...

a. God was watching over me
     b. I had a helmet and riding jacket on
     c. I was able to shed a lot of speed using the front    brake....

What I want to know is how much speed did I get rid of by applying the brakes when and how I did.... So if anyone out there is bored run me a test... Mark 51 feet in a parking lot, run up to 45 or 50 and see what your speed is when you hit the end of the 51 feet. Using your front brake only ( My rear wasnt on the ground so it was useless) and let me know what you think my impact speed was. I think that because I was able to kill off a lot of energy I only hit the truck running somewhere between 15 and 30 mph. This would also explain why I came out of this deal practically unscathed... No broken bones no long term damage at this point.....

Let me know what you guys find...

Cap

I am sure there is a mathmatical equation somewhere that can tell us this.

wow
SHOCKED.gif
i am lost for words about that at lease you handled yourself very well good job bro

Wow, glad it wasn't any worse!!

How's your body healing up? I hope your recovery is quick!

Im glad to see you have witnesses,, when i crashed 10 years ago, nothing made sense of what happened! Your witnesses statements at least refresh your memory!

Thanks for the update boss. I chatted with your wife on the phone and got the scoop that way.

Heal up boss, RSD.

Any Accident Investigation PD on the board?

800 pounds on front tire (what tire specific?) at max decel equals what delta vee after 51 feet?

Again, thank God you're OK, Cap.

Honestly, I'd leave the "test" to one of our physicists or mathematicians, since it sounds like it could be dangerous (since they may end up doing a "stoppie").

And it brings up a good point (aside from wearing full gear) that I remember reading in Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques": that you should practice stopping (on the track) to enable you to safely stop as quickly as possible.

Cap, you exhibited skills honed through many years of experience. Either that or you were real lucky. In any case, heal up and saddle up bro ! Glad your mostly ok !

Dude that's an awesome melon you got. Totals truck and injures both driver and passenger. No head butts from you.

Hope you're doing alright; any word on bike or is it...............................................................'08 time

I'm gonna go with the luck thing.... Anytime someone thinks they got it all figured out something worse will happen to prove them wrong... I may be an average rider but there was someone else taking care of me last weekend....

(captain @ Jul. 29 2007,13:51) I'm gonna go with the luck thing.... Anytime someone thinks they got it all figured out something worse will happen to prove them wrong... I may be an average rider but there was someone else taking care of me last weekend....
lucky, blessed, and smart enough to put your gear on...those three can get you out of a lot of jams...glad you are improving
beerchug.gif

Don't know how solve that equation, but I'm really glad you're OK.

Thanks all, its amazing how a little crash can get your perspectives back where they need to be.

capt i am glad your allright and very proud of you to give the number one thanks to the reason for life.

Back